Apple Buys 60% of Global Display Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
On the upside, that means that the suppliers will have more money for R&D to work on improving yields and prices.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]pelov[/nom]competition?! what?!EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!also i hate people who buy apple and the company as a whole.[/citation]

You are an ignorant fool.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
[citation][nom]pelov[/nom]competition?! what?!EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!also i hate people who buy apple and the company as a whole.[/citation]
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]You are an ignorant fool.[/citation]
I second that. Ignorance is bliss, I guess...

I love apple. I dislike expensive phones, but I do and always have loved the Mac, despite their pricing. I don't see the point of paying $500 for an iPod, either, but they're still a great little gadget.

Apple is an amazing role model as to how a company should be run. I can't really say much more. I know there are those of you out there who disagree, but good for you.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Apple is geniusly run. They will tank after Jobs is gone though. He is their brains and their heart.

Buying all the flat panels was a great business move.

I hate Macs and Apple products. They are a luxury brand and their performance is not even close to justified by their price. If you look at their hardware, the computers are the same as PCs (except for ECC memory, which is a waste), but they cost twice as much. I get why people buy Apple products, but I really don't like them.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
then i guess you HATE me...wait you don't even know me....i really feel sad for you

winterblade

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Can somebody explain me how it is that possible?? I mean, last time a check apple didn´t have 60% of ANY market... so how come it bought 60% of ALL touch panel displays??

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]Apple is geniusly run. They will tank after Jobs is gone though. He is their brains and their heart.Buying all the flat panels was a great business move.I hate Macs and Apple products. They are a luxury brand and their performance is not even close to justified by their price. If you look at their hardware, the computers are the same as PCs (except for ECC memory, which is a waste), but they cost twice as much. I get why people buy Apple products, but I really don't like them.[/citation]

I don't get it. Whats so luxury about apple? you get less for more? luxury to me is you pay a lot more and you get a lot of cool stuff that your normally wouldn't get. Apple is totally reverse in this that they charge way more and actually take away things and lock it down. How is that even close to luxury?a luxury item for me in an example would be 4 video cards 50 gigs of ram 20 TB of hard drive space three 30" monitors 16 cores of cpu power 7.1 surround sound speakers and headset. Now this would cost thousands of dollars.. but thats the cost of luxury getting everything and a bag of chips but it costs money to get.. Apple.. well you have to still pay those thousands but you get less then what would normally cost $600

th_at

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]winterblade[/nom]Can somebody explain me how it is that possible?? I mean, last time a check apple didn´t have 60% of ANY market... so how come it bought 60% of ALL touch panel displays??[/citation]

Had you read more than the headline of the article, you'd have learned that it referred to capacitive glass touch panels.

th_at

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]I don't get it. Whats so luxury about apple?[/citation]

Their products look pretty and cost a lot.

Some people find it stupid to pay an upmark for looks and brand appeal. But it's just a matter of priorities. The food industry lives off people buying stuff based on nothing but taste. The clothing industry lives off people buying a 50c T-Shirt for 30$ because there's a pretty 20c print on it. The car industry lives off people buying sportscars that are impractical and expensive, whose performance numbers are hypothetical, but whose social appeal is very real.

Some people pay Corsair a nice upmark on what amounts to "pretty" but useless heat spreaders on their memory modules, pay 100% more for a GPU that performs 30% better, spend 200$ on a kilowatt PSU they don't need, just to be sure, buy and operate case lights 'cause they, well, look pretty, spend over 200 bucks on an aluminum case for the, cough, build quality, invest in 3-monitor setups so their "productivity" multi-tasking IRC and WoW goes up..

Capitalism lives off people buying sh*t not with their brains, but with their guts.

G

"Some people find it stupid to pay an upmark for looks and brand appeal."

Apparently they're also one of the few companies with capacitive glass touch panel, which many would argue is a technological advantage.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Something tells me LG will be more then happy to increase production of displays if demand is there for other smartphones. Especially with the infusion of several billion in capital from a company that overpaid.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Hopefully the above companies will take their billions that Apple paid and invest it in better touchscreen tech like super AMOLED leaving old cap. touch-screens out-of-date like a lot of Apple tech. For example, core-duo processors in their "new" macbook airs & "new" Nvidia 330m GPU in the macbooks.

neo_moco

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
apple has some overprices products , thats true , and i personally think their macs are weak , but you have to give it to them ... they are a nice company an are creating great competition , if it weren`t for apple and their overpriced but you have admit it good products (not all) there wouldn`t be much competition and comptetition is what drivers inovation and lower prices , you think microsoft would of made win7 so good , samsung would of made galaxy , google with android , honeycomb etc. and other good phones ; all the other companies would just javascript: void(0);stay on their lazy ases if it weren`t for apple to put big preasure on them , i don`t love apple but i don`t hate them either , their presence in the tech world can only do good , we need someone to drive newer and newer technology even if it`s a litte expensive , there are rich people so let them buy it first and when they lower the prices because of competition then we buy ;) , i for example purchased and used iphone 3gs for the cheap and i`m very statisfied , nice little gadged

Status
Not open for further replies.