Any one want to buy SME arm ?

suzieb0501

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hello,
iis there anyone out there needing to buy a sme model 3009, series 2 pick up arm - I have found one in the garage and am told they are a much sought after part?

G

There were thousands of these produced by a small British company -- and because they are so beautifully finished many have survived. They were imported into the USA by Shure whose cartridges worked well in the design.

They were considered very good at launch but by the late 1970's the fashion for more exotic moving coil cartridges meant they were sidelined because of an apparent lack of structural rigidity (use of gravity bearings included) which were deemed inappropriate for the amount of mechanical vibration produced by the low compliance of a moving coil.

Used with moving magnet catridges the SME is still sounds good. Look out for bearing surface wear and general perishing/tarnishing of the wiring and contacts after all this time.

Price obviously depends on condition -- I suspect an overhaul back at the factory would be expensive.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

G

"Did you subscribe to Audiophile by any chance? Or write for it?"

No but I wrote UK advertising for Harman Kardon, Leak, Rotel. Owned Garrard 401 then Thorens 125 with SME and Shure V15E before switching to arms like Grace, Hadcock and Mission with Ortofon and Audio Technica moving coils.

Still use the Thorens/Mission with ADC XLM. Plus a Technics SL1210 (the disco deck) with ADC VLM for ripping vinyl to CD. The Thorens sounds vastly better than the Technics.

kulcjoe

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011

possibly-what would you like for it?joe fron sask.canada ---kulcjoe@gmail.com