Apple Announces Apple TV, Three New iPods Designs, Social Network in iTunes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Things that were useful:
*new ipod touch (which will be jailbroken to unlock more camera features)
*new shuffle (really going back to the better older gens)
*new price for apple tv

Things that were not useful:
*new nano (will likely be a dysfunctional overpriced shuffle)
*appleTV continues with crappy subscription model (99c a TV episode? I'll stick to my DVR/hulu through TV combo, thanks.)
*nerfing camera feats of ipod touch (PS how is it gonna do facetime without text plan??)
*itunes10 (does the world REALLY need another social network??)

G

Actually on the iTouch website it states BOTH cameras can take still images

ray-ng

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I don't own an MP3 player or any iPod at all. But this new iPod nano that is square shaped has me wanting one...

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Yay, so now, the top of the line apple music player has less storage than my 5-year-old toshiba gigabeat.... nice one, definite progress there Steve....

The future seems to be to pay twice the price for half the storage as products from 5 years ago - nice one - he's really got you all suckered in, while all other technology gets cheaper, better and smaller, apple stuff gets more expensive, less useful and larger...

duanes1967

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Steve Jobs may be a jerk, but he is one of the few people that can be justified. He sure knows how to get people to spend money!

kilthas_th

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
AppleTV + some form of Apple cloud-based storage could be really good. Then again, the execution could be really bad if MobileMe's growing pains are any indication...

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I'm sure there is going to be a lot of hate comments on here. I myself do not really like apple products, with the exception of their ipod touch.

If you like casual and fun games, with the occasional major title, an ipod touch is an awesome handheld gaming system. It's not for shooters though. Touchscreen and only get you so far, but despite what people say there are a TON of fun games to play as long as you know how to sift through the crap games.

If I didn't already have an ipod touch, I would definitely be going for the new suped-up ipod touch 32GB.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
itunes 10... i bet it still isn't a threaded application, and why would you get an Ipod in the first place... there are much better options IMO.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm just happy to see that Toms has condensed this into one article. I was on Engadget earlier today and saw the first 19 (out of 20) article. on their homepage were Apple articles. Booo Engadget.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
The shuffle: meh, doesn't get any more generic but it always has been generic. but a non display based mp3 player will always be fail when you have to guess where that 500th song is.

the nano: WTFomg. this thing goes from so many changes, adding cameras, shrinking, enlarging, shrinking, now shrunk even more that its now missing a clickwheel (bye bye ipod games) now a tossup to a shuffle, but at least you can read the playlist

ipod touch: for those who can't afford the iphone, nor want At&T, but meh, it plays movies nice.

Apple TV: FINALLY!! i've been using my xbox as a htpc for so long and this iTV looks like it can replace it. So long MediaCenter PC, the AppleTV has all your features at a decent price.. its not a tivo, or a DVR, but for someone who has cut the cable and gone exclusive internet TV, this seems to be a winner.

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
aw come on they ruined the Nano... the only reason I still to this day use my nano at times over my touch is cuz of its ease of use (don't have to pull it out of my pocket to skip song/alter volume).. but i guess now that advantage is gone as well.

jgv115

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Anyone know if the new version of the 8gb ipod touch will be the same as a 3rd gen? Will it have the new screen, Apple A4 2 cameras etc?

They did this with the new 3rd gen 8gb. It was exactly the same as the 2nd gen.

screechy

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Jobs: how can we make more money? Ah ha we could cut some features raise the price and say it's better.
*robot voice* I am a genius. * more robot noises *

mben

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Silly Job, the top of the line Touch iPod still is 64GB. Several manufactures have large capacity. I have a very large music collection and just getting the CD's on an iPod using ACC, require the 160GB HD model and I haven't even made a dent on the vinyl records.

I wonder if iTunes 10 works better with Windows. I bet not. The manta at Microsoft used to be “DOS isn’t done till Lotus won’t run.” I wonder if the manta at Apple is ‘No software is ready till it barely runs on anything except Apple.’

Status
Not open for further replies.