Any news on updated wireless drivers ?

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001
216
0
18,830
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I've found it virtually impossible to find just the right wireless adapter for my TIVO. Is there any news on when they'll push out drivers to support 802.11.g wireless adapters, even at 'b' speeds ?

Thanks
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Don <don@adbbingo.homelinux.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>I've found it virtually impossible to find just the right wireless
>adapter for my TIVO. Is there any news on when they'll push out drivers
>to support 802.11.g wireless adapters, even at 'b' speeds ?

Yep - January 2005.

The 7.1/7.1a software apparently supports some 11g adapters, as
reported around the net. I don't recall models off hand, believe it
is Netgear. Google probably knows.

TiVo hasn't officially announced it though.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
--
<URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-755-4098
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Don" <don@adbbingo.homelinux.com> wrote in message
news:w26Qd.68648$eT5.62325@attbi_s51...
> I've found it virtually impossible to find just the right wireless adapter
> for my TIVO. Is there any news on when they'll push out drivers to
> support 802.11.g wireless adapters, even at 'b' speeds ?

7.1 or greater required

D-Link DWL-G120
Netgear WG111 version 2

The complete list is at:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2184.htm


X
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:25:32 GMT, Don <don@adbbingo.homelinux.com> wrote:

>I've found it virtually impossible to find just the right wireless adapter for my TIVO. Is there any news on when they'll push out drivers to support 802.11.g wireless adapters, even at 'b' speeds ?
>
>Thanks

Check out the "Ultimate Wireless" solution at the Tivocommunity forum.
This involves using a USB to ethernet adapter and then a wireless-G game
adapter - works great. I used to see transfer rates well in excess of
viewing rate but with the TTG update the rate has dropped to slightly below
viewing rate.

LB
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <q62c11tqhmsgjo7p42c97en74jl6qe3e4l@4ax.com>,
<lorendi@internet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:25:32 GMT, Don <don@adbbingo.homelinux.com> wrote:
>
> >I've found it virtually impossible to find just the right wireless adapter
> >for my TIVO. Is there any news on when they'll push out drivers to support
> >802.11.g wireless adapters, even at 'b' speeds ?
> >
> >Thanks
>
> Check out the "Ultimate Wireless" solution at the Tivocommunity forum.
> This involves using a USB to ethernet adapter and then a wireless-G game
> adapter - works great. I used to see transfer rates well in excess of
> viewing rate but with the TTG update the rate has dropped to slightly below
> viewing rate.

Except a wireless-G game adapter typically does not have WEP encryption,
leaving your network open to who ever drives by. What one needs is a
Wireless BRIDGE.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:37:18 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>In article <q62c11tqhmsgjo7p42c97en74jl6qe3e4l@4ax.com>,
> <lorendi@internet.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:25:32 GMT, Don <don@adbbingo.homelinux.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I've found it virtually impossible to find just the right wireless adapter
>> >for my TIVO. Is there any news on when they'll push out drivers to support
>> >802.11.g wireless adapters, even at 'b' speeds ?
>> >
>> >Thanks
>>
>> Check out the "Ultimate Wireless" solution at the Tivocommunity forum.
>> This involves using a USB to ethernet adapter and then a wireless-G game
>> adapter - works great. I used to see transfer rates well in excess of
>> viewing rate but with the TTG update the rate has dropped to slightly below
>> viewing rate.
>
>Except a wireless-G game adapter typically does not have WEP encryption,
>leaving your network open to who ever drives by. What one needs is a
>Wireless BRIDGE.

The Linksys WGA54G accommodates WEP 128-bit and is much easier to install
than a bridge.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <7pcd111mpj58bg1dnn3bg8nhdfnan3ttqj@4ax.com>,
lorendi@internet.com says...
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:37:18 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <q62c11tqhmsgjo7p42c97en74jl6qe3e4l@4ax.com>,
> > <lorendi@internet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:25:32 GMT, Don <don@adbbingo.homelinux.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> >I've found it virtually impossible to find just the right wireless adapter
> >> >for my TIVO. Is there any news on when they'll push out drivers to support
> >> >802.11.g wireless adapters, even at 'b' speeds ?
> >> >
> >> >Thanks
> >>
> >> Check out the "Ultimate Wireless" solution at the Tivocommunity forum.
> >> This involves using a USB to ethernet adapter and then a wireless-G game
> >> adapter - works great. I used to see transfer rates well in excess of
> >> viewing rate but with the TTG update the rate has dropped to slightly below
> >> viewing rate.
> >
> >Except a wireless-G game adapter typically does not have WEP encryption,
> >leaving your network open to who ever drives by. What one needs is a
> >Wireless BRIDGE.
>
> The Linksys WGA54G accommodates WEP 128-bit and is much easier to install
> than a bridge.

I really don't like WEP. It would be REAL nice if these adapters (the
drivers rather) supported WPA :(
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Streaming Video & TVs 2
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 5
L Streaming Video & TVs 3
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
D Streaming Video & TVs 1
jsmithepa Streaming Video & TVs 3
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
C Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 3
L Streaming Video & TVs 3
D Streaming Video & TVs 1
W Streaming Video & TVs 1
H Streaming Video & TVs 4
S Streaming Video & TVs 0
S Streaming Video & TVs 0
S Streaming Video & TVs 0
L Streaming Video & TVs 5
D Streaming Video & TVs 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS