Android's Andy Rubin Slaps Down Apple's New Siri

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You are correct of course, technology is not the basis of douchbaggery, people are...Thank you for pointing that out to everyone[/citation]

Says the man who calls Apple 'douchbaggery'....

I wonder if you think Apple is a person.

What was it you said again.. 'I gave up long ago'... lol I think so did your parents.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]Ohh wow... The Apple fanboys really come out of the woodwork giving me thumbs-down... ROFL!!! Glad I could ruffle some feathers... But if you really think it has no merit to the topic, heh... You may not like what I say, but it is on topic... Anyhow, back to the discussion...HUGE difference between someone in the car who can also see what's going on and someone elsewhere with no clue. People as a whole just can't drive, let alone drive and do something else at the same time... The person who killed mine using a headset... Did them a whole lot of good didn't it... The simple, unarguable truth is, when people talk, there focus is elsewhere... There's been many studies that even hands-free, driving on the phone is no safer then driving intoxicated...So now they'll add hands-free texting (again, still nothing 'new' though), which is just as complicated. You have to think of the person, what you're going to say, verify it did it right, etc. All of this is less attention you're paying to the ROAD... Maybe, when your kid has a closed-casket funeral due to someone driving on the phone, only then you'll actually understand the problem...The problem is, people don't "also talk on the phone", they "also drive the car". And this isn't a woman or man thing or teenager thing... Far too many people think their conversation is more important then paying attention to the road. They might not think so out loud but they get so caught up in their conversations they stop paying full attention to the road... Ever missed your turn cause you were talking? Or even just listening to the radio? You had a lapse of concentration. That little bit is all it takes to kill someone... People need to focus on driving... Period...As for 'they will do it anyhow'... Yea, and they should get arrested... Make alcohol illegal (they did) and they will do it anyhow... Drugs are illegal, look at all of that out there... It's all about what you should be penalized for... Not what you will or won't do... DUI penalties aren't nearly high enough as it is... But phone related accidents should be right there with em. Making it illegal alone won't do much... But the penalties will be much more severe instead of just 'opps, sorry your kid is a pretzel... Insurance will take care of the car (if they even have any)... But I was on the phone...'... That right there is just the example of what does happen all the time... Talking on the phone isn't a crime while driving (here, it is in other countries).Yes, hands-free does help... But really not that much... People still die... And it's the lack of attention that is the problem. And there should be some serious penalty for it... Do whatever you want, but you hurt someone, you're going to pay the price... And more then just a slap on the wrist and increased insurance premiums...How in the heck is that a good strategic decision?!? Buy a nice product and limit it to only your stuff, which is a whopping 28% of the marketshare... Where there are other competing products available to the other 72% as well as your 28%... So spend WAY TOO MUCH money on the company initially (they'll never make that investment back, they even said so in the reviews just after the purchase...) and then lose more money by locking it down to only your tiny portion of the market... Ya... great business decision...No, it is more advanced but not 'far more advanced'... It just doesn't use as few triggering words... Instead it uses an external database (which means you have to have an active data connection... A minus...) for the real processing power systems to try to make sence of your gibberish. And again, that is only right now... Today... The competition isn't just going to watch it roll on by, that's not how it works... (not with any successful companies anyhow)... They will buckle-down and develop matching or besting features of their own... And the competition, it available on all platforms... That's the biggest plus there is. So I can put it in my Android, my iPod, my berry and win devices, etc... Have the same tool everywhere. Not something close, but slightly different where you have to do something differently here or there...Here, you flat out lost me entirely... I never said anything about a 'phone' catching up... I was referring to the competition... Like Vlingo and other options out there... Right now SIRI is the most feature-packed of the bunch... Only right now, today... Thinking SIRI is always going to be the best is just... well, totally ignorant... It would be like saying AMD CPUs are the best when you were only looking at the days of the new 64 lineup way back when... At the time, yup. They were... Didn't last long but... The competition came back...But that is what we WANT in the market... COMPETITION... Without it you have monopolies which are the worst of everything ever for the consumers... Will SIRI always be the best... I don't have a crystal ball... But to think so outright is just... well the nicest word I can think of is ignorant... Vlingo could surpass it, or something else entirely could come to market and blow them both out of the water... Could be next week, next month, next year... Tomorrow... All I can say is, and anyone with half a brain knows this very well, companies will try... Especially those focused in that area... And then Apple will probably just start he barrage of frivolous litigation...[/citation]

An unusually long rant of drivel for an Android fan.

To summarise your first.. 90? lines.

'There's been many studies that even hands-free, driving on the phone is no safer then driving intoxicated'

Please see comment of mine where I stated this was the case. Bottom line Siri isn't just used whilst driving.

Next... you say

'How in the heck is that a good strategic decision?!? Buy a nice product and limit it to only your stuff, which is a whopping 28% of the marketshare... Where there are other competing products available to the other 72% as well as your 28%... So spend WAY TOO MUCH money on the company initially (they'll never make that investment back, they even said so in the reviews just after the purchase...) and then lose more money by locking it down to only your tiny portion of the market... Ya... great business decision'

I can't believe how ridiculously thick you must be to not see that Apple have already made more additional profit than they invested in Siri as a result of being able to offer it on the iPhone 4. I would estimate at least 1 million extra sales of iPhone 4S will happen as a result of this, not to mention the future products they can offer it which will be a continual advantage over their competitors. Not only that, it means they guarantee their new customers can use Siri, something which Google failed to do. In other words, it has already made them a profit, weakens their opposition, and will continue to do so going forward. So yes, 'great business decision'. Amazed you don't get that, really.

Next, you say:
'Here, you flat out lost me entirely... I never said anything about a 'phone' catching up... I was referring to the competition... Like Vlingo and other options out there... Right now SIRI is the most feature-packed of the bunch... Only right now, today... Thinking SIRI is always going to be the best is just... well, totally ignorant...'

I think if previously I thought it wasn't possible to be more stupid than the previous comment of yours I quoted, I stand corrected with this one.

The whole point was that you were saying in your original post that VLingo etc were 'equivalents' etc or at least that's the impression I got, yet you then went on to say that they will 'catch up' - therefore making your whole point about their being competition redundant. As you explain yourself in your own quote where you don't get my point, the fact that they have to 'catch up' shows they are behind right now - ie, not as good, so not equivalents, not the same product. The bottom line is that Android has no Siri equivalent, and that's a huge selling point for Apple.

They have a lot of catching up to do, and once again, it's Apple in the lead.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]As for SIRI, Android has Vlingo... I've used both and see very little differences other than SIRI has caused me more problems with it trying to 'guess' what I want it really to do. Some people say SIRI has Vlingo beat and I do not understand this argument...

.......the competition like Vlingo, who will most likely catch up and/or surpass in due time[/citation]

I wonder if you can play a little game of spot the logical failure.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]That is about the worst argument I've heard yet... Apple didn't implement it on their device... The initial SIRI developer's did... Apple bought it before it could be implemented further to the world.The Ignorance is that iPeople think there is nothing else in comparison... It's life changing... bla bla bla... It's another voice control system. A very nice one, the nicest one out today... but it's nothing over extrordinary... And Apple had ZERO to do with it other then to buy it once SIRI had done all the work... Praise them?!? For buying out a truly innovative company and blocking the rest of the planned development? HA! Not in this lifetime...They did not implement it on their devices... The only think Apple did was to buy it out. iOS was the initial implementation platform from the original developers... Nothing to do with Apple what-so-ever... Apple bought it to lock it down... To prevent the developers from doing what they initially planned (full development for all, similar to Vlingo)... That's all they did...[/citation]

I think that anyone with a brain would contend that having exclusivity over the 'nicest one out today' is in fact very important. In fact, I've seen many people buying the iPhone 4s purely for this purpose - because they can't get it elsewhere.

When I buy a phone, I don't care if the technology came from innovation, or by acquiring companies - the bottom line it has it, and no Android phones do.

And yes, they made a fantastic investment on it with the added benefit of preventing their competitors being able to use it. An extremely shrewd move, which already seems to have paid off.

G

Well, we could make it so that you think to the phone rather than talking to it but that would freak people out.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]I can't believe how ridiculously thick you must be to not see that Apple have already made more additional profit than they invested in Siri as a result of being able to offer it on the iPhone 4. I would estimate at least 1 million extra sales of iPhone 4S will happen as a result of this, not to mention the future products they can offer it which will be a continual advantage over their competitors.[/citation]

I'm not even going to go over the rest of your posts... It's obvious you don't have a clue how marketing and product development works... Yes, they now have it locked in for future devices... But, since they dumped the SIRI team, they have to do the development themselves... Not something they are great at. Again, just another huge opportunity for the other equivalent options out there... But you think this is a good business decision? Let's put it into numbers...

Apple makes on average $6 of the last report I saw on each device sold... They sold roughly 4M devices last report. So that's a whopping 24 million dollars... You want to say that 1M of those were just cause of SIRI, fine... $6M... That leaves them still 194 million dollars in the hole... Man, I don't know about you but as a stock holder, that trills the heck out of me...

Already paid off? Not even REMOTELY close... Apple themselves even said it wouldn't... Which is why the whole purchase itself still confuses me. Plus, at least now, they aren't even offering it on their older phones... Again, another missed money, or at least public face opportunity...

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]I think that anyone with a brain would contend that having exclusivity over the 'nicest one out today' is in fact very important. In fact, I've seen many people buying the iPhone 4s purely for this purpose - because they can't get it elsewhere.[/quote]

Wow, that's a horribly narrow-minded view... Good luck with that...

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]I wonder if you can play a little game of spot the logical failure./citation]

Have a reading problem? Let me little-word this for ya... 'I' do not see the huge benefit... I have both, use/used both... While SIRI is more feature-packet, per-say... It also has a tendancy to be problematic with stuff I was trying to have it perform... It's a new tech. These growing pains are going to happen. That aside, to sit there and assume their competition isn't going to get better and/or surpass them is just immensely asinine... To not even want them to try is just mind-blowingly stupid for all consumers cross the board... It would be like stopping car development after the first Fords came off the line. Well, it's mind-blowingly better then the horse and buggy so why go on... They were the best thing of their moment.

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]I think if previously I thought it wasn't possible to be more stupid than the previous comment of yours I quoted, I stand corrected with this one.[/citation]
So you honestly think nothing will ever be better then SIRI... Wow... I didn't think that level of ignorance was possible... Again, good luck with that...

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]The whole point was that you were saying in your original post that VLingo etc were 'equivalents' etc or at least that's the impression I got, yet you then went on to say that they will 'catch up' - therefore making your whole point about their being competition redundant. As you explain yourself in your own quote where you don't get my point, the fact that they have to 'catch up' shows they are behind right now - ie, not as good, so not equivalents, not the same product. The bottom line is that Android has no Siri equivalent, and that's a huge selling point for Apple.[/citation]

You obviously don't understand the words you are using... Vlingo and other options ARE an equivalent option to SIRI. Are they as fully feature-packed and cutting edge, not right this second no. But to say they aren't equivelent is just flat out dumb... The second definition of equivalent is: "corresponding in position, function, etc.". Can you honestly sit there and even think other options out there aren't corresponding in function? Seriously?!? Here's a hint for ya; If we were talking about cars... Just 'vehicles'... A 'Yugo' is, in effect, as use for transportation, equivalent to a 'Ferrari'... Both are methods of transportation. Both will get you from point A to point B just fine... The Ferrari just is a heck of a lot nicer way to get there... Now if you go to a racetrack, no, the Yugo is not even remotely equivalent. But that's a sub-set of their functions, not their full function. Infact, if you compared them in almost ANY Way, the Yugo will lose...

Both SIRI and Vlingo are voice control packages. Both work very well for the most part and get the job done... SIRI right now just does it, as it is, nicer. But they ARE competing products. And right now Vlingo has the market edge as a slam dunk which is SIRI's biggest competitive problem.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]I'm not even going to go over the rest of your posts... It's obvious you don't have a clue how marketing and product development works... Yes, they now have it locked in for future devices... But, since they dumped the SIRI team, they have to do the development themselves... Not something they are great at.....[/citation]

Quote:

'Apple makes on average $6 of the last report I saw on each device sold... They sold roughly 4M devices last report. So that's a whopping 24 million dollars...'

They charge 649$ per phone. Estimated costs are 235$ on average per phone. Thats 414$ profit, not $6. Factor in app purchases (one of the most profitable elements), iCloud, accessories, and brand loyalty, and they've probably already cashed in more than the purchase cost.

You were close, though.

http://technorati.com/technology/article/iphone-4s-bill-of-materials-add/
http://www.macgasm.net/2011/10/11/apple-iphone-4s-preorders-reach-200-million-dollars/

(both articles proving that Apple have indeed already recouped their investment - are you in denial)?

Quote:

'While SIRI is more feature-packet, per-say...'

Nothing to this effect was in your original comment. Which is why describing other competitors as having to 'catch up' was logically incorrect. Now, you've agreed with my point all along that it has more features, so it's better. We're agreed.

Quote:

'So you honestly think nothing will ever be better then SIRI... Wow... I didn't think that level of ignorance was possible...'

I have never said anything which means this. Simple as.

Quote:

' Vlingo and other options ARE an equivalent option to SIRI. Are they as fully feature-packed and cutting edge, not right this second no. But to say they aren't equivelent is just flat out dumb... The second definition of equivalent is: "corresponding in position, function, etc.". '

LOL. You decided to own your own point in your own sentence. If Siri is not as 'feature-packed' - it is missing a particular FUNCTION of Siri - making it not an equivalent. If you want to describe a quad bike as equivalent to a Ferrari, then your (very wrong) interpretation of equivalent means nothing. People will still go for the 'equivalent' car which is far far superior with a lot more functionality.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Weird... It didn't load last night... Let's try again...

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]They charge 649$ per phone. Estimated costs are 235$ on average per phone. Thats 414$ profit, not $6. Factor in app purchases (one of the most profitable elements), iCloud, accessories, and brand loyalty, and they've probably already cashed in more than the purchase cost.[/citation]

So few are actually sold at 'retail' prices... The bulk are sold at the package rates. Which for the 4S from AT&T is available for $199. (Seriously, who in their right mind would pay 650 for a freakin cellphone. (full-blown computers, tablets, etc cost half that... Maybe that's just the 'Apple' thing to do...)

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Nothing to this effect was in your original comment. Which is why describing other competitors as having to 'catch up' was logically incorrect. Now, you've agreed with my point all along that it has more features, so it's better. We're agreed.[/citation]

Sorry you seem to have a reading problem but I've said something to that effect every time... You just choose to not read it or overlook it... Can't help you with your comprehension...

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]
' Vlingo and other options ARE an equivalent option to SIRI. Are they as fully feature-packed and cutting edge, not right this second no. But to say they aren't equivelent is just flat out dumb... The second definition of equivalent is: "corresponding in position, function, etc.". '

LOL. You decided to own your own point in your own sentence. If Siri is not as 'feature-packed' - it is missing a particular FUNCTION of Siri - making it not an equivalent. If you want to describe a quad bike as equivalent to a Ferrari, then your (very wrong) interpretation of equivalent means nothing. People will still go for the 'equivalent' car which is far far superior with a lot more functionality.[/citation]

Hey pal... I gave you the Dictionary's own definition of the word... If you don't like it, take it up with them. If you want ONLY the similarity type definition... take it up with them. But Vlingo and SIRI are "Corresponding in function" which means, by definition, they are equivalent... OR, they would have used the words 'AND virtually identical' instead of 'OR'. (I'm assuming here that you do, infact, know the difference between and AND and an OR...) If you still don't agree, heh, I can't help ya there pal... But the rest of the english speaking/reading world uses this definition... It could always be changed... But right now, it's not.

And I never said anything about a quad... Don't know where you're coming from with that one... Not even the same type of vehicle. But for the definition of 'a car' in modern knowledge (so you don't try to be a moron and try to use a cable-car or something just to be an idiot... you know darn well what I mean with 'a car'), my comparison stands. But by the definition of the word; it is valid...

And before you try to say a word has to match every definition... Heh... Not even close... Nice try though... Take the word 'fast' for example; We all know what that means. The first handful of definitions also match that meaning. Quick, rapid, etc. What we all think of when we say the word. But go ahead, look at the Dictionary's own definitions. There are many for this particular word. And they include "resistant: acid-fast. firmly fixed in place; not easily moved; securely attached. held or caught firmly, so as to be unable to escape or be extricated: an animal fast in a trap. firmly tied, as a knot. closed and made secure, as a door, gate, or shutter. such as to hold securely: to lay fast hold on a thing.". And the list goes on...

And it seems Iris is already to the party. Yet another option. And coded in 8 hours. It's on the market right now... And I was surprised that it actually works. The few things I tried anyhow... It just makes me laugh... So now it seems there are a few 'equivalent' players in the game. But only one of them is available on every platform right now.

But hey, we're all glad your loaded and can afford to buy every single upgrade to everything out there. Got to have the very best of everything every minute. And I thought I made a good living. I'm humbled... But I'm also done with you... good day... Enjoy your... whatever... You keep seeming to think I hate Apple. I think they're a bit out of their minds lately, but I wouldn't own stock in a company I hate. So keep thinking whatever you like. It's obvious in this day and age that no one cares anyhow no matter who or what... Only what you can do for 'them'. So, sorry for you but I'm not listening anymore... I'm bored with this topic. You're just trying to argue for the sake of arguing at this point. You're trying to argue against a dictionary for goodness-sake. By your wishful definition, nothing in the world is equivalent with anything else cause one is always better in some form then something else. So the word would be almost completely useless...

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom] The bulk are sold at the package rates. Which for the 4S from AT&T is available for $199. (Seriously, who in their right mind would pay 650 for a freakin cellphone..[/citation]

Every customer pays full price. When they pay $199 they also pay a contract for substantially more.

[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]Hey pal... I gave you the Dictionary's own definition of the word... If you don't like it, take it up with them. If you want ONLY the similarity type definition... take it up with them. But Vlingo and SIRI are "Corresponding in function" which means, by definition, they are equivalent...[/citation]

The whole point is that you yourself admit they aren't corresponding in function. If they were, Siri wouldn't be better. And if you claim that things can be 'corresponding in function' despite not offering all the features and being worse, then your comment means nothing anyway, because it is entirely consistent with Siri being far superior.

Amazed that you don't understand the quad comparison - like a car, it offers the facility to move around on 4 wheels. I'm glad you realise that despite that being the same function, they are not equivalent, proving my point.

[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]And it seems Iris is already to the party. Yet another option. And coded in 8 hours. It's on the market right now... And I was surprised that it actually works. The few things I tried anyhow... It just makes me laugh... So now it seems there are a few 'equivalent' players in the game. [/citation]

It took over a year, and is absolutely awful in comparison, so I've heard. And even if it was BETTER than Siri, Siri has already paid off for Apple. As always, Android trying so hard just to keep up. 'Equivalent' (according to you) - but much worse. (And according to you that isn't a contradiction... ROFL)

[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]You're trying to argue against a dictionary for goodness-sake. By your wishful definition, nothing in the world is equivalent with anything else cause one is always better in some form then something else. So the word would be almost completely useless..[/citation]

Actually, you are the one who pasted dictionary definitions. I, on the other hand, took the oh so much more intelligent approach of saying that IF we take YOUR definition, you make your own comment irrelevant. If you use equivalent to effectively mean 'similar in some ways' - then it says nothing about which is better, so it's meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.