any laptop out there close to these specs? adjustable lcd screen height, no chromebooks

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
main use: chrome

minimal needs:

* 16gb ram
* ~25-50 ssd
* no gpu needed (but if it has, it has)

not a chromebook -- http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-chromebook/#who -- cos need desktop apps on occasional blue moons and likely within next 5y or so

---

optional, is helpful

* prefer an adjustable lcd screen, looking down at screen is bad ergo

hate trackpads, but can just disable

nothing else that matters or i can think of

that seems like the current progress with this so far

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
what's the best solution for this problem

also what's a common solution that most ppl do (aka: likely not best)

not having a adjustable screen is i guess usable but is just not worth it long-term

----

i think at this point im going to go with --

* building an itx

* with an undecided os since they're all really really bad with so many endless problems

* go with a smaller size lcd even though it'll be more expensive per size

* maybe i'll find some good solutions to transport a large lcd, not sure

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
well i guess a 16g ram laptop is doable...

only if someone is typing like all the time does the keyboard height matter

---

but there hasn't been any recommendations for laptops yet

i put that the height adjustable was optional

not a minimal requirement

A possible solution is to purchase a convertible 2-in-1 laptop and a monitor with adjustable height. While at home use the laptop with the screen laying flat on the table and connect the monitor to it. If you fold the screen around on a 2-in-1 laptop so that it looks like a large tablet, the keyboard will be disabled. If you need to use the laptop away from home, then simply disconnect the monitor.

An example of a convertible 2-in-1 laptop is the following 15.6" Lenovo Flex 5 which has a Core i5-7200u CPU and 1080p screen for $700. It can be upgraded to 16GB of RAM a link to video demonstrates how to do it below.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Windows-80XB0002US/dp/B06WVFQ4BG/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1502810198&sr=1-7&keywords=lenovo+flex+5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn9DhotWyt4

An alternative to a ITX build is an Intel NUC build.

An Intel NUC is basically a small barebones case that has a motherboard that uses a mobile Intel CPU. All you need to do is add RAM and a M.2 SSD; taller versions will also have a 2.5" bay for a HDD or SSD. The NUC can be mounted on the back of a monitor as long as the monitor is VESA compliant. Using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse basically means there the entire setup will only have 3 cables. One cable to power the monitor, one for the NUC and one to connect the NUC to the monitor. With the right cable management, this can be a very "clean" setup.

Below is an example of an Intel NUC.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2UMKZ5?th=1

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
doesnt the laptop and almost all laptop overheat, especally with 16g ram?

current laptop with 8g and 50% used of memory seems very slow at times

i cant think of anything else it could be but heat

the disk usgae is low

and randomly slow sometimes

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
all of these are viable options currently

without any new info, it's still very hard to decide which is best

---

for laptops, the other main problem with laptops in general is overly high resolution for the screen size = is bad

RAM does not generate heat especially when it only uses 1.2v of electricity. If you use a laptop or computer for a long time turn turn off and immediate touch the RAM sticks at worse it may feel warm. Heat is primarily generated by the CPU and GPU (if there is one). Overheating could be caused by a poorly designed laptop with insufficient cooling and / or airflow.

If you an ITX can fulfill your needs, then there is really no need for you to consider a laptop.

There could be a number of things that can make a laptop or desktop "feel" slow. That includes background processes running in the background or launching a program from a hard drive instead of a SSD. It could be the programs themselves. The CPU also down clocks itself when there is minimal usage which is a built in function of Intel CPUs known as SpeedStep. AMD's APUs and CPUs do the same thing and it is called PowerNow.

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
this is a regular laptop designed regular so all i know is

if external temp is 75+ especially when it's ~80

then laptop performance is massively affected

this means that heat negatively affects computer performance

---

'laptop or desktop "feel" slow'

no it's 100% the external heat which affects internal heat or w/e it affects

everythign else was equal, same numbers of tabs, etc.

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
'If you an ITX can fulfill your needs, then there is really no need for you to consider a laptop.'

why? what's the key reason?

i dont know yet, havent decided, laptop is signficantly smaller in size

laptops overheat tho, i want to know

by 'overheat' i mean it gets hot to a point where it becomes very noticeably slow

want to know why this is

computerbroken

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
please recommend the best detailed analysis/review of the best pre-built itx computer with at least 16g ram, 25-50+ ssd, no other key requirements, in 2017

a comparative review comparing to other best itx computer options would be best

--

or a detailed analysis/review of a laptop that has very very low heat, the analysis/review should say what temp the laptop is at regularly (heat negatively affects performance it seems)