Anonymous Teases NATO Hack, Challenges FBI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Maybe we should hire al Qaeda to take down Anonymous. I saw this in an episode of South Park in regards to Jersey Shore. Oh wait...we've already killed bin Laden. I guess that won't work.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
As far as I am concerned, the fact a bunch of self trained individuals can compromise the FBI and NATO should signal an alert to ALL. This is no laughing matter. These agencies are supposed to be the cream of the crop. You are all screwed.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
There is a serious flaw in their logic. They *assume* at some point governments would concede defeat. That is laughable. The truth is, every country will end up with a firewall that makes China's look like a wide open door, with everyone being monitored. They also fail to understand that while it is VERY difficult, they ARE intact traceable. All it would take is a subpoena to have ISP's log all traffic for a bit. Even using the bot nets and what not, a few hours of forensics would find the source of the connection. And challenging the big money corporations and the power hungry federal government is a good way to enact change; A change that would solidify further the positions of both of those bodies, and screw over the people even more.
Most governments, especially the United States, are willing to sacrifice just about everything to keep their power, and won't ever allow some one to make it look like they have less than total control. Lets evaluate governments:
For about 40 years two governments who couldn't agree were actively threatening mutual destruction just because of penile inadequacies.
Does any one in anonymous REALLY think they are going to give two sh*ts about their threats?
hah..

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
The file is available again.

And based on their reply, I really wish this was their agenda. But sadly they have proven it is not. Or at least not their only agenda. The hacking of dumb shit like games etc, pointless, but them fighting with the government on what, at least to me, is a valid point might just be a good thing. Here is an exert of their post...
* Governments lying to their citizens and inducing fear and terror to keep
them in control by dismantling their freedom piece by piece.

* Corporations aiding and conspiring with said governments while taking
advantage at the same time by collecting billions of funds for
federal contracts we all know they can't fulfil.

* Lobby conglomerates who only follow their agenda to push the profits
higher, while at the same time being deeply involved in governments around
the world with the only goal to infiltrate and corrupt them enough
so the status quo will never change.

I hate to say it but I agree. I personally do not have the skills or the balls to do anything about it, but they do, it seems. So this time I will kindly look away from their shenanigans.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]thekurrgan[/nom]There is a serious flaw in their logic. They *assume* at some point governments would concede defeat. That is laughable. The truth is, every country will end up with a firewall that makes China's look like a wide open door, with everyone being monitored. They also fail to understand that while it is VERY difficult, they ARE intact traceable. All it would take is a subpoena to have ISP's log all traffic for a bit. Even using the bot nets and what not, a few hours of forensics would find the source of the connection. And challenging the big money corporations and the power hungry federal government is a good way to enact change; A change that would solidify further the positions of both of those bodies, and screw over the people even more. Most governments, especially the United States, are willing to sacrifice just about everything to keep their power, and won't ever allow some one to make it look like they have less than total control. Lets evaluate governments:For about 40 years two governments who couldn't agree were actively threatening mutual destruction just because of penile inadequacies. Does any one in anonymous REALLY think they are going to give two sh*ts about their threats?hah..[/citation]

You *assume* that everyone would accept the kind of firewalling and censorship that goes on in China. People seem to have forgotten who's really supposed to have the power. The US is not a dictatorship (yet). They want to slowly take those liberties away so you don't notice. Suddenly taking them without a good excuse like the "threat of terrorism" could end up reminding people that they decide who's getting reelected. If they could clamp down on the internet, they would have already done so when WIkileaks kicked dirt in their face..

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Well, for some it looks like this couldn't have come at a better time. Oh, isn't it just a real coincidence that this just pops up in the press:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-12/white-house-releases-proposed-cybersecurity-legislation.html

I genuinely hope I'm wrong in what I see developing here. I really do. It's almost like we're being set up; like they have a solution to a problem that is yet to fully manifest. If or and when the proverbial should hit the fan, what's the betting there will be yet another policy update around that time? What's the betting there will be a 'training exercise" taking place? Ring any bells? Why NOW do the attacks (from a largely unknown source), occur? Why NOW at a time when this country is financially, on it's knees..to set the trend for the next decade, even if no trend exists? I hope I am wrong in this. But I hope we aren't all being fed a pack of lies in order to condition us. Politicians have been known to use such tactics throughout history, from paid agitators to far worse destructive elements - and all for the purpose of either creating or removing their enemy.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]weaselsmasher[/nom]I think there are a few people who are about to slip on the soap a few dozen times in a jail cell. The FBI and NATO, if they get angry enough, aren't going to bother with civil rights and trials. Look up how NATO handled things when the Red Brigade started attacking NATO officials back in the 70's... basically, NATO members set loose their intelligence organizations and assassinated any suspected Red Brigade member. As in, dead dead dead.Let's see if these so-called "hacktivists" are prepared to endure "enhanced interrogation" or being fitted for a shallow grave for their beliefs. It's going to come to that if they keep poking people who are above the law with sticks. Given that Lulz have harmed millions of ordinary citizens with their data exposures, they're also going to have a whole lot less public support than they seem to think they do. They haven't attacked Sony; they've attacked Sony customers. Anyone who has been harmed by Lulz' data exposures is going to fully back anything that the FBI and NATO does in retaliation, up to and including physical harm and 'disappearances'.This isn't a game any more, but Lulz is just plain too stupid and adolescent to realize that.Yet.[/citation]

I think you have every right to be angry. But I disagree with being judge and jury without giving people a fair trial. I also think you're being over-optimistic about people's unbridled support of a NATO or FBI directive. They should not be so willing, in my opinion.

You do not know who is behind these attacks. It's all well and good when it's some nameless entity overseas, one who we're told by the media is the bad guy. Even those who's bodies have yet to turn up. But when TPTB get full support for the violation of human rights of people closer to home, you get tyranny. That includes trial without due process. Look at the Patriot Act if you think this scenario isn't even remotely possible. The government should in a sense fear the people, not the other way round and I think you don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to worry about the way things are turning in this country especially given the dire state of the economy.

They took out Osama,

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Device Unknown[/nom]The file is available again.And based on their reply, I really wish this was their agenda. But sadly they have proven it is not. Or at least not their only agenda. The hacking of dumb shit like games etc, pointless, but them fighting with the government on what, at least to me, is a valid point might just be a good thing. Here is an exert of their post...* Governments lying to their citizens and inducing fear and terror to keep them in control by dismantling their freedom piece by piece. * Corporations aiding and conspiring with said governments while taking advantage at the same time by collecting billions of funds for federal contracts we all know they can't fulfil. * Lobby conglomerates who only follow their agenda to push the profits higher, while at the same time being deeply involved in governments around the world with the only goal to infiltrate and corrupt them enough so the status quo will never change. I hate to say it but I agree. I personally do not have the skills or the balls to do anything about it, but they do, it seems. So this time I will kindly look away from their shenanigans.[/citation]

My question is this: is anonymous - an unknown entity - fighting for this things, or against them? Is this movement merely there to cut away the dead wood (physical wars), and replace it with something new (information wars)? Welcome to a new agenda. A new economy. A new enemy that slithers like a snake and still manages evades capture at every turn. An enemy that as much as they are despised, has immense capacity for oiling the cogs of the industrial-military and media complex. The best of it? We can use our own form of anonymity to avoid justifying what we do, all under the guise of national security.

Worst-case scenario: An invisible enemy, being chased by an invisible army. Who do you really think is going to come off worse: the bankers? The politicians? The offshore interests? Come of it. It's you.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
This is great news actually. If hactivist think they can attempt to breach military systems, you can bet they will be hunted down for the rest of their lives and face max sentences.

Way to declare cyber war Anonymous, you've pretty much declared it yourself and will get caught.

G

The article mentioned the "Wild West of the Internet". Well the "Wild West" was eventually won in the real world. It may take several years, but what will happen is governments will become more security conscious, new laws will be written, and the Internet will become a lot more restrictive. The hackers will cause the very problem they are trying to prevent = A lack of Internet Freedom.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
you know, it may never be simple, but if a firewall really does pop up like china, formerly free countries will never stand for it.

we have wifi routers, and if we really want it, we have ways to make them more powerful, as in miles of service, its just illegal to do that. now if government really takes the internet, do you think we will care about what they say is illegal?

there is a reason we have guns in america, and i swear to what ever god you believe in if my internet is taking ill damn sure use them, thankfully, we should all know where to point them to.

my question is, how pro government is the lower ranks of the military? because they could turn depending on how bad the situation gets.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Eventually Anonymous will lose, maybe not right away, but eventually they'll lose.

But them attempting to hack things is not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. If anything, it'll help strengthen data security.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
to everyone who complains that Anon is going too far, it's people like you that let this government and the world government walk all over your rights as a human being. it's because of lazy, live in fear attitude people, such as yourselves that things like 9/11 can be well known (and documented by the U.S. Govt) before they even happen.

WAKE UP. This government doesn't care about you and if you are willing to sit by while you are stuck being a slave to the dollar (which, lets be honest, all money really is these days is your labor hours being traded) then you get everything you deserve. Plus you have NO RIGHT to complain about politics, budgets, jobs, national security, blah blah blah because you are the sheep that created all these problems.

So stop crying, suck it up and help the country (the citizens of it)...otherwise, feel free to jump off a cliff. ttfn

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I find it interesting when the great and might Anonymous talks about all this government tyranny, but they are not hacking the Chinese, Iran, Syria or Russia. They strike me as a bunch of big mouth know it alls. They have no idea what governments are really capable of, but I am certain they will soon find out. Amazes me that people think they can hide behind their computer and just do what they want and be what they want. We don't need people hacking Sony, if you have a problem with Sony quit buying their products, the problem will take care of itself. If they stole a bunch of NATO documents it was an inside job. I doubt they hacked into a secure encrypted server from the outside, and it won't be long before the inside man takes a fall. Soon they will decide that your bank is lousy and take their ATM and electronic systems offline for a week. You and thousands of others won't be able to access any of your money or use an ATM machine or credit card; but hey Anonymous sure taught your bank a lesson.

treiz

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
These kids need to take serious stock of this situation. I'm all for fighting for what you believe in, but this is the wrong way to do it. On top of that these agencies can and probably will get real nasty real quick. I never saw a tribe of pygmies try to pick a fight with a column of tanks, I can only hope these kids can muster the same kind of wisdom. >.

themanstan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Interesting, my understanding is that NATO restricted is just up from unclassified, which generally means it's available to the public if they really look hard.
Secondly, NATO is a group of countries not all of whom love each other, so data released by said countries to each other is done very carefully. So this makes RESTRICTED documents all the more dull... i'd be impressed if they supplied a redacted SECRET document...

stige

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
all it will take to make Anon and Lulz irrelevant is for the Government to operate transparently, really, truly transparently and to also harden their infrastructure and better educate their users.

that gets done and Anon doesn't have a purpose.

johnsmithhatesVLC

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
This stuff makes "Hackers" the movie seem plausible. I'm fully aware big companies and governments do lie (who is dumb enough to believe they don't?) I support this movement. People need to see the truth that many things are still corrupt and the world isn't as nice as people think.

I highly doubt an anonymous group can be stopped. Jobs and positions of organizations can easily be replaced. If FBI arrests some dumb members that couldn't cover their steps or follow protocol, the movement will still go on.

This stuff better be in the history books of the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.