Apple: Careful, Our Earbuds May Shock You

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]ambictus[/nom]But you know someone that bought them on accident? Ouch... :-|[/citation]

I know people who own them because they bought an iPod. If Apple were to knock $49 off the price of iPods and sell the earbuds separately, I doubt anyone would buy the Apple earbuds.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Another list of ways for people to orbit around their beloved ipod, instead of the ipods orbiting them. I mean seriously, ipods seem to be such a hassle, with batteries dieing after a few recharges and stuff, why not just got some regular cheap mp3 player that no one will cry over if it breaks? It seems that people are spending money on a delicate piece of electronic, so that they can worry over it and take care of it very well and obey its every order.

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I got shocked in the ear by some little phillips ear buds once. It was during the winter, so the air is already very dry, and I had them plugged into my laptop and without getting out of my seat I reached over and grabbed my super big winter coat...

I started to slide the coat on and BAM I got shocked in my left ear LOL It didn't really hurt but it killed the earbud and I had to go shell out another $20 or whatever for a new pair.

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
LOL This was happening to my old iPod headphones. Garbage piece of crap, threw it away and got me some SkullCandy in-ear $20 earbuds.

Like the zaps I received actually hurt no lie. Like you'll jump a bit.

neo1231

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
this is the stupidest thing i have ever read! no one uses those earphones they suck! did anyone else with common sense read this? they are practicaly telling you that in order to listen to your music you have to
* Try raising the moisture level in the air of the local environment by using a portable humidifier or adjusting the humidity control on your air conditioner.

neo1231

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
# There are a number of anti-static sprays that can be sprayed into the air that can be used to reduce static.
# If you have dry skin, try anti-static hand lotion.
# Try wearing different clothes. Try clothes with natural fibers since synthetic fibers are more likely to hold a static charge.
# Try to keep your device out of the wind by using a case, or leaving it in your bag or pocket.
# Avoid removing your device from your pockets frequently as rubbing the device on certain materials can cause a static build up

that is just dumb

neo1231

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
who would want to do that just to listen to music, what if you are on a bus are you going to whip out an anti static spray? no

arvedui

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I live in Arizona, so it's dry all year round.

Needless to say, I bought my own, better earphones after my Apple ones that came with my iPod gave me that first shock.

knutjb

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
First it was iPods with overly loud minimum volume levels frying ears now this. To get Apple's electroshock therapy for no additional cost is surprising since they over charge for everything.

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Apple ipod earbuds manual.

Before using the earbuds, make sure you buy humidifier for your room, otherwise the product should not be used.

Warning ! The product should not be used if you live in the dry climate areas.

You might recieve a shock to your ears, but on the positive side - they look preety.

G

Thank god I keep my anti-static spray, hand lotion and underwear with me at all times!

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
What I also think is funny is the fact that apple even had to address the problem to the lemmings that were making a big deal about it... Tomorrow apple is holding a meeting about black IPODs becoming hot in the sun and ways to avoid getting burned by them.

G

What a bunch of whiners! There are millions of ways to get static shocked by tons of different products... Apple is dumb for coming our and advertising it like this, and the people making a big deal about it are just as dumb.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
for the amount that they charge, you'd think they would have had the metal that touches your ears treated so it wouldn't do this.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
" * Try raising the moisture level in the air of the local environment by using a portable humidifier or adjusting the humidity control on your air conditioner.
* There are a number of anti-static sprays that can be sprayed into the air that can be used to reduce static.
* If you have dry skin, try anti-static hand lotion.
* Try wearing different clothes. Try clothes with natural fibers since synthetic fibers are more likely to hold a static charge.
* Try to keep your device out of the wind by using a case, or leaving it in your bag or pocket.
* Avoid removing your device from your pockets frequently as rubbing the device on certain materials can cause a static build up."

Here's a suggestion for you. How about you make a product that does not require me to wear a antt-staic HASMAT type uniform while being in a Faraday cage just to listen to some music. How about that? Oh, and how about not overcharging for the pleasure of getting shocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS