Apacer Reveals "World's Fastest" microSDXC Card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Must be a kid roaming the articles marking them thumbs down cause they have a flip phone with 512kb of memory on it?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]You don't need no 50 gigs for a dam movie...nor do you need a micro card or rewriteable capabilities. I can see a full sized SD card sans rewrite ability with just enough memory to hold a hi def movie for a whole lot less.as for the theft risk comment...nonsense. They sell memory cards in stores already and they got the theft issue figured out just fine.[/citation]

you are disregarding good blurays that need 50gb discs due to all the extra content. [citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]ummm, HD DVDs were limited to a MAX of 30 gigs yet they had no problem holding a hi def movie. I would surmise from this that an average 1 hour 50 minute hi def movie only requires around 20 gigs.[/citation]

depends on the compression too. you can easily shave off 10 or so gb and not many people would notice. hd dvd did that, and it also did include special features on some movies, bluray won because of the ps3, and because 50gb means you have alot of headroom.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]you are disregarding good blurays that need 50gb discs due to all the extra content. depends on the compression too. you can easily shave off 10 or so gb and not many people would notice. hd dvd did that, and it also did include special features on some movies, bluray won because of the ps3, and because 50gb means you have alot of headroom.[/citation]
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]you are disregarding good blurays that need 50gb discs due to all the extra content. depends on the compression too. you can easily shave off 10 or so gb and not many people would notice. hd dvd did that, and it also did include special features on some movies, bluray won because of the ps3, and because 50gb means you have alot of headroom.[/citation

As much as I don't like Sony, you can buy a Sony Blu Ray burner that supports the new platform ( 4 layers) @ 200gb per disc. I believe a google search for the model number of the drive showed it available on newegg for about $200. Not too sure about the price of the disc's but I won't be buying them unless 200gb discs are less than $2 a disc.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom][citation][nom]alidan[/nom]you are disregarding good blurays that need 50gb discs due to all the extra content. depends on the compression too. you can easily shave off 10 or so gb and not many people would notice. hd dvd did that, and it also did include special features on some movies, bluray won because of the ps3, and because 50gb means you have alot of headroom.[/citationAs much as I don't like Sony, you can buy a Sony Blu Ray burner that supports the new platform ( 4 layers) @ 200gb per disc. I believe a google search for the model number of the drive showed it available on newegg for about $200. Not too sure about the price of the disc's but I won't be buying them unless 200gb discs are less than $2 a disc.[/citation]

you will most likely never get a 200gb disc for under 10$ but you could probably at some point get 8 25gb discs for 2$

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I will never understand the attraction to optic media. I have hated CD-Rs since day one. I was the last person I knew to finally give up zip and jazz drives...and then I switched to USB thumb drives and skipped CD-Rs entirely. My current preferred method is micro SD cards in a USB adapter on a lanyard. Sure, the CD-Rs had more capacity than the first zip drive, and cheaper, but so what! They were so dam fragile I didn't want anything to do with them. If I needed something with long term mega storage capacity I used a tape drive.

Nowdays its SD cards and USB powered external hard drives.

If optic media is all destroyed tomorrow it won't be soon enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.