Status
Not open for further replies.

mazida2012

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Awesome.
g.gif

G

How about making something like an Aiport Express (that outputs to a real amp) but that appears to Windows as just a speaker output, so that you can use any application to send audio to anywhere in your house?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
for much less money, you can but a decent 2.1 logitech speaker system, and a $200 android tablet, and have a rather nice network audio and video device for under $300

PS android also allows network audio playback initiated by a pc via wifi, or bluetooth

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
They might be good speakers, but $500 for a DLNA-compliant 2.0 device? That's way too steep, IMHO...

[citation][nom]CryoEngineer[/nom]How about making something like an Aiport Express (that outputs to a real amp) but that appears to Windows as just a speaker output, so that you can use any application to send audio to anywhere in your house?[/citation]
That's probably a Windows driver stack limitation, Windows was never developed with that in mind, though you can have that with Linux almost out of the box, if memory serves me right - Linux has had network sound redirecting capabilities to other Linux boxes for years, you just need the right software.

However, you can probably have that now if USBoE (USB over Ethernet) for Windows has made progresses, since that way you can share a USB sound controller over the network.

USBoE, if memory serves me right, started as a Linux project that has a Windows client, so you can conceivably have a bunch of tiny Linux-based machines with USB sound controllers attached acting as Windows sound devices. Not sure if ARM is a target of the USBoE drivers, but with a bit of fiddling I guess you could actually have minute self-contained network plugs for speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.