Angry Customers Flood Netflix's Twitter, Facebook

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]It's called a Redbox, people. I have at least three of the things within a 5 minute walk of my house and all within a couple hundred feet of each other. I'm sure you've got to have at least 1 you can use. You'll just have to suffer if you're in the mood for an oldie.[/citation]

closest one to me is a 45 minute drive. [citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]you must be on some good drugs to think something like this[/citation]

cable, 100$+ where i live, most movies and tv are censored unless i will pay 15$ more a month for the hbo like channels. and considering that i only watch tv for 5 hours a week at most (new shows, barely rewatch old ones) aside from when new shows come out, so i can see if they are worth watching, netflix, even at 20$ (assuming the cost of a 2 dvd and streaming plan) usually has everything i want to watch, instantly, and if it doesn't, it comes to me on a dvd.

id say netflix is a far better option than cable. [citation][nom]PotShotScott[/nom]Content providers want to be paid. Netflix wants to offer premium content their going to have to pay the providers. Think too about the growth in servers needed to stream all the netflix content that they do deliver now and the growth rate in streaming video. Companies are in business to make a profit and when costs eat into profit the consumer pays the difference. It's how business works! All this bitching is a clear indication that we're living in an entitlement society where people feel like they are worth top dollar but the services they buy should be super cheap - and when they're not they treat the business like its full of greedy corporate bastards. NOTHING IN LIFE IS FREE. The sooner people realize that the better. Let the market decide the price. The people voting with their wallets will make more of an impact than any amount of whining could.[/citation]

lets say you are apple, you make the iphone, it costs 200$ to make, you sell it for 600$
the price of a component just went up to 250$
what do you do? hike the cost of the iphone to 650-700$ or do you eat that 50$ because you are still making 350$ in profit per phone sold.

we PAY them now so they can improve their service. new servers and all that is FACTORED INTO CURRENT PLAN. until we see numbers, as in they are going into the red because of all this crap, than the total NET PROFIT that they make as a business is suppose to be used to improve that business

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
If they would have simply raised their $9.99/month plan to $10.99/month, and their $7.99/month plan to $8.99/month, not that many people would have cared, and they would have made a lot more money.

People still would have gotten angry, but with the always increasing rates of postage, people would eventually understand.

bd26

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]itchyisvegeta[/nom]If they would have simply raised their $9.99/month plan to $10.99/month, and their $7.99/month plan to $8.99/month, not that many people would have cared, and they would have made a lot more money.People still would have gotten angry, but with the always increasing rates of postage, people would eventually understand.[/citation]

Heck, I'd even take a combo deal and let them charge me 2-3 bucks extra. It would be nice if they would have atleast given us an option.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Netflix is probably the sole reason Blockbuster went out of Business. Great on them, they provided a service that was much cheaper than the competition.
However, doesn't it seem odd to you, that their increasing the price when they've lost not only competition, but content aswell? Sony Pictures has already pulled the plug on Netflix and many other Studios plan to do the same after their contracts expire.

You all have to realize something, its a business and raising prices is one of the most common practises around. Just look at the mobile phone industry, they jack up prices and reduce the quality of services.

I don't think anyone should be complaining just yet, but by no means do I support Netflix's decision either, cause it appears that this is just the start.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
It really doesn't matter to me (or most customers) why they raised their price. A 60% rate hike is enough of a bump to remind me how little satisfaction I've gotten out of Netflix lately. I paid $2 extra per month for access to Blu Ray. The first movie was unplaybable, which is a bumber since it takes one week to get here and one to get back to Netflix. The new releases almost always have a waiting period. The streaming library is ok if you want to revisist some old TV show or movie, assuming image quality and frequent pausing due to congestion don't bother you. All in all, this incident just reminds me that I can find better ways of spending $16 a month.

jamus34

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
I wasn't happy when they added a 30 day wait period on new release DVD rentals and while I have found quite a bit streaming there is a lot out there that is not on there...and I'm not talking about just newer stuff either.

At $12 a month I had no problems with Netflix's shortcomings...at almost double that amount (to the point I can go to an Imax 3d movie once a month if chose) with NO benefit to the member (and it's a real slap in the face since they STILL haven't resolved the Sony streaming issue that pulled a ton of content but still wants it's members to pay more) I'll either drop to streaming only or quit entirely.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
When I first subscribed to Netflix in 2006, their Streaming Library was a joke. Now they have like 20+ times the content and a ton of top notch movies. I was on the other day, they had Iron Man 2 and Battle: Los Angeles already. So for all this great content I have to pay another couple dollars, I'm not gonna cry about it.

G

No one has mentioned yet that in roughly 3 years Netflix's stock has gone from $13 a share to over $300 a share. This price hike is greed, pure and simple.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
This article is very wrong... the only reason they DID raise the price is because movie studios (MPAA empire) told them to pay more if they wanted their content contract renewed... Netflix had no say in this.
What a baseless reporting B.S. Learn to find sources.
But of course it is more fun to spread rumors and get everyone to pitchfork netflix.

Like the "correctly" written article says, movie studios were losing money since netflix dominated-away almost half the market with their cheaper than cable/store movie rentals... I mean who would want to pay $5-20 for a RENTAL of a movie on cable or store? Seriously WTF...GREEDY ASS MOVIE STUDIOUS I HOPE YOU ALL BURN IN HELL.
And no I do not have netflix just trying to show the real reason.
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Netflix-Imposes-Significant-New-Price-Increase-115120
MAJOR FAIl TOM'S.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
As others have said, it's how they did it that's the problem. Tell us 'Hollywood is trying to screw us, so we need some help.' Don't tell us 'Yay for more plans.' Adding the DVD only plan - good. Not having any discount for combining plans - idiotic. Assuming we're all stupid - come on.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Plus for all that other stuff like 30-day waiting period and cancelation of bundles and streaming packages... That was put-in and taken away by the movie companies as part of contract as well. So look in the real reason before bitching at just netflix.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
wise man once said: stay off netflix or you will get swift kick in the groin. i sympathize with those that just got it. that's their way of saying thanks to the loyal customers.

bstm300

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Lol, looks like it's back to watching star-trek on youtube. I don't care what people say about who is the culprit on here. Anyway you look at it, the pricing increase for dvd + streaming will be too expensive for a lot of people to handle. I plan on voting with my wallet come Sept 1rst. Good bye Netflix.

pastydavid

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I always paid around $15 for 2 dvds and streaming so the extra cost doesn't really seem so big to me. I can sympathize with those who are losing the service at a low-end cost. Netflix has pissed me off in the past with their business practices and because of it, I have not been a subscriber for the past year and half. What they did that really made me angry was take too damn long to send me new releases. 1.) Some deal was agreed with certain studios that would push the Netflix release of their movie back an extra month. 2.) I would have a new release at the top of my queue well before it was released and I would still wait 1.5-2 months before I could actually get it sent to me. I'm glad to be done with the frustration caused by what I would call poor customer care. This should give the competion a chance to gain some ground. I'm always in favor of companies competing for my business.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I guess I can understand why people are annoyed since prices increased with no added service, but who really wants to have DVDs shipped to their house AND streaming video? If you're streaming, why would you need DVDs too? I think people are just making a big deal about nothing.

G

I'm in Canada (mentioned because it might help answering my question). I signed up for the Netflix monthly trial about 5 months ago. I didn't renew. The simply reason, the selection. What baffles me is that I could search for almost anything and I'd always get a hit, but when it came time to selecting those hits, I OFTEN got "Not available". Why do they give me such an extended list only to tell me it's not available like 98% of the time. Is it because I'm not in the US of A? Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Paid Amazon Prime streaming is looking pretty good right now. If you're a student you can get it 1/2 off. so it goes from $79/year to $39/year. and the free 2 day shipping for prime members is really nice if you shop at amazon!

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you do know that block buster is still around and they do streaming, dvd, blur-ray, and games for 11.99/month i think. That's a good deal seeing how you can rent games also.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Is this just in the US? What will happen to Canadian's who were already suffering from low caps from their ISP's, a problem in fact that netflix was trying to help them out on. Now they want to charge more? This does not make any sense. If netflix is going to fight ISP's on their low cap policies and are doing that in the interests of their customer then why then do they take a turn around and charge more for the service. The whole point was to keep netflix consumers not screw them over.

Status
Not open for further replies.