Question How To Hide The Fact I Am Using A VM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2020
Hey guys, I am going to be starting school soon, and they want us to put a monitoring application on our personal laptops/computers, instead of supplying us with school laptops. Well I am a privacy nut, and I shiver at the idea of giving someone what is essentially unfettered access to all the files on my computer. I know that they monitor what files are on your computer, what applications are either running in windowed mode or in the background, what peripherals are connected, and they can lock your screen to only view what they want you to view. (like a browser/webpage) They can detect VMs being run and will not let you attend class or do homework if they detect anything resembling a VM being ran.

I want to have a VM on my computer that just keeps this monitoring software completely separate from my main computer, so what can I do? I don't have the cash to drop on a new PC or laptop JUST for school, so I am trying to figure out all my options.

The research I did on the topic before coming here were suggestions like "-cpu host,-hypervisor", and that the monitoring software looks at the Manufacturer, Model, and VirtIO drivers to detect VMs being ran, but honestly it is all Greek to me. I greatly appreciate your help on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.