Apple Blames Users for Exploding iPhones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I'm sorry, but for all those people bashing the iPhone and Apple....After the last reported incident, a local French newspaper who had a look at the phone said the same thing. They said it looked more like something impacted it from the outside, I don't know about you, but I trust a newspaper AND Apple with like reports over a consumer who probably wasn't happy about their iPhone. Honestly, angry consumers will do stupid things. And half the time it's probably consumer ignorance, something wayyy too common now a days anyway.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The European Union is probably set for cash thanks to the MS lawsuits. I predict they start bringing them to Apple in 2 years when they're strapped for cash again.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I find it hard to believe that they are exploding.

I believe that these cases are one of two things.

Buyers remorse
or
Idiots looking to cash in.

I hope Apple gives them nothing.

This way they will not have money to buy a zune hd. And they will have to look at the ipod that they smashed as a reminder of how dumb they are.

tomtom_32

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
it's so typical, if the designs had no faults and the devices didn't explode, then why did apple tried to silence the costumers with a refund?
if it was costumer's fault then apple should never have payed them, but trying to shut them up shows who's to blame here.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
From my experience when things go wrong with technology it is usually the users fault. There is the occasional hardware failure, but a majority of the computers brought to our help desk are computers with virus' or overheated because they left their laptop on their bed while watching a movie or writing a paper. These iphones exploding are in the single digits, that's nothing in comparison to how many iphones have been purchased. And I highly doubt they are "exploding", people exaggerate. People also like to hate on apple. I agree with apple saying the problem originated with the user.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]homice[/nom] Apple needs to do something serious to turn around all this negative press they've been getting this past year (lower prices maybe???)...[/citation]

Yeah, Apple needs to make the pocket fire kit cheaper so that more people end up burned. Good fucking strategy. I think Apple should think about getting into the hand grenade market.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tomtom_32[/nom]it's so typical, if the designs had no faults and the devices didn't explode, then why did apple tried to silence the costumers with a refund?if it was costumer's fault then apple should never have payed them, but trying to shut them up shows who's to blame here.[/citation]

PR. Apple doesn't want someone running to the news stations and the papers saying their iPhone exploded next to their face and Apple is refusing to give them a new one. Apple, and most companies, would rather eat the cost of the iPhone than have someone running around claiming their iPhone blew up. Apple doesn't want people worried that a device they hold next to their face is at risk of exploding.

oldscotch

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
For those wondering what could explode with an iPhone, a plausible scenario is the battery overheating, seals breaking down and lithium getting in contact with oxygen.
Things get all splodey in rapid succession after that.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I think it is more likely to be either operator error or just the occasional defect that slips through. Not anything to be overly concerned with.

harlequin6791

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom] Jokes aside, I can't imagine that tiny battery inside the iPhone could erupt with enough force to launch the phone 10+ feet into the air or shatter the glass. The glass is glued to the device it would take quite a bit of force to cause it to shatter into projectiles.[/citation]

Actually depending how tightly packed the components are inside the iphone and the air tight qualities, it would take very little to make it rupture. This analogy has been used in many other cases, if you take a firecracker and lay it on your hand and ignite it. Ya sure it's going to hurt but with little damage since the energy is allowed to disperse. However if you take the same firecracker and make a fist and ignite it. It's going to do some SERIOUS damage. Or even better if you take that same firecracker and seal it in a plastic casing and ignite.. it will rupture the casing as the energy looks for an exit. Think of a battery/capacitor or multiple bateries/capacitors with an extreme failure as the firecrackers. It is a possibility.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
These are consumer electronic devices and portable ones, shouldn't they at least be tested for common abuse? Not necessarily to survive it, but at least not to suffer critical and possibly dangerous failure? Not to do that is completely irresponsible. It would be like selling propane-powered cars that have a 1 in 3 chances of exploding on a frontal collision and then telling it's not your fault because a collision is clearly an abuse not covered by the warranty...

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Then again, if someone is dumb-enough to put his device in a microwave, "baseball-pitch" it on a concrete wall or put a nail through it ... that is another story.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
^ you also can't compare an iphone to a car as the iphone is substantially less dangerous to use. also this is definitely not a 1 in 3 failure rate. We're are talking less than 10 out of the millions of iphones sold.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
External Force?

Explosion is cause by internal force!!!

Warning: Touching your iPod touch too hard may cause it to explode and take off the offending fingers.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]griffed88[/nom]^ you also can't compare an iphone to a car as the iphone is substantially less dangerous to use. also this is definitely not a 1 in 3 failure rate. We're are talking less than 10 out of the millions of iphones sold.[/citation]I tend to exagerate to make a point. An iPhone explosion is also probably much less dangerous than a propane tank explosion ;)

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
I completely believe Apple in this case. Let me tell you how little faith I have in the general populace. The majority can barely tie their shoes. I'm certain these guys used the phone under a chair leg to "stop it from wobbling" at which point it cracked and started over heating. Then they were very disappointed in the product...(but really, people will do anything for cash).

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Oh, come on, if it would be users' fault, apple wouldnt give full refund to stay quiet, it's got to be iphone's fault, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.