Anonymous Retaliates for LulzSec Arrests, Hacks Panda

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]captjack5169[/nom]The truth in hacking is if you don't want to be caught cover your tracks and don't tell anyone what you did, much like special forces units.[/citation]
I love the special forces imagery here, hilarious.

LulzSec certainly don't measure up against that simile, since it took the FBI apparently just a few weeks to track down the leader and turn him. LulzSec and Anonymous, with probably a few exceptions, are nothing but untalented script kiddies. Any moron can load up automated tools to scan websites for vulnerabilities. A half retarded rhesus monkey could participate in a DDoS attack.

The real hackers don't brag to the world about their hacks. They don't maintain Twitter accounts to update people on their progress. They don't act like they're 1337 h4x0rz for defacing webpages, and they certainly don't claim they hacked the CIA when they deface the CIA webpage. These things are all signs of immaturity, lack of comprehension for the consequences for what you're doing and massive ego. These are not good traits for a hacker.

Anonymous talks big about how they're a hydra, you can't stop them, blah blah blah. I guarantee you the ones who will be spending the next 10-20 years in prison aren't saying that any more. More are arrested all the time, and eventually kids are going to figure out that they aren't smarter than the FBI, and this shit will stop.

It's ego run wild, hiding behind presumed anonymity. When the reality of the situation sets in, you're going to see a lot fewer people volunteering to be the next one with an all expenses paid trip to federal prison.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I'm always amused by the amount of Anonymous sympathizers here. Doubly funny since you guys rated the guy down who brought up MLK in reference to nonviolent protest."Quick, this guy has a valid dissenting opinion! SHUT HIM UP IN THE NAME OF FREE SPEECH!"[/citation]

I dont sypathize. I understand, what it is they are trying to do. Its clearly not going to work the way they are doing it, as much as I would like it to. Going up against the US government is pointless they have bottomless pockets and unlimited resources to sit there for six months and find out how much toilet paper you are using if they want to. You want to play the game you gotta play it there way or GTFO.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I love the special forces imagery here, hilarious.LulzSec certainly don't measure up against that simile, since it took the FBI apparently just a few weeks to track down the leader and turn him. LulzSec and Anonymous, with probably a few exceptions, are nothing but untalented script kiddies. Any moron can load up automated tools to scan websites for vulnerabilities. A half retarded rhesus monkey could participate in a DDoS attack.The real hackers don't brag to the world about their hacks. They don't maintain Twitter accounts to update people on their progress. They don't act like they're 1337 h4x0rz for defacing webpages, and they certainly don't claim they hacked the CIA when they deface the CIA webpage. These things are all signs of immaturity, lack of comprehension for the consequences for what you're doing and massive ego. These are not good traits for a hacker.Anonymous talks big about how they're a hydra, you can't stop them, blah blah blah. I guarantee you the ones who will be spending the next 10-20 years in prison aren't saying that any more. More are arrested all the time, and eventually kids are going to figure out that they aren't smarter than the FBI, and this shit will stop.It's ego run wild, hiding behind presumed anonymity. When the reality of the situation sets in, you're going to see a lot fewer people volunteering to be the next one with an all expenses paid trip to federal prison.[/citation]

Im in complete agreement here. My SF analogy is pretty much the way you would think a guy hacking in to a DOD website would act, don't tell anyone and take ever precaution. Clearly this was not the case, as you stated, and as you can see in the mIRC logs. Its just for the fun of it. How much fun is 2 years in jail and fines in the six figure area.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]goodsyntax[/nom]And yet the various Occupy Wall Street Protests have been summarily stomped out by the NYPD and the UC Davis Police (see the pepper spraying incident). MLK and his supporters were beaten, harassed and many were murdered. The "hippy" protests of the vietnam war in the late 60s turned violent after four protesters were murdered and seven more were shot at Kent State University. Young Iranians protesting for democracy were murdered in mass just a couple of years ago. What was originally peaceful protests in Egypt erupted into violence as well.If you look back in history, peaceful protests often yields violence from the "establishment" and change, if any happens at all, is glacial. Active protests promotes rapid change, especially if it is supported by the mainstream.While I do not condone "doxing" innocents, I don't see anything wrong with fighting back, especially considering that the "victims" are HTML files, unsecured databases, unencrypted text files and passwords. If nothing else, even if change does not happen, the benefit is that more attention is paid to cyber-security, which to this point is laughably inadequate in most systems.[/citation]

I disagree. When the protesters get violent, they lose support for their cause. Look at how divided the nation was during the Vietnam War - those hippies couldn't get the support they needed to end it quickly. Compare that to MLK's Civil Rights movement. Yeah, he was assassinated, but his method brought real change because the media portrayed peaceful protesters getting hammered by law enforcement.

Let's look at the Egyptian protests. What happened there? Massive demonstrations resulted in the abdication of their leader and the support of their military (which obviously played a role). Look at Occupy Wall Street. They sat in parks, refused to budge, and people started listening. However, when the protesters got violent, they started losing support and now most are much more willing to cast them aside. Look at the Tea Party movement in the US - massive peaceful protests will get you heard; even more so when you get supporters in office.

There are cases where violent protests are necessary, such is the case in Libya and Syria, due to the fact that the government starts off with violence in the first place. But in nations where the politicians still have to be VOTED in, a large peaceful demonstration is all it takes for your voice to be heard.

If you're demonstrating bank corruption, you don't go into a bank and tell them to empty the safe deposits of personal belongings of its customers. Likewise, you don't steal credit card information and release it into the wild. You harm people who could otherwise support you. Anon as a whole might be a group of protesters, but they are used by the very same personalities that they protest again.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Don't forget he was gunned down...I love my rights but I don't feel like taking a bullet to keep my internet uncensored.[/citation]

Where is your sense of adventure.

G

They replaced a webpage for a site almost no one goes to. Congrats. Now you get to dodge the FBI. Now why was that worth it?

What exactly do they think they are getting out of it? It does not seem like they are accomplishing anything productive for their goals and are getting sent to prison.

goodsyntax

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]supall[/nom]I disagree. When the protesters get violent, they lose support for their cause. Look at how divided the nation was during the Vietnam War - those hippies couldn't get the support they needed to end it quickly. Compare that to MLK's Civil Rights movement. Yeah, he was assassinated, but his method brought real change because the media portrayed peaceful protesters getting hammered by law enforcement.Let's look at the Egyptian protests. What happened there? Massive demonstrations resulted in the abdication of their leader and the support of their military (which obviously played a role). Look at Occupy Wall Street. They sat in parks, refused to budge, and people started listening. However, when the protesters got violent, they started losing support and now most are much more willing to cast them aside. Look at the Tea Party movement in the US - massive peaceful protests will get you heard; even more so when you get supporters in office.There are cases where violent protests are necessary, such is the case in Libya and Syria, due to the fact that the government starts off with violence in the first place. But in nations where the politicians still have to be VOTED in, a large peaceful demonstration is all it takes for your voice to be heard.If you're demonstrating bank corruption, you don't go into a bank and tell them to empty the safe deposits of personal belongings of its customers. Likewise, you don't steal credit card information and release it into the wild. You harm people who could otherwise support you. Anon as a whole might be a group of protesters, but they are used by the very same personalities that they protest again.[/citation]

You do have many good points. Unfortunately, in today's society, there is so much collusion between the media, politicians and "special interests" with a large bank-roll, that the only voices that are heard are those who bring political donations.

Surely, there cannot be many who condone what MPAA/RIAA are doing and the obvious conflict-of-interest that politicians and judges have that are hearing the lawsuits brought forth, especially considering that many of those judges/politicians sit on the boards of various recording companies, or are receiving significant donations from them.

And let's not even start with the banking/financing systems. These same corporations that kicked off the financial melt-down are the same ones receiving billions in tax payer dollars because they are "too big to fail," yet the victims (i.e., you and I) who received the brunt of the impact and are the same ones footing the bill receive no consideration at all. Tell the folks who were victims of unfair foreclosure proceedings that it's OK, your voice has been heard. Tell the millions who are currently underwater and struggling to pay bills that it is OK, all while Bank of America, Citi and others enjoy terrific profits. These same entities that started the mess and received the bailouts are the same ones gouging customers at every opportunity (with many class action lawsuits pending). The so-called liquidity injections that were supposed to stimulate the economy through increased lending turned into a massive hording scheme, where the banks held the cash infusions, but did not increase lending, or made qualification so challenging that they might as well not lend at all.

In an ideal world, peaceful protests, civilized discussions and public sharing of information would affect change. Unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world, and so, at the end of the day, actions and dollars are the only catalyst of change. Sad....but true.

croc4

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
yeah, and the people who took these loans (i.e. over reached their finances) just to have "nice things" had nothing to do with the 'melt down'
give me a break, another fail for personal responsibility!.

An all too insidious movement has been happening over the recent years, one that seems to be accelerating. People seem to think
they are entitled to have things they want. The hard reality is no!. If you don't own a house, tough, save more and in time you might be able to.

Stop blaming the banks people, sure they are not entirely innocent, but neither are the fools who over reached their finances and purchased
things they couldn't pay for.

If this group brings up the ugly truth, so be it. Freedom has a price, but most people today would rather buy the latest 'i' product than care about their freedom or its cost.

Croc4

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
[citation][nom]supall[/nom]And yet, MLK Jr managed to get his point across without violent protests.[/citation]

And yet the American Revolution couldn't have happened without violence. If you need something more recent, the Civil Rights Movement couldn't help but use violence.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]keczapifrytki[/nom]And yet the American Revolution couldn't have happened without violence. If you need something more recent, the Civil Rights Movement couldn't help but use violence.[/citation]

and people wonder why the USA is so messed up lol

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]supall[/nom]Contrary to belief, Anonymous is a collective few, not a swarm. Not to mention they're cowards hiding beyond a mask, a keyboard, and the internet to "voice their disgust". You start cutting off more heads and the other heads will start cutting themselves in fear. The people that were arrested? That's just the beginning. The more anon pushes back, the faster it'll be for authorities to locate and arrest them.[/citation]

True. Furthermore, I don't know who keeps voting down every comment that is even remotely anti-anon, but it's childish and you guys need to stop. It's a little sad people defend anon's right to "protest" then vote down comments they don't agree with... effectively silencing other individual's rights to protest what anon is doing. That's pretty hypocritical.

My personal opinion is that Anon is playing with fire and doesn't have the resources to back us up when the government inevitably cracks down on ALL internet traffic to control the problem. Anon is making censorship and total surveillance of internet traffic sound like a decent idea to politicians. The companies they hit have lobbyists, anon does not. WE will pay for their actions if they don't stop.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Humans aren't hydras. Humans are humans after all.[/citation]

Humans may not be hydras. But these entities are...

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]and people wonder why the USA is so messed up lol[/citation]

Name one thing that has been accomplished by any of the hacktivists or the occupy movement. Just one.

... I'll wait.

The problem is that the hackers aren't on the same page and fight amongst themselves. And both the hacktivists and the Occupiers lack a complete message or goal. Both are effective at getting attention, however both have failed to motivate politicians or business execs to to make changes with the people's best interest at heart.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]supall[/nom]And yet, MLK Jr managed to get his point across without violent protests.[/citation]
He was also murdered lol, that doesn't sound like fun to me......

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]jaber2[/nom]This will set an example....[/citation]

That the FBI can put the squeeze on one member and capture several others. Who knows, the others may crack and give away even more names. This could cause a domino effect.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]dirtyferret[/nom]i can respect hacktivists but analonymous is not them. they steal credit card info, pirate media, and hack anything and everything for the thrill & money not because they have some self righteous agenda. they simply use that to hind behind. from all the negative clicks I see, it seems like we have a bunch of want to be here. hopefully they also join lulz in jail, i hear most people break on the first day of jail and you know cowards breaking the law who hind behind keyboards break the second they see the FBI.[/citation]

When a group doesn't have names or faces that the public knows of, anyone can just say "they did this!" and post a video with the usual icons and qoutes you hear from them and think they must have done it as there is a random video claiming so.

Sounds like what Sony is trying to pin on Anon.

Status
Not open for further replies.