Apple Blames Users for Exploding iPhones

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I came of my motorbike at 50mph with my iphone in my back pocket. Bashed up the case pretty bad and the thing is now warped and has trouble registering touch on the lower part of the screen.
I have also managed to chip the screen of my old gen1 ipod touch, but have dropped that sucker onto concrete and onto the road more times than I can count. I think these things are pretty bloody sturdy.
And I can't believe people are complaining that a company offered a refund, wow, how evil!

I'm no fanboy, but it seems to be a seriously low number (like 5 out of how many hundreds of thousands sold) and you'd have to figure a couple were people faking it. Also the pictures hardly look like an explosion to me. I reckon you'd find a higher proportion of cracked screens on any given phone on the market.
I seriously worry about the hate poured out here whenever an apple product seems to have a problem, they are a big multi-national company that makes fairly solid products that are fairly popular and sit more towards the prestige end of the market. Like european cars or higher end tool companies like dewalt etc. Hardly worth working up a lather of hate over.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Ok to apply common sense to all apple products and the reality of Lithium Ion batteries is that YES under certain circumstances a manufacturing defect in the Lion cell can cause a battery to heat and swell 2x its normal size. In regards to Iphones exploding, this is due to their batteries being sealed inside the enclosure. When expansion occures this would put pressure against all components to the point of breach. Had the iphone contained a removable battery it would just pop out of the back battery case and no harm done other than a pesky defective battery that can be replaced at any battery retailer.

But since there are 10 reports out of the 10 million iphones sold world wide, my guess is you have a .0000000000001% chance of having your iphone explode. And if your iphone does get hot, a lot less damage would be done had you gently placed the phone onto a surface rather than chucking it like a live grenade.

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
God damn all batteries can explode if punctured or impacted severely.

Not exactly Apple's fault but still screw you Apple.

rcmaniac25

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
As others have stated, of course it's not Apple's fault. But Apple doesn't have a point that it is the user's fault ;).

If my iPhone started bulging and made a hissing noise i'd throiw it as far away from me as possible. So Apple would say it was me throwing it. It's the stupidest excuse, no personal electronics device should explode even if the user throw it to protect themselves.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
Apple's usual strategy:
1. Deny.
2. Cover-up.
3. Blame user.
4. Pay up, but only after losing a court case and several appeals.

So far, we've seen:
1, (there are no faulty iphones...)
2, (OK, we'll refund / replace your phone, just sign this life-time NDA...)
and now 3.

Sounds like BAU at crapple....

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]alikum[/nom]In case you haven't heard about it, Apple tried to cover up by giving a full refund. Regardless of the actual truth, it is a very bad business practice, almost unethical. If the allegations are false, Apple could always file defamation suits which we have not seen yet. And of course, those exploding stories are not without merit too. One has to wonder making an ipod/iphone slim as it is, how can heat dissipate from within?[/citation]

since when did Apple actually conduct anything ethical ? :)

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]dokengineer[/nom]...And I can't believe people are complaining that a company offered a refund, wow, how evil![/citation]

The refund isn't the problem, it's the "getting the customers to sign an NDA" that's the problem.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
That's the perfect response, blame the user then you don't have to take responsibility for anything. Heck when my truck breaks now all Chevrolet has to say that driving it caused it to break. Way to go Apple. But then I expected this, when they were just a computer manufacturer it was easy to keep a better on on quality because they really didn't have the business of the other major PC manufactures. Now they have a more popular and cheaper product and you sell them by the millions a few bad eggs do slip through the cracks.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
10 feet in the air? Why not go for it and say 50 feet in the air. What is the likelihood of the 'exploding' force to be directed only down anyway? The problem with that iPhone was the owner has no morals and wanted money. Hopefully the court will label their 'exaggerations' what they are: perjury, and apply the appropriate penalties.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]To all those backing up apple, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO'S AT FAULT.The battery shouldn't explode period unless I were to put explosives on it and blow it up. I swear you fanbois if this was the Zune HD's you would be all over blaming Microsoft even if the users were putting explosives on it.[/citation]

Yo...Mr. Dumb Shit, read the facts...NO EXPLOSIONS. Where are they at? You jumped on the fear wagon, and now the truth shall either set you free or bite you in the arse.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
It's obvious what's causing this. Apple's 3.0 OS allows for programs to run in the background. When they tested their devices with the 3.0 OS, they probably didn't bother seeing how heat was dissipated when a third party cover was on the phone, or if the phone was in someone's pocket on a hot day.

Apple has already admitted that the phones overheat, even to the point of causing screen discoloration. They've advised people not to cary the phone in their pocket or put on any sort of restricting cover.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Another thing I wonder is the iPhone one of the only phones which you cannot replace the battery in? Then again that was one of the major reasons why Verizon didn't want the iPhone, that and Verizon repairs their phones onsite instead of shipping them off, or having to go to an Apple store to have them fixed.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]I'm sorry, but for all those people bashing the iPhone and Apple....After the last reported incident, a local French newspaper who had a look at the phone said the same thing. They said it looked more like something impacted it from the outside, I don't know about you, but I trust a newspaper AND Apple with like reports over a consumer who probably wasn't happy about their iPhone. Honestly, angry consumers will do stupid things. And half the time it's probably consumer ignorance, something wayyy too common now a days anyway.[/citation]

of coruse somethign impacted it externally , when teh amn realised it was gonna blow he probably threw it ! LOL

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]quantumrand[/nom]It's obvious what's causing this. Apple's 3.0 OS allows for programs to run in the background. When they tested their devices with the 3.0 OS, they probably didn't bother seeing how heat was dissipated...[/citation]
Oh, sure. They would forget something obvious like that. The whole company is made up of dummies... (Does anyone else beside me get tired of idiots like this and their assumption that the rest of the world is dumber and/or more narrow minded than themselves?)

Status
Not open for further replies.