Annoying issue on start up with MSI laptop

Sep 5, 2018
My MSI laptop, (MS GL73 8RC-042CA) has an annoying startup issue. Start up works as it should, but the number 4 key is stuck perpetually., so I can't do anything. Every search box types 4 repeatedly. I can't even shut it down, as the normal shut down process of hitting the windows icon and selecting 'shut down' doesn't work. If I do a hard reset .... (i.e., hold down the power button till it turns off - i know, bad thing to do but it's the only way to turn it off at that point) it comes on just fine. No issues whatsoever. Not sure what to do to get around this, as at this point, I'm going to permanently damage my drive with my hard reset, am I not?

I've blown out the keyboard and nothing seems to be stuck under there. AND it's only 2 months old :(

Solution
It's very likely something is making it stick. The other causes I know of are pretty extreme and unlikely.
If you can get into windows, go to settings-ease of access-keyboard and look for something like "disable repeated key strokes" (I'm not at my pc right now and can't remember exactly what it says). It's not going to be a permanent fix. But should help out until you can figure it out.

tejayd

Proper
Mar 11, 2018
It's very likely something is making it stick. The other causes I know of are pretty extreme and unlikely.
If you can get into windows, go to settings-ease of access-keyboard and look for something like "disable repeated key strokes" (I'm not at my pc right now and can't remember exactly what it says). It's not going to be a permanent fix. But should help out until you can figure it out.

Solution