Anonymous Now Offering 'Secure' Alternative to Pastebin

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Trust these children? Thanks for the laugh....I needed it today.[/citation]

Funny how people mock them, yet they still have more power than those who mock them.
They aren't out there to wreak havoc, they have a cause unlike Lulsec etc..

People really misunderstand what Anonymous is about, well the official Anonymous anyway, and not those fake Anonymous groups claiming to take down the internet or Facebook etc..

You just need to do your research before you can judge Anonymous.
I know I'm probably going to get thumbed down a ton, but some people just don't understand, they read the papers, watch the news, see others posting negative things about them when really they are reporting on copycat groups.

Anon itself isn't exactly bad, they don't abuse their power for fun.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Funny how people mock them, yet they still have more power than those who mock them.They aren't out there to wreak havoc, they have a cause unlike Lulsec etc..People really misunderstand what Anonymous is about, well the official Anonymous anyway, and not those fake Anonymous groups claiming to take down the internet or Facebook etc..You just need to do your research before you can judge Anonymous.I know I'm probably going to get thumbed down a ton, but some people just don't understand, they read the papers, watch the news, see others posting negative things about them when really they are reporting on copycat groups.Anon itself isn't exactly bad, they don't abuse their power for fun.[/citation]

If their "cause" is to push the governments of the world to constrict our internet freedom and violate our privacy in an attempt to catch these "hacktivists", then I'll go ahead and call it a success.

It's astounding to see how many blindly follow Anon without considering the collateral damage they cause. The businesses they hit may have a little PR party afterwards, but any damages they accumulate throughout the attack will simply be passed down to the consumers... us. The governments they attack will use Anon's actions as an example as to why restrictions should be placed and anonymity barred.

If you think something good will come of this, you're naive. Enjoy the spectacle and enjoy your freedoms while they last.

rex86

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Excellent idea. pastebin sucks. But how are they going to pay for the servers if they don't use commercials?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]If their "cause" is to push the governments of the world to constrict our internet freedom and violate our privacy in an attempt to catch these "hacktivists", then I'll go ahead and call it a success.It's astounding to see how many blindly follow Anon without considering the collateral damage they cause. The businesses they hit may have a little PR party afterwards, but any damages they accumulate throughout the attack will simply be passed down to the consumers... us. The governments they attack will use Anon's actions as an example as to why restrictions should be placed and anonymity barred.If you think something good will come of this, you're naive. Enjoy the spectacle and enjoy your freedoms while they last.[/citation]
The restricting of the Internet has nothing to do with Anon or any hacker group. It has to do with lobby groups like the MPAA, RIAA,...

Also in your view any kind of manifestation should be illegal, independently if it's done on the web or on the streets.

kentuckyfriedflow

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]If their "cause" is to push the governments of the world to constrict our internet freedom and violate our privacy in an attempt to catch these "hacktivists", then I'll go ahead and call it a success.It's astounding to see how many blindly follow Anon without considering the collateral damage they cause. The businesses they hit may have a little PR party afterwards, but any damages they accumulate throughout the attack will simply be passed down to the consumers... us. The governments they attack will use Anon's actions as an example as to why restrictions should be placed and anonymity barred.If you think something good will come of this, you're naive. Enjoy the spectacle and enjoy your freedoms while they last.[/citation]

You obviously don't know what activism is primarily all about: raising awareness to the issues at hand. You can't measure the success of activism via immediate results. It's also very naive to believe that Anonymous is responsible for any legislation or business decisions that restrict/infringe on human rights.

What, the past 2-3 decades haven't been a large enough sample of how much momentum the rich white men of America have gained in terms of power and wealth? Does protesting in Zucatti Park somehow rile up those in power to pass legislation that allows more access to citizen's private data on the web? Nope, that type of spying has been standard practice for atleast a decade. You could ask any of the thousands of independent journalists who have suffered the most from all this Chinese-esque govt. behavior.

Those who make statements like "Anonymous does more harm than good" are simply defending their own cowardice and feelings of hopelessness brought on by this govt.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
>>Not only will Anonymous not police the service, but it supposedly doesn't have the power to delete posts and associated files.

Challenge accepted.

Paste ALL the internet!!!

holyromanempire

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

I'm not even the biggest Anonymous fan, but that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Support them or not, you can't honestly blame Anonymous for a few stooges in the government trying to restrict the Internet, especially when those initiatives are more or less a direct result of lobbying from organizations who have no concern for the public interest. Democracy shits the bed right in front of you, and you shoot the messenger. And you wonder how the government gets so screwed up.

And also: if corporations and governments worldwide are going to continue to embarrass themselves by putting a bunch of clowns in charge of their security systems after countless warnings, that's their own problem. It's not like they're picking on people who can't defend themselves. And when it comes down to it, I'd much rather have this issue enter the public eye through a group of idealists launching attacks to make a statement than a group of thieves or terrorists doing the same thing to actually hurt people. So keep talking about freedom, you should really be thanking them for exposing the ineptitude of the people we trust to protect us before someone actually did some real damage.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
rather shady claims as to what they are willing to censor, and when they are willing to give up IP addresses to the authorities,
Yeah, very shady to cooperate with the authorities to catch people openly participating in criminal activities with the help of your network.

Also, I see we have quite a few Anonymous supporters here. Oh, to be so naive to think that defacing webpages is activism. That posting personal information of innocent police officers accomplishes something good. That they're anything other than a bunch of brats with delusions of grandeur and just enough skill to follow simple instructions to use tools other, more talented people wrote.

I get it, you're angry. But this kind of shit is counterproductive. Ignoring everything else, it's giving ammunition to the "censor the internet" crowd. It's certainly not the driving force, but it is helping the fear mongers trick the populace into thinking we need garbage like SOPA, PIPA, CISPA and ACTA.

Counterproductive at best.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"Anonymous launching a totally secure and safe alternative to PasteBin"

Yeah, that's like hiring a known pedophile as a nanny for your 2 year old !

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Look this has nothing to do with anon (other then them making the service available). It'll be as secure as anything else online (if you post it expect it to be open to view for everyone). Anon at the very least might not give away people ip's and other info to help track them down. Which if they actually stand by that I think this is a very good thing.

Sure bad stuff will happen on it. But plenty of good stuff has the potential to come out also.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Funny how people mock them, yet they still have more power than those who mock them.They aren't out there to wreak havoc, they have a cause unlike Lulsec etc..People really misunderstand what Anonymous is about, well the official Anonymous anyway, and not those fake Anonymous groups claiming to take down the internet or Facebook etc..You just need to do your research before you can judge Anonymous.I know I'm probably going to get thumbed down a ton, but some people just don't understand, they read the papers, watch the news, see others posting negative things about them when really they are reporting on copycat groups.Anon itself isn't exactly bad, they don't abuse their power for fun.[/citation]
Anonymous is a pretty fair and interesting group. It's those a part of the false anonymous that ruin the image. When the false anon claim a bogus statement that does more harm than good people who have little knowledge of anonymous will lose their trust. This is bad for anonymous because some companies will pick up on that and continue the beating by bashing any anonymous group by calling them "terrorists". Then the mindless public will believe it.

tomc5

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Why would anyone trust these people? They are known for stealing information and holding it ransom for the highest bidder. Why would they not do the same with this?

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
I mock them, and I understand them. I also like how some of their "members" get stupid people to run LOIC to DDOS sites and innocents get caught. You can't say Anonymous and Lulzsec aren't handin-hand, no matter what they say publically.

And their claim about not having the ability to delete the data is FUD, too...because, you know, all you need to do is SELECT the record and then delete it using whatever database tool works with their database.

But hey, keep being a fanboi. Perhaps you'll change when your private info gets out in the wild.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
While its great that they are taking a proactive stance in this situation, I don't see how they are going to be able to actually follow through here. If they don't track who has been uploading content then what is to stop someone from simply uploading terabytes of data? This could quickly become a new Megaupload with absolutely no tracking / oversight. Of course with no advertising revenue they will fold just as quickly.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Just their reputation alone makes this a no go but, if they were to set up something like this and keep their hands off it like they claim. Then this could be a new form of activism for them and a legitimate one at that. Right now they are just a bunch of malcontents until they prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.