Apple, Amazon and B&N to Capture 87% of Tablet Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
That is perfectly rational. What is happening? Because most people are sooooooooooo ignorant about technology ( something The Church of iCrap thrives on), they have no clue that those organizations have nothing special to offer beyond the platform that an android phone provides. In fact an Android phone is far more cost effective and liberating than anything any of those companies offers. So yes, this article only points at the general cluelessness of the run of society.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]That is perfectly rational. What is happening? Because most people are sooooooooooo ignorant about technology ( something The Church of iCrap thrives on), they have no clue that those organizations have nothing special to offer beyond the platform that an android phone provides. In fact an Android phone is far more cost effective and liberating than anything any of those companies offers. So yes, this article only points at the general cluelessness of the run of society.[/citation]

Give it a break bro... Seriously. You ever tried reading a book on your phone? Not that fun, let me tell you. The market response has proven that a Tablet, if done right would sell well. In my line of work I also have a boat load of large documents in PDF format. This provides a way to store all that data, quickly search for the stuff that I need and bring it up in places where a laptop would be a pain in the ass.

G

Why are the numbers always so unreal. Apple has 73% of the tablet market, BUT Android has 49% to iOS's 29% of the OS market share? It must not be Android smartphones boosting that number because only iPhones sell in every report on smartphones I see. Must be all those Android toys and games giving Android a 20% excess number..??

Our BestBuy can't tell me when they'll have Acer or Asus or Samsung tablets in stock to sell, again. There's plenty of iPads, though...

Could somebody lie to us because Apple product placements are SO important for revenue?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]larryw4csc[/nom]Why are the numbers always so unreal. Apple has 73% of the tablet market, BUT Android has 49% to iOS's 29% of the OS market share? It must not be Android smartphones boosting that number because only iPhones sell in every report on smartphones I see. Must be all those Android toys and games giving Android a 20% excess number..??Our BestBuy can't tell me when they'll have Acer or Asus or Samsung tablets in stock to sell, again. There's plenty of iPads, though...Could somebody lie to us because Apple product placements are SO important for revenue?[/citation]

Actually, IOS passed Android again. There was a article recently about it. Also, allot of the tablet vendors pulled out of the market because they where getting virtually no traction at all. IPad is dominating this particular market.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]larryw4csc[/nom]Why are the numbers always so unreal. Apple has 73% of the tablet market, BUT Android has 49% to iOS's 29% of the OS market share? It must not be Android smartphones boosting that number because only iPhones sell in every report on smartphones I see. Must be all those Android toys and games giving Android a 20% excess number..??Our BestBuy can't tell me when they'll have Acer or Asus or Samsung tablets in stock to sell, again. There's plenty of iPads, though...Could somebody lie to us because Apple product placements are SO important for revenue?[/citation]

Here is the article. Not sure where you where getting the 49% - 29% figure. Android and IOS where pretty close. IOS regaining the lead was bound to happen once the phone was on the more than AT&T.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/25/apple-google-microsoft-idUSL5E8CO4QP20120125

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Seriously. You ever tried reading a book on your phone?

Actually, I have both an Android tablet, and a Kindle that was given to my second half as a birthday present. I routinely prefer to read in my Samsung Galaxy S2 for the simple reason that I can make the text quite large and it is very comfortable to carry or be on the thread mill with, but I tend to read books that don't have too many pictures. For reading magazines, I would imagine that your criticism is valid.

Many people out there, in fact probably most, think that in order to read a Kindle book they need a Kindle or an iPad, which is a laughable belief. That is the general level of ignorance going around. I have tried to convince many who plan to buy Kindles to just buy a non proprietary tablet and more often than not they say that they want the Kindle and hide behind some totally weird justification... Of course they could buy a Kindle and root it, but that I would not suggest to such people. And it is true that the 2x cored Kindle Fire at $200 US is a well priced device, and is not a ripoff from Amazon, Unlike the iPad.

Kreth

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Here is the article. Not sure where you where getting the 49% - 29% figure. Android and IOS where pretty close. IOS regaining the lead was bound to happen once the phone was on the more than AT&T.http://www.reuters.com/article/201 [...] QP20120125[/citation]
ah but thats only counting usa where the church of jobs is almost a real religion, if you count with the rest of the world the numbers arent closte to that

Kreth

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
[citation][nom]Kreth[/nom]ah but thats only counting usa where the church of jobs is almost a real religion, if you count with the rest of the world the numbers arent closte to that[/citation]
and truthfully many of us europeans stopped caring, what the states does anymore, for me it seems like you guys live in some sort of bizarro world

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Actually, IOS passed Android again. There was a article recently about it. Also, allot of the tablet vendors pulled out of the market because they where getting virtually no traction at all. IPad is dominating this particular market.[/citation]
Actually it was (so typical for iWorld) bullshit.
iOS allegedly surpassed Android IN SALES IN Q4 and only in US I guess. Even in Q4 Samsung alone sold as many smartphones as apple (about 35-37 million).

iPhones MARKET SHARE (not to mistake for a single quarters SALES) is about 18% worldwide, 25% in US. You can't drastically change that number during one quarter.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]That is perfectly rational. What is happening?[/citation]
What's happening is that we have yet another "Hyphnosteve" style "reality distortion" article.

iPad market share:
2010 - 84%
2011 - 69%
2012 - 63% (forecast)
2015 - 47% (forecast)

There is no sign of Apple's market share of tablets NOT shrinking. It's Apple that is losing tablet market share. "non ipad tablet sales will decline 51%" is pure lunacy.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007

The numbers are entirely consistent.

Apple clearly dominates the tablet market at the moment. The smartphone market, clearly, is also far larger numerically. You say it must not be Android smartphone sales boosting that number, but it is. While iPhone outsells every other phone (indeed I think 3 models of iPhone were in the top 5 of last quarter) - Android isn't just one manufacturer, or one type of phone - it's dozens and dozens. While they all individually fail in comparison to the iPhone, if you add them all up they currently have a larger market share. The larger market share Android has is clearly divided amongst several companies who each have a relatively small piece of the pie.

As for your Bestbuy store anecdote, most iPad users don't buy from there - and BestBuy maybe didn't anticipate much demand for the Acer / Asus or Samsung tablets - since they sell nowhere near as well.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
First of all Apple was the first marketting a tablet, so while it will lose total share it will gain higher sales, other getting into this market late will eventually hit a platto since they don't have what Apple had, Jobs, Jobs thought of iPad's future and might have put in place a method of keeping above the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.