Apple Blames Users for Exploding iPhones

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tracyfearson

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
One should remember what the users who reported the "exploding" i-phones have said.

I will para-phrase:

"Using phone and heard a loud buzzing coming from it and it was hot to the touch. Tossed it and it exploded."

Can an electronic device emit a loud buzzing sound? Yes.

Can an electronic device over heat causing a burn and/or you to toss it? Yes.

If you toss a piece of glass and it lands the wrong way, will it "explode"? Yes, that is how it would look to many people.

So, I do not think it is time to say Apple does not have a problem or that the consumers did not have an issue. Just perhaps not an issue as "dramatic" as they reported.

Time will tell.

tracyfearson

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
One should remember what the users who reported the "exploding" i-phones have said.

I will para-phrase:

"Using phone and heard a loud buzzing coming from it and it was hot to the touch. Tossed it and it exploded."

Can an electronic device emit a loud buzzing sound? Yes.

Can an electronic device over heat causing a burn and/or you to toss it? Yes.

If you toss a piece of glass and it lands the wrong way, will it "explode"? Yes, that is how it would look to many people.

So, I do not think it is time to say Apple does not have a problem or that the consumers did not have an issue. Just perhaps not an issue as "dramatic" as they reported.

Time will tell.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
"Do you think all these iPhones exploding is because of a design fault?" Boy, that is not a loaded question. Tom's should check their sources before throwing out such BS, unless flaming is the intent.

The French said that "iPhone screens had shattered in a dangerous manner during use." Nothing was said about explosions occuring, etc. It seems that the "exploding" part may be another one of those disinformation tactics used by the media.

The problem here is of the consumer trying to take advantage of big industry. Too many people file frivolous law suits, make false claims, all in an effort to hide their stupidity.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
i only hope the next and serious explosion of the device happens to one of the upper level execs at apples kids or wives....then they say that one was genuine

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Bonjour Apple inc.
One afternune i was riding on m'a scooter with le iphone in moi back pocket, I felt it vibarate and produce a akward ringing sound. I then picked up moi iphone and le vibration and la ringing continued. I was so scared and didn't know wat to do. I tossed le iphone onto the pavement and began to stomp on it until it stopped making funny sounds and vibrating. Why ma iphone crack and break when I tossed it?. Why ma iphone make funny noise and rumble when i recieve a call? I demand å new iphone. Moi mother cant call me because I have no iphone.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
When you throw the iPhone because it's hissing, then yea, the force of it hitting the ground will break the glass.

Way to go, Apple. Maybe you need to hire a few more impact physicists.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
To all those backing up apple, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO'S AT FAULT.

The battery shouldn't explode period unless I were to put explosives on it and blow it up. I swear you fanbois if this was the Zune HD's you would be all over blaming Microsoft even if the users were putting explosives on it.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Apple can't have collateral damage from this explosive issue, so of course there's no faulty batteries, or bad chipsets, or dithered displays, or ...

In typical PR fashion, Apple coins id10t errors as "external forces"

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
If we're just talking about broken glass on the iPhone, sure that can EASILY be user abuse. However, the question begs to be asked what the deal is with "exploding". Are internal components actually breaking in such a matter as to "explode"? If so, even if the glass breakage is due to user error, the internal components shouldn't be allowed to 'explode'. If this phone is in someone's pocket, and the glass cracks, and as a result something internally (like a battery) explodes, it could cause injury if any acids or something from the battery are expelled.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Well, if glass is subjected to a temperature drastically different than its current temperature (generally on the order of 100 degrees or more Fahrenheit) it will more or less shatter all of a sudden; the stuff is very hard (far harder than steel) and brittle as a result; thus damage to one part quickly spreads throughout, which is why in most cases, you can't just break a small hole in glass; the whole pane, even a large one, shatters spectacularly.

Claims of them rocketing a good distance are perhaps too fantastic to believe; that'd require several joules of pure kinetic energy to launch it that high; that' be converting a lot of heat to momentum. However, shattering the glass wouldn't be a problem, or burning it up.

It's common practice for big corporations like Apple (or Ford, as mentioned above) to try and deny any responsibility for the failures of their products, ESPECIALLY if people get hurt or property gets damaged as a result. Making good products is NOT their goal: making money is. And admitting they screwed up, while it might go toward the former, it hurts their odds at the latter.

So all told, I'd guess that yeah, there's heat issues with the iPhone 3GS, (which is no surprise; I remember less-serious heat issues with some of the first PowerMac G5s) and predictable enough, Apple is hoping a straight-faced lie will allow them to avoid any responsibility until this "blows over."

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
this is retarded! so maybe it is because people are dropping them apple! it may be because some people have come to expect that their $1000 mobile phone won't be useless after one minor drop!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS