Anonymous Teases NATO Hack, Challenges FBI

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

potatolord

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I don't support Anon because I don't know who they are or what they stand for.

As anon hackers (or those accused of being one) get arrested, tried and possibly convicted and given time in jail, enthusiasm for such things will fall back to a hardcore. There won't need to be that many convictions- the sight of a dozen 19 year olds getting 4 years in the penitentiary will convince many that it's just not worth the hassle.

Poking a big dog with a small stick is generally a bad idea.

G

I'll start applauding these people when I see evidence of them actually exposing lies that are being kept from the public. At the moment, they are just playing the "look at me" game.

Am I the only one who finds it absolutely hilarious and rather telling that Anon has refused to release the data it's collected from NATO? It would be "irresponsible". Who does Anon have a responsibility to? I thought they were exposing the bad guys for the good of the citizenry. Choosing to withhold this information eliminates transparency and goes against everything they claim to stand for. Regardless of what they are hiding, they are admitting that some things are better kept under the rug. Not everything is so black and white.

I don't doubt their hacking prowess and their call for transparency is a novel one, but their actions thus far have been nothing more than an attention grabber to feed their egos and low self esteem. They are like angsty teenagers lashing out against adults.

I grow tired of hearing people who blindly support them without any concrete reasoning simply because "it's cool to be a rebel".

G

It's funny how so many people are saying the threat of assassination and torture looms over hacktivists. If you really believed so, wouldn't that be enough of a reason to rise against those in power? Some of these comments are despicable. It is the government who should be afraid of its people. Cowards.

bgaimur

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Our government and governments like it around the world now exist wielding the powers that come from running an industrial military complex for over 5 decades. The amount of tax money exchanged between businessmen and the representatives of government during this time is beyond your wildest imagination (and yes, it's why we've been running the deficit up since the 1950's). We've seen what happens when corporations that benefit from this system get too powerful: Black water, halliburton, just to name a couple. We enter wars for absolutely any reason, even if the reason is completely made-up. We allow our individual freedoms to be trounced in order for this system to grow and continue to permeate every second of our lives. The United States of [insert corporation logo here] no long represents "the people" as a whole, but instead favors every want and need of the people who exert immense power upon our legislators and judiciary alike in the form of bribery.

What does all of this have to do with Anonymous? From what I've read, they understand at least that much. And do I agree with everything they do? Of course not. But I stand to believe that our government no longer fears its people, rather our people fear our government. Therefore, an entity that exists to remove the face from the idea is a just one indeed. Insert quotes from Batman or V for Vendetta.

irtehyar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
I don't usually fall to quoting internet memes, but, WOW way too much TL;DR in the comments. :p

I wish these idiots would be real heros and start taking out spammers. EVERYONE hates those scum.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Going after NATO, FBI, NSA...

Just imagine what happens if their actions interfere with a drug dealer's business, or the Russian mob ( who has quite capable hackers and 'scene' connections).
They do not send "cease and desist" letters. They have far more efficient ways of dealing with problems.
Just because you successfully poked a Chihuahua with a stick does not mean you are ready to go after a pack of hungry pit bulls !

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
[citation][nom]Dandalf[/nom]This will only stop when the hackers decide it should.[/citation]
Wrong, there is no limitation on how long the FBI will work this. Be it now or 50 years from now, one thing is certain, they'll be at your door one day. One thing these hactivists haven't realized yet... They have a target on them for the rest of their lives.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
[citation][nom]dirkrster1[/nom]The article mentioned the "Wild West of the Internet". Well the "Wild West" was eventually won in the real world. It may take several years, but what will happen is governments will become more security conscious, new laws will be written, and the Internet will become a lot more restrictive. The hackers will cause the very problem they are trying to prevent = A lack of Internet Freedom.[/citation]
Pretty much right on. These people are bringing about their own worst nightmare. They're just too young or naive to realize it.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
[citation][nom]heykidimacomputer[/nom]I'll start applauding these people when I see evidence of them actually exposing lies that are being kept from the public. At the moment, they are just playing the "look at me" game.Am I the only one who finds it absolutely hilarious and rather telling that Anon has refused to release the data it's collected from NATO? It would be "irresponsible". Who does Anon have a responsibility to? I thought they were exposing the bad guys for the good of the citizenry. Choosing to withhold this information eliminates transparency and goes against everything they claim to stand for. Regardless of what they are hiding, they are admitting that some things are better kept under the rug. Not everything is so black and white.I don't doubt their hacking prowess and their call for transparency is a novel one, but their actions thus far have been nothing more than an attention grabber to feed their egos and low self esteem. They are like angsty teenagers lashing out against adults.I grow tired of hearing people who blindly support them without any concrete reasoning simply because "it's cool to be a rebel".[/citation]

Exactly my thoughts.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Ok I see why Annoymous etc would want to target corrupt companies and banks ect, but for goodness sake why hack NATO ? what happens to the data they aquire ??

This just goes to prove that these "stupid" individuals have no credibility, all they do is brag about there achievements.... sad...

Maybe there should be a new punishment for these people, I for one would vote for "lethal injection" when they get caught

G

I hope important people don't bother to read some of these comments. People talk of death or murder like they know something about it. Someone even said cyber war may have a higher price than real war. Are you a damned moron? You obviously never watched CNN and saw your buddies' faces appear on the tv with the latest casualty update. Our government may not be able to pay the electric bill very soon, or any other bill, or wages, or benefits. The hacker group is small potatoes compared to the bigger picture. All this cloak and dagger bull everyone fantasizes about... its too damned expensive these days. I just hope our government is spending a proportionate amount of funds for hacktivists that will never amount to more than a few tidbits here and there. They chose an unlawful path and it'll be too easy for any entity to quickly dismiss their rants as children who watched too much television.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
All of the people that are seriously posting things like "these people will just be made to disappear one day" These are your parents, your neighbors, your co-workers, your children, your friends. Even in the FBI and the ranks of the military there is a limit to what anyone with a conscience will do. If all of the hackers just started disappearing because the military starts sniping them in their homes, what kind of public outcry would you see.

I can tell you this much, if my children were executed because of our government hiding its dirty laundry (that should be aired), I would be the first in line to burn down the white house.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]to everyone who complains that Anon is going too far, it's people like you that let this government and the world government walk all over your rights as a human being. it's because of lazy, live in fear attitude people, such as yourselves that things like 9/11 can be well known (and documented by the U.S. Govt) before they even happen. WAKE UP. This government doesn't care about you and if you are willing to sit by while you are stuck being a slave to the dollar (which, lets be honest, all money really is these days is your labor hours being traded) then you get everything you deserve. Plus you have NO RIGHT to complain about politics, budgets, jobs, national security, blah blah blah because you are the sheep that created all these problems.So stop crying, suck it up and help the country (the citizens of it)...otherwise, feel free to jump off a cliff. ttfn[/citation]

That is why you have the right to vote. As a voting citizen, you DO HAVE THAT RIGHT to complain. Many times in any country a politician makes promises just to sway your vote. This is a general comment that goes towards all who are elected, I'm not in anyway showing bias for 1 politician or the other.

niyosha

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Come on, this is pointless.

The only way this works out for them in the long run is to gain popular support.

NATO? Really? Why target the people who fight our wars when you can target the ones who start them? Why target our law enforcement when you can target those who make the unjust laws?

Both of these groups have shown that they have the skills to take on the bigwigs, but they rarely put them to good use. Expose a crooked CEO, a financial scandal, an evil military contractor, or perhaps a congressman on the take. Target the ones tearing our society apart rather than the ones who try hard to keep it together.

Do that and you'll truly have my respect. As well as a certain "not guilty" vote if I'm ever on one of your juries.

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Dandalf[/nom]The authorities cannot win. This will only stop when the hackers decide it should.[/citation] Uh huh... I think it might also stop when the hackers are all in prison getting raped up the ass in the showers.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]sh4dow83[/nom]complain to whom? you can scream into a paper bag, that has the same effect as pretty much anything you can do within the political system.voting is bullshit within most western countries because that pathetic representational democracy and voting every couple of years does NOTHING to actually represent what the public wants.and is absurdly stupid to act as if the only other alternative to voting every couple of years is to not vote at all. yes, within the system that is the only option. but one could always change the system to allow people direct influence. all those polls conducted by gallup and whatnot should really be votes for policy decisions. the majority votes for a single payer health care system? single payer it is then. the majority votes to withdraw troops from a certain country? and gone they are. THAT is what democracy should look like.oh and above all... in a true democracy, you should never have to be afraid about repercussions for speaking out against the government.[/citation]
Not sure about where you live, but in Toronto, people pour out to Dundas Square and Protest or have social gatherings all the time to voice their concerns. The Canadian public seem to voice concerns and it seems to help.
Does no one in America never have non-violent protest to voice your concerns? Cause I can tell you one thing, when you get a 1000 people in a community square politicians notice.

I've never participated in these events, but as a citizen I am able to under the Freedom of Speech.

If you Americans (I presume) don't show your support of your own basic rights, then how do you expect to be heard? You answer is not to vote? Are you a young eligible voter, or a long time voter thats is just upset with the recent elections?

Polls only represent a small percentage of the population (a couple thousand) and therefore don't express the overall representation of the country. If you conducted the very same poll in various parts of the country and then compared them all separately you would see very different outcomes.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]bgaimur[/nom]Our government and governments like it around the world now exist wielding the powers that come from running an industrial military complex for over 5 decades. The amount of tax money exchanged between businessmen and the representatives of government during this time is beyond your wildest imagination (and yes, it's why we've been running the deficit up since the 1950's). We've seen what happens when corporations that benefit from this system get too powerful: Black water, halliburton, just to name a couple. We enter wars for absolutely any reason, even if the reason is completely made-up. We allow our individual freedoms to be trounced in order for this system to grow and continue to permeate every second of our lives. The United States of [insert corporation logo here] no long represents "the people" as a whole, but instead favors every want and need of the people who exert immense power upon our legislators and judiciary alike in the form of bribery. What does all of this have to do with Anonymous? From what I've read, they understand at least that much. And do I agree with everything they do? Of course not. But I stand to believe that our government no longer fears its people, rather our people fear our government. Therefore, an entity that exists to remove the face from the idea is a just one indeed. Insert quotes from Batman or V for Vendetta.[/citation]

What do you think of the Patriot Act? I find it very hard for the Supreme Court to look at this and see how its not unconstitutional. So many State laws being passed too are so unconstitutional aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.