Annoying framedrops in game every 3-5 minutes - Asus g74sx

Asus74

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
I bought my Asus G74sx two months ago and i'm already experiencing trouble whenever i want to play games that are more demanding. Games like DOTA 2, Grand theft auto 4, Dead rising 2 and also Tera all give me the same very annoying issue which is a random heavy drop in fps. Usually my games are running VERY smooth at 60 FPS, and then all of a sudden it goes down to 15-20 for 3 seconds ish, then everything goes into a fast forward kind of mode until everything is catched up again, and then its back to smooth steady gameplay for another 3 - 5 minutes depending on the game.

I cant see the connection with the FPS drops, i mean, the fact that i get almost MORE of these random FPS drops in DOTA 2 in comparison to TERA doesnt make any sense to me. One thing is always the same though, everytime i see the framerate drop and tab out, i see the graph of my GPU in afterburner going from 100% usage down to a spikey looking slope where it only uses about 30 - 40% of the GPU, and when the game goes back to smooth, the GPU is back up to 100% steady usage.

Sad to say, I believe i must have installed some wrong driver or program that causes this, but since im not very good at the technical parts, i have no idea what it is causing it. I've tried to shut down any other programs that are running in the background when i play but the FPS drop is still there.

Oh and one last thing, when i play BF3 on Ultra (with shadows set down abit and MSAA lowered) I never experience the FPS drop, playing constantly at around 40 - 45 fps steady. Weird huh.

Specs: i7 2670QM
Nvidia GTX 560M 3GB
8GB Ram

I'm glad to provide any further information, i just hope you guys can help me out here. Thank you in advance for your time :)