Solved! Any way to add remote functionality to non remote devices?

TarsonisX

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014
So, I have a Soundblaster ZXR, and made the mistake of buying a used set of Logitech Z906 speakers. I adore them, and they work great...WHEN they work. There is either a loose wire in the sub/amp or something wrong in the control console that causes constant resets and loss of signal. I'll be trying to replace the console via Ebay but beyond that... I wanted a decent set of 5.1's so I could enjoy my ZXR properly, but I'm ready to give up on that and settle for some Amazon Basics pc speakers. The drawback to THOSE is that one of my primary needs is something with a remote (I'm disabled and can't be constantly getting up to adjust volume etc. My pc serves as an entertainment system in my bedroom) I doubt there is a way, but short of jury rigging something of my own (which if I had the skills to do I would just open up the Logitech and fix the problem myself) can I add remote functionality to something not designed for it? Maybe by plugging them into some kind of in line controller?

TarsonisX

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014

I already use Splashtop on my phone. Works very well, but in order to have up to the second volume control during a movie/netflix etc. I have to maintain a constant connection which prevents me from using my phone for other tasks. A dedicated remote would be the most ideal solution if possible.

TarsonisX

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014

Smartphones do indeed multitask, but Splashtop is not perfect. If you switch to another app for more than a few seconds at a time then you have to back out of Splashtop and re establish the connection.