Spoon or Fork for Anti Static Safety?

elleezinho

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Can I attach the end of my ESD Anti Static Wrist Brand to a spoon or fork when builiding a pc? My case doesn't have a metal in it, and I dont want to use the power supply method.

Solution
Sure ... as long as you run a wire from the and of the work to ground. It's not about connecting it to metal, it's about being able to connect any charge that builds up in / on you to the GROUND. The way grounding works is the PSO is plugged on and that 3rd plug id the ground which runs thru a wore tpo the socket to a long copper road that is banged into the ground (aka dirt / soil) ... your fork won't have that

USAFRet

Illustrious

1. Your wrist strap, connected to a spoon, does nothing. What the wrist strap is meant to do is equalize the potential between you and the case and the ground.

2. What PC case do you have that has no metal?
Yes, I know there are lots...I'm just curious as to which one you have.

Sure ... as long as you run a wire from the and of the work to ground. It's not about connecting it to metal, it's about being able to connect any charge that builds up in / on you to the GROUND. The way grounding works is the PSO is plugged on and that 3rd plug id the ground which runs thru a wore tpo the socket to a long copper road that is banged into the ground (aka dirt / soil) ... your fork won't have that

Solution

elleezinho

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
When I see people building gaming pc on youtube, they dont really use the power method at all. I've seen this one guy made a building pc tutorial uncut, and he didn't use psu method or touch the psu method, but the guy uses an ESD anti static wrist band to his arm and it connected it to something else but the camera didnt show it up.
For example this one: https://youtu.be/tdg38SCd_n0
Go to 10:30 Minute, and You'll see what I'm talking about.

USAFRet

Illustrious

When you see people building a PC on youtube....most of them are idiots.
And you never ever see the entire thing.

Camera angles, multiple takes, post editing, etc, etc.

Doesn't matter.
Don't build it on carpet, don't drop things, go slow, don't slavishly follow utube dudes.