Avengers Blu-Ray + PowerDVD9 = BSOD

This is really just a place holder until I can get this figured out. If it turns out to be more than a Windows issue, I'll update here. This is what I know so far:

I have a home theater PC that has been running smoothly since it's last major upgrade. That upgrade was the inclusion of LG Blu-Ray Drive back in September 2011. This system is normally on 24/7. It has not run into any significant issues since it was built. This is STRICTLY a media PC. The only "browsing" done on this system is to windows update and AMD for new drivers. Everything and anything else is downloaded (and scanned for viruses) from another PC and then transferred via USB stick to this PC.

The home theater system components include:

Case: NMediaPC 200BA
Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling MK-III Silencer 500Watt
Motherboard: ASRock 760GM-GS3
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2-250
RAM: G.Skill NS 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 250GB Hard Disk Drive
ODD: LG Black 12x BD-ROM Drive
Graphics: Sapphire HD4670 PCI-Ex16
TV Tuner: Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E
BR Software: PowerDVD 9 (included with ODD).
Extraneous: AutoHotKey - Used to swap audio outputs between HDTV and Home Theater Receiver

Last usage of major functions:
TV - 9/25/2012
Blu-Ray - 9/22/2012 (Netflix - "Your Highness" Blu-Ray)

So I stopped by the local Wally-World to purchase the Blu-Ray 2-Disc Combo Pack of Marvel's The Avengers. When I returned home and inserted the Blu-Ray disc into my drive, I was promptly given the typical Windows "Stopped Working" notification for PowerDVD 9. The options were: 1) Check online for a solution and 2) Close the program. I opted to check online for a solution; thinking that it would find an update from PowerDVD's web site. Apparently, it did not find one and upon the subsequent reboot, I started receiving "Windows Explorer has stopped working" error messages. Attempts at resolving this issue have been fruitless.

My initial response was to run Windows Update and make sure everything was up to snuff. However, each time I tried to run this, I was greeted with the same Windows Explorer has stopped working message. One suggestion for the Windows Explorer issue was to make sure the graphic card drivers were up to date. Upon attempting to download and install the newest drivers (07/2012 for the HD 4xxx series), I receive the error message AMD Catalyst Control Center has stopped working.

Assuming, at this point, I had somehow contracted a virus (even though I do not surf on this system), I attempted to run http://housecall.trendmicro.com/. About 70% of the way through the scan, the system BSOD'ed again.

At this point, I'm looking at a full re-install of Windows 7 and PowerDVD, along with AutoHotKey. This thread is only for anyone who may happen to run across the same issues I'm running into. I'll update once the HTPC is formatted, re-installed, and back up an running.

-Wolf sends

cvpsmith

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
I have the exact same problem with PowerDVD 9 and this Bluray. I've never had a problem with PowerDVD9 and Blurays before; only this disk. There is an issue, I believe with this particular BD disc and PowerDVD. It gets to 79% loading, then crashes.

The stupid part of this is, I got the software with my BD drive, and I have yet to see a single software update.

My drive is also from LG. Apparently, they have chosen poorly in their partnership with a software suite company (we're looking at you, PowerDVD!)...

Well, fortunately, I managed to get it working again without a full reformat/re-install. Boot your system into safe mode with networking and run through Windows Update as well as updating PowerDVD9.

I'm surprised that you haven't seen any updates to PowerDVD. In the year or so that I've had it (it also came with my Blu-Ray Drive), I've seen several updates required.

-Wolf sends

cvpsmith

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

There aren't any updates available for PowerDVD 9. Only an upgrade option. What version of PowerDVD do you have?

Funny thing is, my LG Bluray drive is only about 6-7 months old, yet PowerDVD no long supports it. They only offer an upgrade to PowerDVD 12 (for $45!). From what I'm seeing, their support is CRAP! These hardware OEMs really need to get away from Cyberlink, IMO. I'm thinking of going with TotalMedia Theatre 5 at this point. It seems like a very good suite. No way I'm giving Cyberlink any of my money...

Just confirmed. I'm running PowerDVD 9. Every once in awhile, when I insert a newish Blu-Ray, I'll get a message which states the PowerDVD needs to be updated in order to play this disc. I allow the program to update and the disc runs fine after.

Did you register the software when you installed it?

-Wolf sends

cvpsmith

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

No, but I just registered it now. Still no updates. I'm posting to Cyberlink's online tech support now. I'll let you know how it goes...

cvpsmith

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

I have build 9.0.4322.52. What's your build number?

BTW, thanks for the help and feedback. Much appreciated...