Apple Approves, Removes C64 Emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
It's to protect them. I agree with "applications are not allowed to install or launch other executable code "by any means"

ryanegeiger

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Seriously though... basic? How harmful could it be? It's self contained within the app and doesn't allow code to leave the app environment or access network connections.

plattyaj

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
That's too funny - they are worried about running Commodore 64 version of Basic?! Games for the C64 were never written in Basic anyway, they were coded in assembler (often hand-coded in hex too!!).

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Commodore BASIC is like an "Application inside and Application".
Even using "Peek" and "Poke" commands, you will stay in the app environment, like others have said.
I suppose someone will think Atari 2600 Basic is also a threat.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Actually, games WHERE programmed in Basic too. Not awesome games of course... but games yes. Its a C=64 emulator. BASIC is pretty much part of the OS.

G

what exactly to they expect someone to do with BASIC in a self contained piece of software that doesnt have access to anything outside of the app itself.

are they worries someone is going to pirate apple software by re-writing allready released games line for line in BASIC?

apple need to quit pulling stuff with these stupid excuses.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
ffs... when people will finally realize that Apple is another Microsoft... except they are not the current Microsoft... they are the Microsoft from 10 years ago... stupid, stubborn and exploiting you!
Morons - stop buying apple products - maybe they will get the point eventually..

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Apple sucks Sh*T

C64 BASIC wont hurt sales in any way. Its basic! It allows people to be creative on the devices. Its emulated, i don't see how it could be a security risk.

Anyways, its just about time someone should sue Apple, as far as I am concerned I bought a $700 PC in my hands, and I should be allowed to do what I want... I had no idea when I bought the iphone that Apple would f**k me over so much.

Apple can go Shove their one button mouse up their arse.

No wonder why people jailbreak their iphones.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]ShqTth[/nom]Apple sucks Sh*TC64 BASIC wont hurt sales in any way. Its basic! It allows people to be creative on the devices. Its emulated, i don't see how it could be a security risk.Anyways, its just about time someone should sue Apple, as far as I am concerned I bought a $700 PC in my hands, and I should be allowed to do what I want... I had no idea when I bought the iphone that Apple would f**k me over so much.Apple can go Shove their one button mouse up their arse.No wonder why people jailbreak their iphones.[/citation]
Yeap, stop bitching, and jailbreak it.
Simple enough. =D

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
If Apple sheep keep going along with crap like this, pretty soon you will all be wearing Apple approved clothing, driving Apple approved cars to Apple approved jobs where you work in an Apple approved building. You are giving your life to Apple. Ok so I am being overly dramatic...but the point is valid nonetheless.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I still like MULE. I play it with my brothers occasionally. Like someone else said, I can't imagine BASIC doing any harm.[/citation]
Oh man, that takes me back! I loved MULE! The C64 was such a cool computer for its day. It's too bad that Apple is so threatened by a C64 emulator just because of the BASIC programming language/command interpreter.

Speak of the C64, I remember the big controversy of that time was the practice of cutting a notch on the left side of a 5.25" disk to allow use of the back side for storage. :)

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Actually, games WHERE programmed in Basic too. Not awesome games of course... but games yes. Its a C=64 emulator. BASIC is pretty much part of the OS.[/citation]

Telengard was B.A.S.I.C

Status
Not open for further replies.