How unprotected am I at the moment?

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hello All,

At my work we have an old version of Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security installed. Whilst the maintenance agreement for this software expired in 2012 we have (legally) kept the Trend Micro Security Agent installed on workstations, as can be seen below.

11qrbkj.jpg

As can be seen above the virus updates continue to work, and as shown below there are a number of active components including 'Real-time Scan' and 'Web Reputation'.

fcs1zp.jpg

It even appears possible to manually set each client to perform a scheduled scan, as can be seen in the yellow highlighted section below -

xvkb9.jpg

All of this suggests to me that the only major feature which we are lacking is central management, and automated reporting on our workstations.

My question is "How exposed are we to viruses and other security threats"?

I have some experience (with a previous employer) using AVG Internet Security for Business, and this software package provided central management, and alerts of detected threats. At the moment I feel that I am 'flying in the dark', and I am wondering what I can do about it without 'breaking the bank'!

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Solution
with the it and the guy with the purse strings. the biggest issues with av now is having the newest engines. the core anti virus engine need to be updated because hackers can write virus that can fool older engines or compleatly wipe or damage the anti virus software in a drive by pop up or download. if the pc are online then any one of them is going to get a java or flash virus at some point (java and flash are written real bad). also if there using older ie then there at rick for drive by pop up installers. that why even the newer microsoft browsers is coming with pop up blockers built in.
the last point and i seen it happen...company a thinks there backups are clean. they have a fire or flood and try and restore the backup and find...
with the it and the guy with the purse strings. the biggest issues with av now is having the newest engines. the core anti virus engine need to be updated because hackers can write virus that can fool older engines or compleatly wipe or damage the anti virus software in a drive by pop up or download. if the pc are online then any one of them is going to get a java or flash virus at some point (java and flash are written real bad). also if there using older ie then there at rick for drive by pop up installers. that why even the newer microsoft browsers is coming with pop up blockers built in.
the last point and i seen it happen...company a thinks there backups are clean. they have a fire or flood and try and restore the backup and find them no good or that all of the backups are infected. the last point to bring up is lawsuit and fine costs. look at the fine microsoft hits compines that dont have licence for office or windows. last time i looked it was 25,000 per pc. when i used to work it was a no no to install any outside program without the it and manager ok. all it takes is a disgruntled employee to call a 800 hotline and then a few days or a week latter the it dept is running around making sure with guys from microsoft that your pc are licenece...

Solution

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Trend Micro has come a very long ways in the last 3 years. I actually use their stuff on my system and have for over a year now. Its now a single package that protects me in so many ways it is not funny. I do not need any other protection software. Trend Micro covers it all.

As a business, you should seriously have the latest and greatest when it comes to protecting your entire network. You have seen what other companies go through. And they thought they were protected too. Until it was too late.

I guess the simple fact that you are here asking this question means that you do not know much about security on a corporate network. Which most likely means you have a whole lot of holes in your security.