Apple Announces Apple TV, Three New iPods Designs, Social Network in iTunes

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The new iPod Touch is great. It's essentially an iPhone without the 3G radio (and terrible cellular service) and exponentially better battery life. If I was in the market for a media player I would be all over the new iPod Touch. The Nano, however, is pretty crappy in my opinion. What in the world do I need a multi-touch 1" display for?

I like the Apple TV and I like the price but I've no use for it. All three of my consoles can do the Netflix thing.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]requiemsallure[/nom]itunes 10... i bet it still isn't a threaded application, and why would you get an Ipod in the first place... there are much better options IMO.[/citation]
Better options like what?

Can any of them plug into the docks in my cars and be controlled through my vehicles stereo system? How many manufacturers have any sort of ability to do this besides the iPod? Ever see an option to buy a "insert music player here" dock that gives you this functionality?

Face it, Apple haters - the portable music world revolves around iPod.

G

@ericburnby

you do realize most modern cars that have a decent audio deck has a usb port on them which can interface with most mainstream mp3 players, oh i guess you didn't know that.....

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]USBportMe[/nom]@ericburnbyyou do realize most modern cars that have a decent audio deck has a usb port on them which can interface with most mainstream mp3 players, oh i guess you didn't know that.....[/citation]
Interface and what - let you browse the files? Big deal, I can plug a USB thumb drive in and get the same thing. How about native support so that the way you operate your iPod (or other player) is duplicated by the factory system?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Good for Tom's to not spam everyone with an entire page of Apple news in separate links.

As for the products...meh. Same old stuff. iTunes continues to be bloated anyway.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Some good stuff, some bad stuff so lets see if we can break it down.

- Mainly good.
Thinner iTouch, smaller Apple TV - reduction in size is always good as it eggs on the industry to do the same, advancing the art of the possible.
iTunes 10 interface - album art instead of the same album name droning down the screen, looks a lot nicer.

- Mainly bad.
Apple TV - being objective it doesn't matter if it is cast down the internet or if it's a cable TV service like HBO, you have a set-top box and can watch TV shows or films. Charging model should be the same with a flat monthly fee and as many TV shows as you want unless it is premium stuff like sporting events or brand new TV shows, but if I want to watch re-runs of Star Trek that are syndicated on free to air TV station then that 99c is ridiculous.
New Nano shape - Again fudging with the shape so anyone who has a pouch, holder, accessories has to buy them again to fit. Joggers with the neoprene armband will be livid. It honestly did not need to shrink, a more natural progression would have been to follow other Apple products and make it a mini-iTouch, same form-factor but touch screen. Yes, they did the screen already, but fudging the form-factor was just nasty, expect next years revision to put the form-factor back to what it was with a touch screen just to force everyone to buy the accessories yet again for a 4th time.
Social networking - Why, just why. Expect Jobs to tear into Facebook the same way he was with Adobe over Flash and lots of bitter feeling all round.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
one thing about Apple is they keep changing, for better or worse.
other companies have to keep up with it; Apple is like a moving
target. Apple is hoping maybe one of these new products will hit
the jackpot again.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Printing support. For people with wifi printers.
What about the millions and millions of people who dont have wifi printers?
How about just a network printer that is connected to my home wifi network, is that the same thing?
Honestly, this is ridiculous. Either give it full printer support or not at all, but dont tease us with partial support for the >1% of people who have a wifi printer.

G

Cant see them using iTV as a name, here in UK we have ITV network already!

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]So..you can use Netflix which let's you stream unlimited movies for $9.00 a month on any Netflix streaming device including a PS3 and XboX360.. Or you can be an apple fanboy and pay $5.00 a movie just to say you have an iTV.[/citation]

This is an netflix streaming device you moron. I bet you didn't even read the article before you started talking ****. $5 is for a new release. I have Netflix and their streaming library is a joke. Their idea of a new release in streaming is Jaws 2, Die Hard(the 1st one), Independence Day, etc..

"most people that like apple products, are fanboys, but i see a lot of haters in this site"

Why people can recognize a good product for what it is and it can do, and not for who made the freaking product. I bet if Dell came out with something like the itv with the same $99 price tag people will say that isn't that bad, but because it was apple who made it then is crap and a piece of ****...... so I ask who is the real fanboy here?

**Post edited by moderator** Cool it on the language.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]pito[/nom]This is an netflix streaming device you moron. I bet you didn't even read the article before you started talking ****. $5 is for a new release. I have Netflix and their streaming library is a joke. Their idea of a new release in streaming is Jaws 2, Die Hard(the 1st one), Independence Day, etc.."most people that like apple products, are fanboys, but i see a lot of haters in this site"Why people can recognize a good product for what it is and it can do, and not for who made the freaking product. I bet if Dell came out with something like the itv with the same $99 price tag people will say that isn't that bad, but because it was apple who made it then is crap and a piece of ****...... so I ask who is the real fanboy here?[/citation]

NOT because it was made by Apple but because Apple Almighty wants full control and access to whatever you want to do with the device that they sold to you. You don't "OWN" and Apple Product. You merely rent it.

G

@ericburnby

lol, so remind me what kind of functionality that your iPod dock gives you over the standard audio deck? seek, skip track, random play, repeat, your seriously telling me there's a car with an audio deck that replicates the click wheel..... allows you to browse your songs.... wait isn't that like browse files

you really are clueless, with the advent of MTP any device can interface with an MP3 song database and read of ID3 tags amongst other things, even playlist, the car's audio deck interfaces with the MTP via the USB, it's a damn sight better then having each manufacturer coming up with their own propriety port, and strangely enough skip track, seek, random play, repeat all works too, so remind me again how the iPod with it's propriety port tops that?

Ch33ky

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Apple thinks that
people will buy anything they
put out and they WILL
love it no matter what
even if there are better products out there.

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
For some reason, not even the fact that I generally dislike Steve Jobs and Apple products, but NONE of these seem all that impressive to me.. the iPad nano is horribly small to use touchscreen, I would find it frustrating and will be subject to many "fatfingering" even if you don't have big fingers...

And what is up with Ping? LOL, seriously going to try to compete with Facebook when we have to be on iTunes to use it? No thank you. I'm sure the closed off community of mindless iFollowers will boast about how great it is until they release that the rest of the common sense world is not on it and are then unable to add any friends. Better luck next time, maybe you can get your girlfriend from iCupid to add you..

Status
Not open for further replies.