Apple Closed Retail Stores in Memory of Steve Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
So are all Unix-based machines (~70% of all Internet servers, mainframes at big businesses, Macs, iDevices and Android, and the occasional hobbyist machine) being shut down in memory of Dennis Ritchie?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]So are all Unix-based machines (~70% of all Internet servers, mainframes at big businesses, Macs, iDevices and Android, and the occasional hobbyist machine) being shut down in memory of Dennis Ritchie?[/citation]

C is not just Unix. And yes, you have a good point here.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
"Now I'm eagerly waiting when the "memories" will also finally pass away."

Well said. Plus, the memories are memories and they have an exact place and it's not the press or the paper....

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I am not celebrating the death of Steve Jobs and I certainly understand why employees MIGHT be sorry to see him go. He also improved greatly on existing products...

But I don't understand why so many people are so distraught that he is gone.

I mean, wasn't he kind of an a-hole? He was known for ruthlessly going after employees who leaked information about products, and individuals who obtained those products. But what did he do outside of Apple that was so great? He was not a philanthropist. He did not do anything to give back or improve people's lives. I am not saying he SHOULD have, but isn't that how we usually measure the greatness of one's life (not to be confused with the value of one's life)?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/record-thin-on-steve-jobss-philanthropy/2011/10/06/gIQA3YKKRL_story.html

Condolences to his friends and families, but I don't understand all the fanfare.

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Can't there be some flag for "don't bother showing this article on the front page".

What a waste of my eyeball time. I had to read the title. And I was so pissed off I had to waste my time I am wasting my time posting about this stupid article. I just can't win.

WTF CARES THAT THEY CLOSED THE DAMN STORES!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
He refused to acknowledge he was the father of his first daughter too I think?
Claiming he was infertile, then nek minute.... children with other woman.

Yes he created jobs and turned apple into a big company. BUT he isn't god!
He was a marketing genius.

IMO Richie deserved more credit

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
They closed it, to build more demand, and have a day of manufacturing to meet demand. That simple. How is closing a store honoring his memory?

G

"Well said. Plus, the memories are memories and they have an exact place and it's not the press or the paper...."

the correct place is up my ass and around the corner

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
...I know great physicians that saved actual lives and were not getting this hype when they passed away. I mean, nobody knows the name of the inventor of insulin, but EVERYONE is kissing up to Jobs' "great gift to mankind"... I guess a lot of people got their priorities wrong.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
nobody knows the name of the inventor of insulin, but EVERYONE is kissing up to Jobs' "great gift to mankind"... I guess a lot of people got their priorities wrong.

Well said man....but there is a big BUT.
You know, when most people read what you're saying, in their head they have something like "blalalbsdflghhsdlg". It's chinese to them, that's why rich bastards (and i'm not talking about anyone specific) are getting credit for....just being rich.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Can I start telling Steve Jobs death jokes now or is it still too soon?[/citation]

Please do, I'd love to hear some! The most obvious one would be that he died from embarrassment because someone named the new iPhone "for-a$$", but the iSheep were not happy, since they desperately wanted the model to have a five on it. This has been beaten to death, though, so please come up with something better :)

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]fball922[/nom]Don't get me wrong, I am not celebrating the death of Steve Jobs and I certainly understand why employees MIGHT be sorry to see him go. He also improved greatly on existing products...But I don't understand why so many people are so distraught that he is gone.I mean, wasn't he kind of an a-hole? He was known for ruthlessly going after employees who leaked information about products, and individuals who obtained those products. But what did he do outside of Apple that was so great? He was not a philanthropist. He did not do anything to give back or improve people's lives. I am not saying he SHOULD have, but isn't that how we usually measure the greatness of one's life (not to be confused with the value of one's life)?http://www.washingtonpost.com/busi [...] story.htmlCondolences to his friends and families, but I don't understand all the fanfare.[/citation]
Name a CEO who isn't an a-hole or who isn't reported as being an a-hole? Are you asking what he did outside of business or outside of Apple? How do you know he didn't do anything to give back or improve people's lives? Just because he didn't advertise it? Even your link says that just because he didn't publicly give money away, that doesn't mean he wasn't philanthropic. I'm sure you praise Bill Gates for donating a billion or whatever and say he's so generous for donating around 2% of his wealth. I don't even care, I just like calling people out on their BS and hypocrisy.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Please do, I'd love to hear some! The most obvious one would be that he died from embarrassment because someone named the new iPhone "for-a$$", but the iSheep were not happy, since they desperately wanted the model to have a five on it. This has been beaten to death, though, so please come up with something better[/citation]Holy shit, these are funny. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS