Anti Static (Grounding)

Nuttybuckethead

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
Hi, building first PC and have an anti static wrist strap because my floor is carpet. I plan to build my pc on a wooden desk which sits on carpet. The question is this, do I need to plug my PSU into the wall socket then attach the wrist clip to the case? There are loads of debates on the internet about this, some people say this can cause death or something. Or should I just attach the clip to the case with no PSU connection?

Solution
It can cause death ... not you but PC components.

If ya take of ya shoes and touch the PC case each time before ya pick up something, you will be just fine. If ya wanna erase all doubt and allow for "forgetting" ... the ModMat is the way to go

Damn ... why do peeps have to add music to videos ... IT'S UNWELCOME !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzu3bxGOhDM

1. I suggest attaching the wrist strap to your ankle, not wrist ... it gets in the way and gets caught on the case and components. The wrist strap gets attached to the ModMat

2. The 2nd cable goes from the Modmat (I have the Extreme which I use more for grip and inked on info than static protection.to the case ... not a painted part. My fav space is the MoBo tray where if...
It can cause death ... not you but PC components.

If ya take of ya shoes and touch the PC case each time before ya pick up something, you will be just fine. If ya wanna erase all doubt and allow for "forgetting" ... the ModMat is the way to go

Damn ... why do peeps have to add music to videos ... IT'S UNWELCOME !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzu3bxGOhDM

1. I suggest attaching the wrist strap to your ankle, not wrist ... it gets in the way and gets caught on the case and components. The wrist strap gets attached to the ModMat

2. The 2nd cable goes from the Modmat (I have the Extreme which I use more for grip and inked on info than static protection.to the case ... not a painted part. My fav space is the MoBo tray where if case handles EATX, you will have some extra screw holes to the right of the MoBo ... screw in an extra brass MoBo standoff to one of the extra holes and attach the clip to there. Otherwise putting any unpainted screw of conductive metal into any screw hole.

3. Now you grounded to case. Install the PSU, leave switch on back of PSU off and plug into a wall outlet and you "green" :)

Solution