Solved! Any way to fix a laptop keyboard that got beer splashed in it?

May 13, 2019
So, the following keys are problematic. I can obviously just backspace to fix any words, except that this is a pain in the rear. I've created this list of keys in Notepad to show which keys are affected. Should I consider the keyboard a loss and just get an external USB keyboard or is there something that might fix this? I've already uninstalled the drivers and Windows reinstalled them, so no luck there.

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

h

i

j

k

l

m

n

ou

p

q

r

s

t

ou

v

w

x

y

z

8 (opens the help menu for whatever app i have open)

`

/

-

+

=/

'

[

]

-

=/

(Pressing shift + / for a question mark gets me +?)

Thanks!

Solution
Next time, just leave them in one line, no need to make such a 'long' post. ;)

NOTE: If you need to type in a password to even get into Windows to do the following, make sure you attached an external keyboard first, to get past the password. Then try the following... just make sure you disconnect the external keyboard while the system is reloading.

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
  2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
  3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.
If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting/reconnecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

Additionally, if your device uses one, you may...
Next time, just leave them in one line, no need to make such a 'long' post. ;)

NOTE: If you need to type in a password to even get into Windows to do the following, make sure you attached an external keyboard first, to get past the password. Then try the following... just make sure you disconnect the external keyboard while the system is reloading.

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
  2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
  3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.
If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting/reconnecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

Additionally, if your device uses one, you may want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

You may also want to check the device for malware, viruses, etc., which can interfere with normal operation.

Solution
You could use the Onscreen Keyboard which you'll find under the Ease of Access in the all programmes list.

For future readers of this thread, If this ever happens to you with any spilt liquid, keep some uncooked rice in the house and cover the affected device with it. That absorbs liquid far more efficiently than paper.