Anti-Virus for Laptop

UpgradeComp

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Obviously some sort of anti-virus needs to be put on a computer. Trend-Micro vs. Kaspersky vs. Webroot. Kaspersky is obviously number one, but I know Trend-Micro is good for social networking. Which do you guys recommend? Do the ones that just say internet security on the package only protect against that? Is that all I need?

Thanks

XiRw

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
I've been studying and doing experiments with anti virus software for a long time and I can assure you Kaspersky is not number 1. When I tested the 2013 version it had very poor detection rates but had decent real time protection. (It let a lot slip through) Also prepare yourself since the scans will take a long time but at leas they have an option to change 'scan only new files' It also has an annoying bug where it forgets that you are registered. I never tested it but I have read Webroot is overrated with poor results. Trend-Micro is good but I noticed it has a lot of false positives.

I have used Bitdefender 2013 on my main computer and was happy with it. My only complaint was that no matter what computer you have low to high end it will impact your boot time. Other than that I was actually impressed with Bitdefender. There is also a video online where someone tested BD, Kaspersky, and Norton. BD came out first, Kaspersky 2nd, and Norton 3rd.

On my main rig now I use ESET which IMO with my experiences is the best AV on the market. Was once used by Microsoft Corporation themselves. I am really impressed by its strong protection and detection rates. I am confused to why websites give it low scores compared to the others I've mentioned. Professional IT I know don't trust another suite compared to Nod32.

Anyways as long as your not visiting some dangerous really out there sites, than Kaspersky should be a fine choice.

XiRw

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

I've known about that site and others similar for awhile. It's hard to trust them or not because we will never know if an AV company might pay them to give them good ratings. Thats why I only trust hard evidence done by either myself or if somebody tests them on a youtube video

XiRw

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Yeah G Data is beast. Im trying the 2014 version actually on my laptop lol. I always liked Norton too despite what people say about it. In 2012 after my Kaspersky license ended I tried NIS and it found a ton of stuff KIS missed including a keylogger.