Apple Closes App Store Doors to iOS 3.1.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
What I get from this is update your devices to the way we want you to do it. If you don't, no more icrack apps for you. lol

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
So Apple locks us down to using the App Store. Then they prevent those of us using older iOS software from getting Apps from the App Store. Additionally Apple tried to make it illegal to jailbreak.

Sounds like they want us to buy a new phone badly.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]jblack[/nom]So Apple locks us down to using the App Store. Then they prevent those of us using older iOS software from getting Apps from the App Store. Additionally Apple tried to make it illegal to jailbreak.Sounds like they want us to buy a new phone badly.[/citation]

You forgot to mention that apple limits the device's that can upgrade beyond a certain point, so they essentially just froze all of their old devices from being able to get new software without iTunes.

jona102190

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
The fact that developers will be unable to push updates for their apps for well over a week is ridiculous. Plus, I'm sure the huge backlog of apps will not be cleared on the 8th day. Oh well, I hope nothing really breaks, or an app could really be trashed.

Novulux

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Dyseman[/nom]Ok, so I will admit right up front, I know nothing about iAnything...Sooo, WHY is 3.1.3 the magic number?[/citation]

I believe it was the last update supported by earliest devices and before 4.0. I still have a first gen which is running 3.1.3. (jailbroken)

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
This is the only way Apple will keep Android behind them. This limits the fragmentation between all the devices, making it easier for devs to program.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Well, to be fair, this only affects the original iPhone and first gen iPod touch. These devices were released in 2007. Both of these devices have received updates all the way up to last year which ended with v3.1.3

Not really sure how many of these devices are really operating or being operated anymore, but most of them are probably iPod touches. These older devices most likely do not even have the ability to run the newer updates, and continuing to provide updates for older software would be silly from a business perspective. I would guess that there was maybe a security flaw or something found with the older iOS version and they disabled access instead of trying to go back and fiddle with the outdated software.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]jblack[/nom]So Apple locks us down to using the App Store. Then they prevent those of us using older iOS software from getting Apps from the App Store. Additionally Apple tried to make it illegal to jailbreak.Sounds like they want us to buy a new phone badly.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]and people wonder why i call apple communist.[/citation]
[citation][nom]gokanis[/nom]What I get from this is update your devices to the way we want you to do it. If you don't, no more icrack apps for you. lol[/citation][citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]You forgot to mention that apple limits the device's that can upgrade beyond a certain point, so they essentially just froze all of their old devices from being able to get new software without iTunes.[/citation]

First of all, did you all just completely fail to read the part where it was explained that this may simply be a temporary glitch, or that they can use iTunes as a temporary workaround?

Second of all - the only devices affected by this are the original iPhone, and the 1st gen iPod. That means that iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and the 2nd and 3rd-generation iPod touch are not affected at all. The original iPhone was released in June 2007 - before Android had even been released.

Thirdly - if you really want to talk about failure to support older devices, look no further than the Nexus One. Launched in 2010, and Google's flagship smartphone - it will not receive the Android Ice Cream Sandwich update. Who is forcing who to upgrade? Who is a communist? Who limits the devices that can upgrade beyond a certain point?

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Just imagine first defrauding morons into buying their proprietary drm infested
crap hardware and then hitting them with this. It is indeed sad to be an Apple fanboy. And these reptiles still go out on a limb to push people into buying crap from Apple.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Heheh :) First of all - article lacks very important information - WHAT devices will be limited - thanks to watcha for pointing it out. On the other hand his argument that Nexus won't get ICS isn't valid at all - a smartphone based on android 1.6 can STILL purchase compatible apps, Apple basically switched that option OFF for customers who DID NOT upgrade yet. It's like selling a car to a person and after 5 years taking the roof and the doors out. You can still drive it - but the product is seriously crippled by company's policy enforced by them not being bothered to support 5% (another missing info in the article - how many devices will be affected?) of 40% of all smartphone users - perhaps the number is so small it doesn't matter in the end? I'm an Android person but let's face it - it's kind of understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.