Apacer Reveals "World's Fastest" microSDXC Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Even after micro SD came out years ago, I am still amazed by the tiny size and the capacity they carry. Toss in some fairly impressive data transfer rates, and that makes it even better.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Even with this out, idiots will still believe that spinning disks are a viable means of storing data...... They should sell movies on something like this instead of the idiotic blue ray devices.

I remember the old cartridge. It was far more durable than anything designed in the disk drive era. A floppy would break... a cartridge though was just about unbreakable in normal use. The SD reminds me of that.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]i want! with a card or two like these, i could carry a huge amount of storage with me all the time. or may be run a linux os off it.[/citation]

With 64 GB you could run any OS you wanted off of it.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Well, that 30 MB/s is about as fast as a 6x BluRay, while holding well more than twice as much data. But it's going to cost a lot more to manufacture than a disc, which is the catch. Great for situations that require rewritable storage (like in a phone, or camera), but I don't want to pay another $10 (likely much more than that) per movie to get them on these cards.

Still, daaaaaaaang. Size of a fingernail and holds 10x more data than my entire desktop computer ten years ago.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Empty BD disk to manufacturer 50 cent...
Empty 64 Gb microSD card $219.99

I wonder why we still use BD disc...

Ok. In normal shop empty 50 GB blue ray disc cost less that 10 dollars so it is 20 times cheaper than microSD card and I think that manufacturing is even cheaper. So we are is optical media some time to come.
In the future... maybe but it will take many years... maybe 10, because BD are allso becoming cheaper.
It is like SSD vs HD. SSD may be superior, but too expensive so far for larger storager.

G

SanDisk is already selling microSDXC and microSDHC cards compliant with the UHS-1 standard. I just bought a 16 GB card at Costco a few days ago. They claim up to 30 MB/s+. On my Nexus One, I was getting 19+ MB/s read / 13+ MB/s write.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
"In addition to satisfying the requirements of smartphones, tablet PCs, HD games and audio-visual media, it can also substantially enhance the transmission speed of small files and applications."

ROFL, @ 30Mb's I don't think so....

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
So this means I will be able to get a smart phone with 128gb and 256 gb of internal space like "NOW" and not in 5 years? with a Micro SD slot for removeable 64gb/128gb storage as well right?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]why comparing micro SD? they are much more expensive due to the tiny size. Compare it to compact flash or full size SD. Also you would have to compare it to rewritable BD.[/citation]
He was refuting a comment from someone who said that movies should be launched in memory cards. A 64GB standard SD card is still more expensive than a BD to the manufacturer. Also what would be the interest of the studios launching movies in a rewritable media?

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]He was refuting a comment from someone who said that movies should be launched in memory cards. A 64GB standard SD card is still more expensive than a BD to the manufacturer. Also what would be the interest of the studios launching movies in a rewritable media?[/citation]

Letalone the "bulky" size of BD's make it harder for thieves to just pocket the merch. And yes there are people in the world that steal movies from stores, I know it's hard for even me to believe.

G

@mscheele

to be able to fully harness the full potential of a UHS-1 (and now 2) card you would need a device that has the hardware to handle the speed, currently there are only a handful of devices that will support UHS speeds, the nexus one is not one of these devices, plonking a USB 3.0 device into a USB 2.0 port aint going get you USB 3.0 speeds

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]He was refuting a comment from someone who said that movies should be launched in memory cards. A 64GB standard SD card is still more expensive than a BD to the manufacturer. Also what would be the interest of the studios launching movies in a rewritable media?[/citation]

You don't need no 50 gigs for a dam movie...nor do you need a micro card or rewriteable capabilities. I can see a full sized SD card sans rewrite ability with just enough memory to hold a hi def movie for a whole lot less.

as for the theft risk comment...nonsense. They sell memory cards in stores already and they got the theft issue figured out just fine.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Um if you want back up a BluRay disk without compression you need 50GB. I just added another 4TB to my media server to keep up with my BluRay collection archiving.[/citation]

ummm, HD DVDs were limited to a MAX of 30 gigs yet they had no problem holding a hi def movie. I would surmise from this that an average 1 hour 50 minute hi def movie only requires around 20 gigs.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]PortDependant[/nom]@mscheele to be able to fully harness the full potential of a UHS-1 (and now 2) card you would need a device that has the hardware to handle the speed, currently there are only a handful of devices that will support UHS speeds, the nexus one is not one of these devices, plonking a USB 3.0 device into a USB 2.0 port aint going get you USB 3.0 speeds[/citation]

Haha funny you should say that. In terms of USB flash drives, no USB flash drive is 'high speed' 10Mb/s is a max. With a USB 3 flash drive you get the full speed of USB 2.0. So yes you can get a benefit from the card. (This is from personal experience, testing flash drives for the office). Will it be worth buying if you dont have a compatible device, probably not, but the card itself can handle as much as the connection can throw at it.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]You don't need no 50 gigs for a dam movie...nor do you need a micro card or rewriteable capabilities. I can see a full sized SD card sans rewrite ability with just enough memory to hold a hi def movie for a whole lot less.as for the theft risk comment...nonsense. They sell memory cards in stores already and they got the theft issue figured out just fine.[/citation]
Even if you used a 32GB memory card it would still be cheaper for the studios to use BD. Also having a read only memory card would not decrease it's manufacturing costs enough to make a difference, so it's irrelevant.

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Look at the bright side the price will eventually come down.
And how many of those can you physicall fit on the surface of a disk?
I think that the density factor is pretty cool when mated with a decent data rate and you don't need a machine the size of a breifcase to use it.
Not to mention disk spinup time and whether or not the machine is going to decide to read the disk because of a little tiny scratch that got in the wrong place on the surface of the disk. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS