Apple Announces Press Conference for iPhone 4

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Steve Jobs: "We at Apple would like to inform the general public that any negative information regarding the iPhone 4 is completely untrue, and that you idiots are going to buy the device, even if it is proven to give you colon cancer with 1 week of purchase. Thank you."[/citation]

It only gives you colon cancer if you are holding it in the Jobsian approved fashion.

Avenger762

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Steve will show everyone the "Proper" way to hold an iPhone. If you fail to hold it properly, your warranty will be voided and your iPhone "Status" will be revoked. At least until next month when an iPhone 5 comes out with an even shinier antenna for you to buy and get your Apple "Status" back.

walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I imagine that it will be free bumpers for everyone. A product recall only makes sense if there's a modification that can resolve the issue... and I'm not sure what Apple could come up with that would be more cost-effective than simply distributing the bumpers.

I'm not sure that a mea culpa and free bumpers at this point will do much to rehabilitate their brand. The central issue isn't the defect, rather it's Apple's response that damns them: Jobs' infamous email to a customer, the leaked talking points to customer service reps on how to convince users that there wasn't a problem, etc.

Now the yahoos who stood in line for 15 hours to get an iPhone 4 last month and then insist that there isn't a problem aren't the problem for Apple--they'll continue to buy whatever shiny object Crapple dangles in front of them. Rather, the issue is whether or not the other 90% of prospective smartphone users will easily forget this debacle or whether they'll choose an Android phone from HTC or Motorola.

G

I love how all the Apple haters come crawling out of the woodworks... I've never purchased an Apple product until the iPod and iPhone came out. The iPod is now legendary and the iPhone is hands down the best damn phone out there. Whether or not you are an Apple fan is irrelevant because they do make great products. I don't always agree with them and I'd rather have a PC over a Mac anyday, but do all companies mess up? of course they do. Haters love to bash, whether it's Microsoft (for how many years now?) or now Apple (because of their success) or Google in the future... How's the battery life on all those HTC droids? haha everything sucks, right?

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Even if they do a recall... how are they going to repair the signal problem? we all know it is because the hand makes a connection between the two antennas... so the only thing they can do is to isolate them with a coating of some sort, preferably transparent, to keep the design.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Jokes apart, lol, with the new more accurate calculation system on iOS4.1 at least Apple will spread the word to minimize user complains about general decreased signal. But beside this and as manny people I expect free bumpers for everybody. A total recall will be to extreme, but at least Apple will need to give your money back. I think.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]teknic111[/nom]I hope I'll get a free bumper out if this.[/citation]
Heh, Apple and free? Yeah.
Cold day in hell me thinks.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
All I got to say is if the "master of disaster" tells you how to bail out of something you should listen.

He pulled a crazy hat trick keeping Clinton on the throne back in the day.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
That's Jobs teaching folks to hold it properly; his solutions are soon going to be published as an ebook for iPhone users and they are going to charge 5$ for that.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
I think giving users free bumpers would not be a satisfactory fix.

The whole selling point for the IPhone as they portray it is it's sleek, slender size. If to use it, you have to stick on a rubber bumper, that surely takes away the appeal?

I guess for people who planned on putting a bumper on anyway, it would be OK, but it wouldn't help the bad press Apple is getting over this. They would be 'covering up' a problem by making the phone look less impressive.

The only way they can come out of this looking good is if they have done both of the following:

1 - Corrected the issue for all future production
2 - Have some way to issue a retro fit, either by a recall or by the option to have the issue 'fixed' in an Apple store.

If they don't do both of the above they will come out looking very poor in all of this. If they DO do it, it will probably reinforce the fan-boys views that Apple can do no wrong.

Either way, I think it's pretty poor that Apple have denied the issue and/or lied about it being a software issue for so long, so in my eyes their reputation is already dented.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
In the picture, Steve is showing how you really should hold iPhone 4 for the best reception. The problem with the phone so far, is just a user handling issue. Steve have sent out leaflets to each and every customer, which will show the parctice of holding a phone right.

Status
Not open for further replies.