Anyway to change refresh rate in Lenovo Y50?

Seemly

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
I got the laptop yesterday, and I noticed that the mouse movements and almost everything weren't that smooth. I randomly went to screen resolution and advanced settings and found out my refresh rate is only 48hz, how can I change that? if it matters i have the UHD version but I use 1080p.

Solution
It has optimus so he has to do it in intel. It should be under display. There's no point in reading about the warning of ocing the monitor when he's not really ocing. Do you understand that it's a 4k monitor and he's trying to run at 1080p/60? There's no harm in that and also because the display itself can run 4k/60 if you google the display info but is limited by the driver to 4k/48. You can't install the driver that let's it run at its native 60.

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Right click the desktop and select Screen Resolution.
In the lower left corner click Advanced Settings.
Click the Show All Modes button.

Every resolution along with every refresh rate that Windows thinks the screen can support is listed there. Select the one you want, and then click OK, Apply, OK and OK. You should now be using that new setting.

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
You might want to write a letter to Lenovo and let them know we happen to use 60Hz power in the USA.... Just kidding.

I think you need to ask Lenovo about this though. I am not even going to try to understand why they would ship something that only does 48Hz to the US. It must have had something to do with saving money though.

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I doubt that there is a custom profile for a laptop panel. But there might be. I just have not seen anything like that at all.

I know very little about Egypt. But I do remember someone saying you guys had the same power setup that Europe has, and I know the EU is on 240w@50Hz power. So none of that makes any sense to me. Maybe China uses 48Hz.

Or maybe, some panel maker made 48Hz panels, and sold them for cheap. And now you have one.

k1114

Distinguished
Anyone can make a custom profile. In intel control panel, go to custom res. You can set all the settings you want including hz but no guarantee it'll work. You can also use cru.

Stop mentioning the power grid as it's irrelevant. Nobody in the entire world uses 48hz. Lcds do not function the same as crts and can be set at any hz you want. It's 48hz because it's a custom limit vs using 30hz limit that the intel igpu supports. But there's a new driver that now supports 60hz but lenovo hasn't updated and still has it at their custom 48hz. It should have only been applied when running 4k but he's running at 1080p so whatever they did set a hard limit on all res.

Seemly

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015

I can't really seem to find a thing called "Custom resolution" anywhere in the control panel, I used to find it in the old one back on my old laptop here is picture:
http://gyazo.com/f1b97f7c4e86db1955809392b6441b52

Also can you tell me the name of the driver? would it solve the issue If I installed it?

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Its not in the control panel. It is in the Nvidia Control Panel. Right click on the desktop, and you should see it on that popup menu. In the Nvidia Control Panel, select Change Resolution, and then just below the box with the various resolutions listed, there is a box that is labeled as Customize. You should be able to figure it out from there. Be careful though. You can make it difficult, if not impossible to boot.

k1114

Distinguished
It has optimus so he has to do it in intel. It should be under display. There's no point in reading about the warning of ocing the monitor when he's not really ocing. Do you understand that it's a 4k monitor and he's trying to run at 1080p/60? There's no harm in that and also because the display itself can run 4k/60 if you google the display info but is limited by the driver to 4k/48. You can't install the driver that let's it run at its native 60.

Solution

Seemly

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015

It shows me this
http://gyazo.com/ed735e30a9ec5a1e554416a84e6790bb

but when I click on refresh rate to choose higher, there is only 48, and in advanced settings it says that this display does not support advanced settings