Anyone with experience with the E-Fun Nextbook 10.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all.

I'm looking into a laptop replacement as my old Dell scratch and dent finally fried it's motherboard (after seven years) and I'm looking at the Nextbook 10.1 as a replacement.

Please understand that I already have a desktop for any seriously intensive applications (games/vide encoding) and an HTPC for all media needs. This laptop/tablet would be *strictly* for online finances and *maybe* as an e-book reader replacement (I also have a first gen Kindle).

My only real concern is the installed 1GB of RAM. I have not been able to find anything that states it's upgradeable. I think I'd really prefer a minimum of 2GB, but if anyone has any experience with this device, your input would be greatly appreciated.

-Wolf sends

heatlesssun

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
I got one of these this past Saturday for the money it's amazing. There's a lot of misconceptions about Windows 8.1 with 1 GB. For the activities that you're describing it will be fine. This this runs WAY better than previous generation Atom netbooks, even when those old devices had 2 GB of RAM. There a lot of RAM swapping when running say a half dozen apps or so there'll sometimes a little lag before an application will become active, but nothing frustrating.

For $180 I think it's one of the one the best buys out there for a cheap device that's extremely flexible. I don't think you can go wrong here for something that's going to pull light duty but have the ability to actually do some real work if necessary.

jd625

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014
I second heatlesssun. The *2* I ordered just arrived yesterday. Immediate impressions are solid feel and adequate performance. It depends on what you expect it to do. My original frontrunner was the asus transformer T100TA that orlbuckeye linked to. The T100TA was ~360 (not refurb). I have enjoyed my original Android transformer for 3 years and would have gladly done another Asus. However, these tablets aren't for my primary use. They are for the kids that will need light computing, browsing, etc... (school work). The 1GB gave me pause, but I still plan to install Office 2013 Student as I am not a fan of 365. I have monitored the memory use on my primary PC and even the 1GB will be adequate for Office. I am not expecting the ability to have 5 apps, 10 docs, 40+ browser tabs, and so on all at once. Nor am I expecting the device to run developer tools or apps like Gimp/Photoshop.

In summary, I got 2 Nextbooks for the price of 1 ASUS Transformer. I might even pick up a third to toy around with the Win 10 Beta. As a comparison to your Dell laptop replacement, these are replacing the (happily chugging along) Dell 2400 desktop that is 12+ years old! I have no doubt it will outperform that! :) But, no, I don't expect it to perform as my primary development PC.

Badfinger1

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
I bought this one from Walmart last week, just out of curiosity coupled with apprehensions if this would be a cheap toy windows 8.1 device. I knew I would just be returning this to Walmart after a week's toying around. But no, I was soooo wrong, very very wrong in my apprehensions! The moment I turned it on and set it up, I realized that this is no toy....this is a seriously good performing Windows 8.1 real computer for daily use. Don't get me wrong, I have a real desktop high-end Intel Core 8GB pc, 2 high-powered laptops, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Android tablet, Nexus 7 2013 tablet, and of course the trend-setting Acer C720 Chromebook. This Nextbook 10.1 Windows 8.1 combo is going to be a real addition, not a whimsical "toy" at all. I was totally amazed at how zippy and crisp it works, better than the Acer C720 Chromebook, and way way better than my high-end Android tablets when it comes to internet browsing on Chrome browser, Office applications, Skype, YM chats, etc.

For daily use, this will be me real computer henceforth, if I just wanna stay away from my desktop Windows 7 pc. I am very happily amazed with this 179-buck notebook pc. Not returning this one, it's a keeper...and will shove my other laptops to the closet.

satisfied

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
I just bought the Nextbook 10.1" Tablet yesterday. It build and performance are very good. It appears to be a solid machine and the keyboard seems very sturdy. The 1 gig memory concerned me until I got the machine up and running. So far, it runs smoothly and speedily and will meet my needs for portability, checking email, browsing the internet, and running a few programs. Of course it is not as powerful as a well equipped desktop or laptop but it is a bargain at $179. Incidentally, the Nextbook allows you to print wirelessly if your printers are on a Wi-Fi network. That is an unanticipated bonus.

ctbrown

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014

How clunky is the proprietary non-USB charger? I want something that I can travel with and prefer packing as light a possible for Business trips. Currently I use a single 2-port USB charger for both my phone and Dell Venue Pro Windows tablet when traveling.

satisfied

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
I just bought the Nextbook 101 Tablet yesterday. It build and performance are very good. It appears to be a solid machine and the keyboard seems very sturdy. The 1 gig memory concerned me until I got the machine up and running. So far, it runs smoothly and speedily and will meet my needs for portability, checking email, browsing the internet, and running a few programs. Of course it is not as powerful as a well equipped desktop or laptop but it is a bargain at $179. Incidentally, the Nextbook allows you to print wirelessly if your printers are on a Wi-Fi network. That is an unanticipated bonus.

PerryK

Estimable
Dec 23, 2014
I recently purchased the hybrid computer because Rick Broida of CNET mentioned and recommended it as a good buy. He also referred to the 4-stars rating on Walmart's website.

Like someone already mentioned, I thought that if I don't like it, I will return it. That ain't happening! Sometimes, I don't feel like carrying the heavy laptop bag around, but this thing is much lighter than a laptop!

1 MB of RAM? It hasn't slowed me down, though I have yet to install Microsoft Office (which I may not because I have access to Office 365 and I am in a WiFi zone most of the time). I try to use Metro-based apps mostly, and that is what I think it is excellent for.

So, to answer your question (and you add that you already have a desktop for heavy-duty work), this would be a nice thing to have. In fact, I have gotten rid of my Android tablets and am going to carry the Nextbook around. Doesn't work great with Google's stuff but my Android phone does! And, I have noticed that Outlook.com's interface is far superior to Google's and it syncs contact pictures with Facebook very well.

That is my 2 cents worth!

koolham

Estimable
Dec 23, 2014
This device is seriously a diamond in the rough! I too was aprehensive in what Windows 8.1 could do with only 1 GB of RAM but I put it through some initial tests and I'm blow away! I was able to download Steam to play Half Life 2 and Counter Strike Source, and I am able to get a consistent ~40fps with settings on high! Absolutely blew me away. How is that possible with just software rendering on a quad core atom processor? I don't think there's a GPU in there anywhere? But anyway, the metro UI runs smooth on this tablet and I am able to do all my normal Windows desktop functions as well. So easy to remote into my work laptop from home on this thing. I am going to need to get the extra 32gig of expandable microSD storage given those two games I mentioned are already taking up 10+Gigs of my SSD space, but expanding is cheap. And as for the build quality: this feels like a premium device! Has a lenovo / thinkpad feel to it, almost feels like aluminum on the outside. Anyway, don't hesitate to grab this device, because once the word is out these things are going to fly off the shelves!

Michael Lonewolf

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
What everyone seems to forget is, you get a full fledge version of Windows 8.1 on the cheap. Retail cost for the Windows 8.1 version is $250.00! So therefore you have Windows for 72% of retail cost. That is a positive, but lets go look at the negatives, (MANY) 1st is efun's tech support. These guys know NOTHING about the device they are supporting. 2nd I had to trouble shoot for them while on the telephone with them. "Tech Support: You cannot connect another Windows 8 device on the Nextbook". Incorrect, you only need to use a RFI mini to standard USB cable, not only will you be able to sync it with your other Windows (All versions) computers, you can use it as a hard drive too. Next according to support you cannot get your Windows 8.1 key. Again nonsense, the Windows key is available as with any Windows install. As well as getting the actual install DVD(s). "Tech Support": You cannot watch DVD movies on the Next Book. Incorrect again, If you use a micro USB mass storage device copy the movie over to the mass storage device, or EASIER way connect a USB (RFI) cable to an external DVD drive, the movie runs flawlessly.in conclusion this is an amazing little device, just steer away from their tech support! And if you are like me, NO matter how small the device, I prefer the old Windows Start Menu, so I installed Start 8 onto this device, and it works great. You can even touch the start button, and all the applications within Windows 8.1. As for charging on the go, I use the same RFI mini to standard cable, and connect it to my car's USB port, and it charges the Next Book no problem. For the included charger, it is good in hotel/motel/conference rooms for charging.

italianman2112

Estimable
Jan 2, 2015
I tried one of these out at Walmart and they run great. IMPORTANT ! if the desk top is to tiny to see, go to control panel, then appearance and personalization, then display, then check the box that says "let me choose one level scaling for all my displays, now right above that will display "custom sizing options" click that, and a window will open. There you can choose a different size. 150% or 200% are the ones to choose on the next book 10.1. Restart and everything will be bigger and perfect !!! you can uncheck the one level scaling to get back if you need.

Also something that is not seen is it has its own power plug. no charging via micro usb !!!!!! that means you can charge while this is hooked up to your tv screen while using a wireless keyboard with trac pad ! HDMI to tv, micro usb for keyboard. You can go wireless to the tv thanks to miracast built into windows !!! And they now have a wireless dongle that works on your tv.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/wireless-display-adapter

Just youtube some reviews on this device !! Here is the keyboard you can use, and now you have a tablet, laptop, home media center all in one :) Good Luck

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-k400-wireless-keyboard-black/3764993.p?id=1218431571141

Jonathan Gonzales

Estimable
Jan 4, 2015

Believe it or not it currently has two slot total one which is currently being used by the 1gb and i plan to upgrade the other slot later if the ddr3L ram becomes available. The ssd installed is also from a 2.5 30gb that can be upgraded to a 500 or 1tb ssd depending on how much you want to spend. the only issue I see currently is the ssd has to be from intel because the design configuration when screwing it In. In case your wondering how they managed to get the harddrive to fit they removed the case and only installed the circuit board which is quite small. If any of you dont believe me and currently you have a nextbook take a look at the back of your box it came in and look at the ram and harddrive pictures and then take a look at solid state drives dissembled on Google images ttygl

elmo7172

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

elmo7172

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
Hi, the charger is a AC adopter and is not big at all, the plug part is maybe 2" x 3" x 2". Don't imagine the 4-5" retangular typical laptop charger. I see that someone mentioned that you can charge it using micro USB cable, I'll try to see if that works. Once you charge it the battery lasts for a very long time (maybe 6hrs or more). IT'S AN AWESOME COMPUTER!

N7AS

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I will be getting the Nextbook 10.1" for my birthday. All I know is that my wife ordered something electronic from Walmart and I have to pick it up in a day or so. I am not suposed to know what it is, but as I have been looking at youtube videos and reviews about it, I know what's up.
Well, here is some details I would like to know...

I have been reading this thread and Jonathan Gonzales stated that it is upgradable. I wonder how hard it is to open up. I think DDR3L memory is available. How much RAM can be stuffed in? Is the SSD an mSATA as they are smaller, or is it acutally a 2.5" SATA. I wonder if a 2.5" SATA SSD will fit? I just upgraded my desktop to the Samsung SSD 850 PRO using the Samsung Migration software and a USB to SATA adapter cable. Being that the Nextbook has a Micro USB, will a Micro USB OTA cable work to connect to the USB to SATA cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.