Angry Birds Saved Rovio from Bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
I personally don't really think the game is that great...I've played flash games that have kept me more amused. I suppose its a matter of opinion though.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation]realized they had something special after Niklas' mother burned a Christmas turkey because she was distracted by playing the game.

"She doesn't play any games," he admitted. "I realized: this is it." [/citation]
I can only imagine how he must have felt, with frustrations from company close to bankruptcy, doing what they do with passion and still not managing to get through.

Even though I don't play Angry Birds in any flavour, I wish them best of luck and future successes.

G

It's an overrated game. People are just buying it now because of the publicity.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
My mum never played a game on her phone in her life until i downloaded Angry Birds on her X10 for her to play. She then proceeded to play 3 hours of her life away. I personally really like the game. It's actually nothing special, but it's darn addictive and generally really inviting to play.

Some may say it's overrated blah blah blah, but you can't argue with $70 million made and the fact it's the most famous and talked about mobile game there is.

dirgle

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]It's an overrated game. People are just buying it now because of the publicity.[/citation]

Yeah, I want to belittle something because it's successful too. It seems to be the cool thing to do these days.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]ChrisCornell[/nom]Besides Angry Birds is a total ripoff of "Crush The Castle". I'm actually surprised that they haven't been sued[/citation]

You hit the nail on the head. The first time I played Angry Birds I asked myself who modded "Crush the Castle" with newer sound effects and farm animals.

Now that Crush the Castle devs have seen the money that has been made off Angry Birds, I see a lawsuit coming shortly.

bpislife

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Now that Crush the Castle devs have seen the money that has been made off Angry Birds, I see a lawsuit coming shortly.

Mario is similar to Sonic. Rayman is similar to Croc which is similar to crash bandicoot, etc. Same genre, same type of game with a similar outcome, but they aren't the same.

bobdole

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
You realize you can't patent a type of video game right? lol
If you could...over 99.99% of all games made would have a lawsuit lol

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Crush the Castle & Angry Birds just sounds oddly familiar to the whole Twisted Pixel & Capcom incident: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/12/twisted-pixel-chooses-not-to-sue-capcom-over-ios-ripoff/

You're right you can't patent a video game (to my knowledge, IANAL), but I would imagine with copyright, a lawsuit would be feasible based upon "ideas" within the scope of the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.