Apple Banning iPhone Hackers From Store

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Hackers who do illegal things like unlocking an iPhone so they can use it with another carrier or jailbreaking it so they can run unauthorized applications should be permanently banned from accessing the Apple app store. If only Apple had a way to remotely brick their phones too. If you have USA cell phone service there is no reason you need to be using an iPhone with anyone other than AT&T. If you don't like this policy you need to get a new phone (like an Android or Windows Mobile phone) that your new carrier sells. Just because you paid money for a phone doesn't give you the right to install whatever software you want on it.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
LMAO @ techguy. Must be an apple rep.

This is the main reason people hate apple, and a valid one. You want it to be compatible you got to make it compatible, and usually at the cost of violating something.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]I really doubt it. A lot of people cannot afford to purchase Apple products, and then there are those who just refuse to because they do not like Apple. I would bet that most of those who dog Apple are like Brendano257 says and "really don't know anything about Apple." Kind of like why a lot of men do not like Hillary Clinton...ask them why and they say "I don't know, I just don't like her." Ahh, the open-mindedness of mental midgets.[/citation]

First off, you yourself fall into your explanation you just gave, as to why you would love Apple. You remind me when playing L4D or L4D2, of the 10yrs old that join and just talks non-stop telling me to do this and that, when I know exactly what I am doing...then ofcourse I vote kick you. First rule: "If your balls haven't dropped, don't use a mic and play WOW, FPS (especially L4Ds), RTS games.

Secondly, most people "Can" afford Apple products. People like us (especially me), don't want to waste thougsands of dollars on mediocre and then also have Apple force us to buy and use only thier services. Thats why most people don't like Apple.

Thirdly, I'll agree with you on Hillary Clinton. "Most" men don't like Hilary. Why? She's a liberal left wing nut - thats the answer. But on the other side of the spectrum, "Most" men who say they don't like Sarah Palin is lying to you. If you are a guy (who likes women)and don't know who Sarah Palin is and just met her on a street/bar/mall/lounge you'd be saying she's hot. Wait....did someone just yell "MILF"?

And this time, I'll leave the politics alone...for now.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]LMAO @ techguy. Must be an apple rep. This is the main reason people hate apple, and a valid one. You want it to be compatible you got to make it compatible, and usually at the cost of violating something.[/citation]
Ever heard of licensing agreements? Apple can legally tell you what software you can and cannot run on your iPhone. If you run unauthorized software on your iPhone, Apple can sue you and they would probably win. Apple can also legally brick your jailbroken or unlocked iPhone by any means necessary as long as this is in the license agreement (it very likely is). This includes remotely disabling your iPhone, assuming Apple has that capability.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]First off, you yourself fall into your explanation you just gave, as to why you would love Apple. You remind me when playing L4D or L4D2, of the 10yrs old that join and just talks non-stop telling me to do this and that, when I know exactly what I am doing...then ofcourse I vote kick you. First rule: "If your balls haven't dropped, don't use a mic and play WOW, FPS (especially L4Ds), RTS games. Secondly, most people "Can" afford Apple products. People like us (especially me), don't want to waste thougsands of dollars on mediocre and then also have Apple force us to buy and use only thier services. Thats why most people don't like Apple. Thirdly, I'll agree with you on Hillary Clinton. "Most" men don't like Hilary. Why? She's a liberal left wing nut - thats the answer. But on the other side of the spectrum, "Most" men who say they don't like Sarah Palin is lying to you. If you are a guy (who likes women)and don't know who Sarah Palin is and just met her on a street/bar/mall/lounge you'd be saying she's hot. Wait....did someone just yell "MILF"? And this time, I'll leave the politics alone...for now.[/citation]

First of all, only about 2 sentences in there really relate to anything in this article, and second of all, if you don't like it, don't but it. End of story, if you don't like Apple you don't need to bring your flaming ignorance around on the forums. Like I've said before, I could care less for either company, I can't say I'm really happy with either Apple of Microsoft, but the incessant flaming needs to stop.

Honestly if you must express your biased and unfounded views, join the millions of people doing it and start your own blog, then we don't have to listen to it, and you'll at least feel like someones listening.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Ever heard of licensing agreements? Apple can legally tell you what software you can and cannot run on your iPhone. If you run unauthorized software on your iPhone, Apple can sue you and they would probably win. Apple can also legally brick your jailbroken or unlocked iPhone by any means necessary as long as this is in the license agreement (it very likely is). This includes remotely disabling your iPhone, assuming Apple has that capability.[/citation]
If any of my hardware were bricked remotely, I'd then proceed to throw that brick at whomever made that poor decision.
When I buy something, I own it. Simply put.
What's next, would you condone EA bricking my $2,500+ gaming rig because I ripped a game or two? How about bricking my toaster because I used local fresh cooked instead of Wonderbread or the such?
Some of us believe in freedom of choice, and simply telling us 'no' will not stop us.
Macintosh is a close minded company, and thus other companies get my money instead.

Honestly though, I'm surprised Macintosh isn't simply just suing the hell out of these two instead. They could do more to stop the jailbreaking scene, but I guess it's in their favor to keep it partially alive, due to increased direct sales of Apple products.

G

Just because I paid money for something gives me the right to do whatever I please to thing thing!

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
"Apple Almighty" at its finest once again. They say you can't use the product you bought in the way that you, the owner, wish to. You can only use the product that you bought in the way that Apple Almighty says you must use it....... and all the Apple sheep go "Baaaaa.."

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]First of all, only about 2 sentences in there really relate to anything in this article, and second of all, if you don't like it, don't but it. End of story, if you don't like Apple you don't need to bring your flaming ignorance around on the forums. Like I've said before, I could care less for either company, I can't say I'm really happy with either Apple of Microsoft, but the incessant flaming needs to stop.Honestly if you must express your biased and unfounded views, join the millions of people doing it and start your own blog, then we don't have to listen to it, and you'll at least feel like someones listening.[/citation]
Um....yeah. You said it best about urself too. Next!

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]First of all, only about 2 sentences in there really relate to anything in this article, and second of all, if you don't like it, don't but it. End of story, if you don't like Apple you don't need to bring your flaming ignorance around on the forums. Like I've said before, I could care less for either company, I can't say I'm really happy with either Apple of Microsoft, but the incessant flaming needs to stop.Honestly if you must express your biased and unfounded views, join the millions of people doing it and start your own blog, then we don't have to listen to it, and you'll at least feel like someones listening.[/citation]

Stupid no "Edit" button.

I count...two paragraphs relating to the topic. Therefore your assessment of two sentences is rather off. Also when Hilary Clinton and Apple are together in the same sentence, that just sends signal for some major bashing.

Lastly, who are you to tell me to stop my biased flaming? This is a blog. Blogs are filled with polar opinions and views, even if its biased ones that you hate. In a perfect world, my friend, we would be sipping tea and talking about quantum computing.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I jail broke my ipod touch. I did it because apple wanted to charge me 15 to 20 bucks for new firmware. I sold it shortly there after and now wont buy another apple product. I shouldnt have to pay for them to unlock my bluetooth capabilities that the phone shipped with. The hardware was there, I paid for it, why should I have to pay 15 bucks for them to turn it on. I now use a blackberry storm. I am just as acurate with it as I was on my touch. I miss wifi, but guess what I will have flash here shortly.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
And yet I seem to remember Steve Wozniak jailbreaking a certain celebrity's iPhone for her on a certain reality show. Quite obviously the two Steves have very different ideological views, and I know which Steve I prefer.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]Most people that dislike Apple have reasons. Yet most people that like Apple products can only regurgitate false marketing lies like "It just works".[/citation]

Ah, but are they rational reasons? Your statement is not true, you are merely responding to the advertising campaign of Apple, which at the sub-conscious level seems to have hit a chord!

giancast

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I agree with Hilarion, I bought the product so it is mine. Nowhere in there it says that you are leasing it, and that even though you paid $xx (subsidized by ATT for the 2yr crappy service)plus the overpriced ATT service (I do not use ATT) they still own it. If they want to brick my iphone then I would expect my money back, they can have "their" device back. I do not load pirated applications, I actually buy them from the Cydia store. As an example the Cydia store had Snapture way before you could find it in the Apple store. The Cydia had it for $8 when it went to the Apple store it went up to $10 or $15 I do not remember. So is the product better now that it is in the Apple store or is it just greed from somebody?

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]@ hakestermanApple bans pirates, therefore you won't buy their products?? As the article said, MS does the same thing, explain how apple is any different[/citation]

In my opinion, Apple was known (And still is among their followers) for not being an ass hole. And now they are being one and have been for a while. It's sort of like a politician saying they are Catholic but then they get caught cheating on their wife. We know now that Apple is just like any corporation. I haven't purchased an Apple product since the Apple II and I don't think I ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies.