Anonymous Strikes Deus Ex, Eidos Websites

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carcharocles_theory

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Note: "Psychotic" means hallucinating and/or delusional. It has nothing to do with malicious behavior.

Amazing how these guys covered their tracks so well *sarcasm*. What with them already being blamed for "framing" their fall guy.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Firehead2k[/nom]Based on what's written here, it wasn't Anon that hacked Eidos then...[/citation]
No it is not. But people need to blame the group as a whole any way possible.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]@ScubaActually I don't own a PS3 or other console... PC gamer.. Regardless, no person or group should be allowed to attack a company, negatively affect it's business, effectively tarnish it's reputation, devalue it's stock, damage it's employees livelihood, and then just walk because YOU think the people who use their services should read a book, meet a girl, or use their time differently. That is some seriously flawed thinking being used to excuse some seriously criminal behavior. I have news for you and people like you Scuba. If you dislike Sony or any other corporation, don't buy their products... H3ll, go stand at their door and scream with a picket sign if you want... You have that right... You and everyone else like you do NOT have the right to attack them digitally, deface their property, diminish their ability to do business, or steal from them... This is just as criminal a throwing a firebomb through a front window of a business. The difference being that because this is an internet attack, they can hide behind their anonymity... For a while at least.... Anon needs to burn. I hope you sympathizers burn with them...[/citation]
So you're saying that all "real life" activists should also be put behind bars.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Saying that all of Anon should be brought down because a couple asspies got a burr in their panties and took it out on a former Anon member doesn't mean what Anon is doing is wrong (the rest of their actions, maybe, but not this particular example). Remember, Anonymous doesn't claim credit for the Sony hackings, and the main body of Anonymous didn't claim credit for these hackings (and these groups typically like to claim credit).

Is performing a DDoS any different than getting a flash mob to picket a store? It might be on a larger scale, but then again, it takes a lot more computers to block-off a website than it does angry people to block-off the entrance of a store. If PeTA were picketing a clothing store for selling fur or leather, and some jerk, wearing a PeTA T-Shirt, walks in a steals a pair of jeans while security is distracted with the protesters, does that mean PeTA is at fault? No.

Now, you may not think Sony's business practices or selling fur is a protestable offense, but
some people do. Some people didn't think taxation without representation was deserving of a revolution, but the U.S. won it's independence despite the British sympathizers.

Look at any revolution. In Egypt, hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of Egyptians actively revolted against the government and got the president to step down. At the same time, some a-holes, drunk with power, took to the streets and beat-up or sexually assaulted reporters. Now, you can't say the whole Egyptian "revolution" was flawed because a fringe group of psychopaths took advantage of the chaos. Those individuals were flawed, and either caved to the mob mentality, or knowingly took advantage of it.

Same with these little script-kiddies (sounds like they didn't do the hack themselves, probably couldn't). Anon is causing chaos in the world, and these jerks decided to carve out a little venture of their own.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
If it wasn't Anon condoned, then they need to out these guys to save face.

They might not have supported it but they are encouraging the kind of behavior that spawns into this by using people who have a weak grasp on morals. There needs to be more action than just kicking people out who obviously had weak ties to the group already.

You can say its to punish the big fish at the top, but all the big fish do when they lose money is fire the average joes who work for them to compensate. Who do you really hurt in the end?

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]weaselsmasher[/nom]Do people understand yet why Anonymous aren't heroes? They're just people who like to hurt other people, then hide behind "social justice" or other empty marketing-grade buzzwords. Anonymous does not give a damn about Guantanamo, Tibet, or whatever other cause they use as excuse. Don't fool yourselves; they're the online equivalent of wife-beaters.Giving a sullen Asperger's poster-child punk computer skills doesn't somehow make them anything other than a skilled punk.[/citation]

Did you even read the article or did you just see "Anonymous" in the title and immediately start bashing your face against the keyboard? Just because someone used to be Anon doesn't give you the right to associate this with them. You might as well say every christian is a murderer if one goes and shoots up a place, because, hey he used to be christian, right?

[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]@ScubaActually I don't own a PS3 or other console... PC gamer.. Regardless, no person or group should be allowed to attack a company, negatively affect it's business, effectively tarnish it's reputation, devalue it's stock, damage it's employees livelihood, and then just walk because YOU think the people who use their services should read a book, meet a girl, or use their time differently. That is some seriously flawed thinking being used to excuse some seriously criminal behavior. I have news for you and people like you Scuba. If you dislike Sony or any other corporation, don't buy their products... H3ll, go stand at their door and scream with a picket sign if you want... You have that right... You and everyone else like you do NOT have the right to attack them digitally, deface their property, diminish their ability to do business, or steal from them... This is just as criminal a throwing a firebomb through a front window of a business. The difference being that because this is an internet attack, they can hide behind their anonymity... For a while at least.... Anon needs to burn. I hope you sympathizers burn with them...[/citation]

Rosa Parks didn't have the right to sit in the front of the bus either. The law isn't always correct.

But either way, DDoS attacks cause minor damage and don't really hurt anyone that badly, it's more like the internet version of a picket line. You know how those actually work right? Picketers discourage people from doing business with a company by any means they're willing to take. Picket lines can get violent with just one person taking things too far. They're pretty disruptive to a business, but without them workers would have far less rights. Hacking can go the same way, sometimes it's a simple DDoS and sometimes someone goes too far and steals personal info. A poorly organized group like Anonymous can't control their members well enough to prevent it, but the majority isn't pushing for anything more extreme either. Most of them are script kiddies, but there's some real hackers in the bunch who can actually get personal into and ruin lives. If Anonymous as a whole wanted to terrorize, they could. They could get private addresses, make pipebombs, hack into people's accounts and spread malicious info. Do not underestimate the power of a large group of people, they can protest peacefully, but if a few people start straying the wrong way the whole group could move with it. Be glad they're here though, because without people standing up for themselves, we'll be controlled like cattle pretty fast. The government would love nothing more than having an excuse to put a collar around your neck.

It's more likely just someone hired by Sony to ruin Anonymous' reputation in the ignorant masses. It's really pretty easy to label someone a terrorist considering so few actually bother to check facts and just believe what the news tells them. You don't ruin peaceful movements with clubs, you ruin them with propaganda and deceit. The more "evil acts" Anons do, the more Sony can play the victim and try to get people to forget they had lousy security to begin with.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

Refer to Hellwig's post. I couldn't have possibly said it better myself. Needless to say.. This country was forged upon actions very similar to that of what Anon is doing now. The basics are the exact same now, as they were then.. Alot of people have had enough, and Anon agrees, and they have the resources to do something about it. Do they need to DDoS everything, and misc, into oblivion from time to time? Maybe, maybe not. But as Hellwig mentioned.. I'm fairly certain we didn't need to make the Boston Harbor taste better...

Simply put.. America was founded on standing up again corruption. If you don't have the will, fortitude, or character to do the same.. Or are simply not affected/don't care.. Shut up and stay out of their way. Anon isn't trying to hurt you, but some things will splatter a bit when they launch an "attack". War, is never pretty. And that's exactly what Anon is doing on the digital front.

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
So you're saying that all "real life" activists should also be put behind bars.

No, I actually didn't say that... nice try at a sensational lie based comeback though... Activism != hacking in digital realm just as it does not equal burning buildings IRL. As to jailing people over activism in real life, if they were attacking a business physically and setting it's offices on fire, then YES. Put them in jail. Regardless, your statement is absurd. Go picket something if you wanna be an activist. Activism this is/was not... It was criminal... Theft, destruction, defacement, and denial of service are all criminal acts regardless of whether you do it digitally or IRL.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]No, I actually didn't say that... nice try at a sensational lie based comeback though... Activism != hacking in digital realm just as it does not equal burning buildings IRL. As to jailing people over activism in real life, if they were attacking a business physically and setting it's offices on fire, then YES. Put them in jail. Regardless, your statement is absurd. Go picket something if you wanna be an activist. Activism this is/was not... It was criminal... Theft, destruction, defacement, and denial of service are all criminal acts regardless of whether you do it digitally or IRL.[/citation]

If you didn't say that, please.. pray tell what the heck you meant by:
"Anon needs to burn. I hope you sympathizers burn with them..."
Because.. Personally, that sounds bad to me. Sounds like I should get the same punishment as your "so called" criminals.. just for supporting them. PS.. Communist's do the same thing to their citizens. You a commie buddy? If not, chill out.. Your being ridiculous. And childish. If I get enough people to stand around a building, shoulder to shoulder.. Then no one could enter without assaulting someone. That's basically the same as a DDoS.. Actively doing something until services can not be rendered.

And nobody said THIS instance of hacking wasn't criminal. This had no point, or reason. Nor are those responsible doing anything to make their agenda clear. So, as such, we are forced to conclude/assume they did it for fun. THESE guys should be punished. Anon, however, stands for something. Maybe you should be a little less judgmental about those who are different in mind, or body, than yourself. Or go to China. I've been there too.. I think you sound like you would fit right in.

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Oh, and picketers can stand out front and try to persuade you not to use a company. They cannot stand at the door and block you from entering. Freedom means letting YOU choose to do business with them or not. DDos takes that choice away from everyone. Don't try and play it down like it is not a big deal and "not real damage". It may not destroy something real but it DOES infringe on the rights of a person to choose. Be careful with all this rhetoric about the Revolutionary War. Anon and it's ilk are worse than the foes they claim to stand against. The millions of people affected by the PSN outage aren't Sony nor are they a tax hungry monarchy. The difference between Anon and the Boston Tea Party is that colonists were standing against a government overtaxing them. Freedom was being infringed by placing an overburden on people to the crown. Anon attacks BUSINESSES. These aren't governments. They aren't suppressing the will of the people. People choose to use them or don't. It is a free market. Anon and several of you responders want to claim that they are activists? Please, which website did you attack that is worthy of the comparison to Rosa Parks above. You really will say anything to try and justify your acts won't you? The facts are these. Hackers are not standing against injustice. They are destroying something in the name of a false cause. If you guys wanna try and convince yourselves that you are Internet Knights here to save the unwitting masses... enjoy that. I hope they lock your ass away and you have to try and explain to a hairy man named bubba how you are so cool as a hacker... The rest of us in reality know you are a bunch of disgruntled a******s with good computer skills...

machvelocy

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
i sense a huge con to disrepute anon...

as expected tho, coz anons pick huge names as their target. they will retaliate somehow

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]So you're saying that all "real life" activists should also be put behind bars.[/citation]

If they use illegal means to get their point across. Definitely. If they cause millions of dollars in financial damages to not only their target, but other companies who do business with them, like the PSN attack, that they as a group would never be able to pay back, they should either spend the rest of their life in prison, or the rest of their life working for minimum wage as a janitor for one of the companies they affected.

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
[citation][nom]TheRabidDeer[/nom]Last I checked they didnt hate on everyone that uses a PS3. They took down sony for a short while with a DDoS attack, but the people that caused PSN to be down for so long were not part of Anon.Also, from what I read in this article, anon had nothing to do with the attack on Eidos. For once, I really disagree with the title of an article.[/citation]
They did the DDoS which the hacker exploited to breach the system. In a way they did have something to do with it. And what justifies their action on DDoS-ing? They hate Sony, throw away the PS3 then. don't involve others.

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Funny thing about you and those like you Scuba... You love your rhetoric... Communist? Pfffttt... Actually lived in China for 3 years working in IT... Which is way more than most Americans can say...

G

I live in montreal and recently applied multiple times at the eidos branch. I hope no hackers call me!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Go Scuba Dave go. !!

How Kevin can tie this to Anonymous is beyond my grasp. The article itself states it was a splinter of a splinter, but the title is going for sensationalism.

There is one thing everyone learns with age, If your going to throw egg, don't throw egg on people that have any level of power over you. You don't call the fast food employee a worthless piece of crap after ordering a burger unless you literally want a crappy burger, or enjoy the taste of spit/hairballs.

You live in the digital world, why would you intentionally misrepresent in an untruthful light the largest gray/black hat hacking community the ever existed?

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]Oh, and picketers can stand out front and try to persuade you not to use a company. They cannot stand at the door and block you from entering. Freedom means letting YOU choose to do business with them or not.[/citation]

Oh yes, I agree.. Picketers can not stand at the door blocking entry..legally.. But, lets say that I hated a particular starbucks store, and amassed.. oh.. an unreal 10000 people to protest, and we utterly surrounded the building? Do you honestly think that we couldn't block off entrance for a limited run before the police arrived and "asked" us to leave? Hell, with 10000 people, I'm pretty sure no one would get a ticket as long as we "peacefully" left.. Even if it took us a long ass time ;P Same thing with a DDoS. It's just a digital picket. But stop candy coating your opinion also.. BOTH cause damage, monetary and/or digital. But they are possible, and they happen. This is what we call real life, kid.
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]DDos takes that choice away from everyone. Don't try and play it down like it is not a big deal and "not real damage". It may not destroy something real but it DOES infringe on the rights of a person to choose.[/citation]
Yes it does take away choice.. Just like the Boston Tea Party, or a Labor Union Strike, or many other actions. Or the recent stuff with the NFL. All of that takes away your choices.. Are you gonna cry and whine about that too? In no way, shape, or form have any of us said this wasn't REAL damage. It's real. It's costly... And I think it's awesome.. Sony deserved it. These two companies.. not so much. This was just mean. Sony.. is a piece of crap company, and i'll continue to buy popcorn and watch them squirm. THAT is my right. And I'll be sure to exercise it.
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]Be careful with all this rhetoric about the Revolutionary War. Anon and it's ilk are worse than the foes they claim to stand against. The millions of people affected by the PSN outage aren't Sony nor are they a tax hungry monarchy. The difference between Anon and the Boston Tea Party is that colonists were standing against a government overtaxing them. Freedom was being infringed by placing an overburden on people to the crown. Anon attacks BUSINESSES. These aren't governments. They aren't suppressing the will of the people. People choose to use them or don't. It is a free market.[/citation]
And you be careful about your judgmental, holier than thou, arrogant, pompous attitude k? And your right.. the colonists were standing up against a government.. Anon just stood up to Sony. But the similarities between them exist regardless. The Monarchy was over-taxing, Sony over-charges. The Monarchy was over-controlling, SONY is over-controlling. The Monarchy took away freedoms, SONY actually found a way to LEGALLY take away MY freedom to do whatever I want with what I paid for in-full and OWN. Yeah. There are similarities alright.. Even if your too narrow-minded to see them. Also, when the Boston Tea Party threw the tea into the Harbor.. Was the property of a Company, fyi. Yeah, yeah, it was the EITC, however still a company, still had employees, and all those other negative effects on them you so love to tout. And they still tossed it over, and the USA still calls it AMERICAN and teaches the story to this day. So sorry but you are wrong here. And thankfully your opinion isn't law.. because what you keep saying makes me afraid of the implications they would have over time. I honestly don't think you realize how Communistic your opinions are. I can think of a dozen freedoms we now have that, can be taken away, realistically, if what you've said was enacted and made law. And that's just off the top of my head. That's bad. But I urge you to keep your beliefs. It makes my day entertaining to hear the crazy ramblings of a modern day Crusader. But inside of going off to kill and conquer.. Your just whining and crying, and basically condemning us to hell. Yeah.. reeally mature.
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]Anon and several of you responders want to claim that they are activists? Please, which website did you attack that is worthy of the comparison to Rosa Parks above. You really will say anything to try and justify your acts won't you? The facts are these. Hackers are not standing against injustice. They are destroying something in the name of a false cause. If you guys wanna try and convince yourselves that you are Internet Knights here to save the unwitting masses... enjoy that. I hope they lock your ass away and you have to try and explain to a hairy man named bubba how you are so cool as a hacker... The rest of us in reality know you are a bunch of disgruntled assh0les with good computer skills...[/citation]
Your opinion isn't required, wanted, or needed, to confirm whether or not Anon are "activists". Nor is it desired, considered, or pondered about. Your opinions, slowly but surely, are becoming very vividly to us all as those of a bitter and jaded little man(or woman.. /shrug) who wants nothing more than anyone and everyone that stands in your way, or not with you, to burn in agony, because you simply MUST be the center of the universe. Me, personally, I don't care what you do, ever, as long as you don't come physically in my path and bar my family. Get in my way all you want, I'll walk around you, and those like you all day. I've done it for the last 28 years, no problem.. Another 50.. meh, I don't care. But then again.. That's where you and I are different. Your bitter and angry and apparently violent, and I'm not. I only do what I must, and don't judge opinions unless they are attempted to be forced on me. And so, as your trying to force yours on me.. I pity you kid. And to think you also couldn't help but throw in the inevitable jail-gay-butt-ravaging comment that is so frequently said by those who are utterly dismissed, and invalidated in their stance. Your so funny kid. And we are hardly disgruntled.. but you sound like you might be.. Also.. why did the thought of man-on-man love come to your mind on this subject? We were talking about Sony, Anon, Boston, etc... Or... were you just getting hungry ;D
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]Funny thing about you and those like you Scuba... You love your rhetoric... Communist? Pfffttt... Actually lived in China for 3 years working in IT... Which is way more than most Americans can say...[/citation]
You lived in China for 3 years? CALLED it! I knew you would fit right in. Go home then. Please. :) If not, whatever. It's your life. :)

Dalethepcman.. I

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Sony took away your ability to run extra code on your PS3 so now you equate that to a great injustice worthy of multi-million dollar attacks, forced outages that punish your co-users on PSN, and theft??? Revolutions serve the needs and wills of the masses. Not an elite few who are angry they cannot root their PS3. Trust me kid. Anyone reading these exchanges has your number at this point. And for the record, freedom means you can always buy a 360 and ditch your PS3 if you don't like Sony's biz practices. What you espouse and do in the name of Anon is a bastardized version of how you see your rights. And it is sad you think your perceived rights (no one has a right to hack a PS3) are more important than those of millions of other people. You talk completely out of your a$$. YOUR FREEDOM TO HACK A PS3?? HOW ABOUT MILLIONS OF PEOPLES FREEDOM TO USE SONY??? You are an utter failure and Anon is self-promoting, self-absorbed, self-serving, and utterly selfish by nature. No one was helped by their actions now or in the past. But I bet you looked at that PS3 that can't run Linux now and got all indignantly self righteous. Keep up the work. It should lead you to where you belong.. Jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS