Apple Ending the iPhone 4 Free Case Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Continuing to downplay the issue. I'm curious if someone is denied a bumper and then can't place an 911 call in a low signal area because of the Antenna...how Apple will handle being sued.

HTDuro

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
At the end of this month, Apple is going back its normal returns policy – 14 days and a possible 10 percent restocking fee – for all iPhone 4s sold after September 30.

and some lawyers letters from customers ...

dan117

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
"the case program would run until the end of September"
because phone magically fixes itself in October

G

The first sentence is wrong. It should read:

"Now that we've masked over our catastrophic design blunder with software updates, you needn't worry your pretty little heads anymore."

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
In the end Apple will reap what it sows... or at least any ordinary business would. Apple is a master of brand perception, even if reality doesn't support the claims.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Just in time for the release of WP7 and a whole slew of new Android phones

Bad business decision, Apple should have done the opposite and extended the program till Xmas, good will is worth ten times it's cost in bad press.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Apple seem to think the appleoids have learned to hold the product "right", doubt it as many appleoids still purchase the defective version. Conclusion - Must ne some kind of flaw in the learning department of the brain! =P

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
this is mostly fault of the consumers...

they have very short memory so the Apple is taking advantage of fickle consumer awareness...

if you want the antenna to be fixed permanently, you have to CONSTANTLY ask for it...

braxis john

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Yeah, i'll buy that now that "magically" fix that antenna. Or i'll just "learn how to hold" my iPhone4.

Ok Apple now tell another joke.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Glad everybody had a chance to rant. I for one think the issue is real, even if it sometimes takes a strong grip to short the antenna. On the other hand, the glass back and front of the phone (Gorilla or not) made me get a case anyway. So I think it's not so much that the technical issue doesn't exist, but a case is almost mandatory anyway. (Yes, the iPhone4 is extremely slippery and not easy to hold.)

I opted for Belkin's clear case followed by Apple's "bumper". I have to admit I didn't expect much from the latter, BUT it turned out to be an excellent case for ergonomics, button access and looks. Further, this is an expensive design (many parts) and the $30 seem much more justified than the $20 - $30 for a single shot case like most others. I'm impressed even if I'm getting flamed for liking the Bumper.

G

Whats the matter with the guys above? So much hate and cynicism towards Apple? I think Apple has been responsive and supportive of their users in this case.

processthis

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Apple's cure: cover the side of the phone in needles.

Job's comment: "Now you HAVE to hold it like I told you to. See, I was right all along. You can apologize now."

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]theuerkorn[/nom]Glad everybody had a chance to rant. I for one think the issue is real, even if it sometimes takes a strong grip to short the antenna. On the other hand, the glass back and front of the phone (Gorilla or not) made me get a case anyway. So I think it's not so much that the technical issue doesn't exist, but a case is almost mandatory anyway. (Yes, the iPhone4 is extremely slippery and not easy to hold.)I opted for Belkin's clear case followed by Apple's "bumper". I have to admit I didn't expect much from the latter, BUT it turned out to be an excellent case for ergonomics, button access and looks. Further, this is an expensive design (many parts) and the $30 seem much more justified than the $20 - $30 for a single shot case like most others. I'm impressed even if I'm getting flamed for liking the Bumper.[/citation]
You won't be flamed for liking the bumper, you'll be flamed for being a mindless sheep. You're the reason Apple gets away with what its doing. Seriously, Apple creates a phone with obvious problems. You buy said phone for $200 + 2-year phone plan. Then, when the phone has problems, what do you do? You give Apple another $30 for 50-cents worth of rubber to "solve" the problems they designed the phone with in the first place.

I think it was decent of Apple to give away cases. What I think is crooked is that they first tried to charge you for those cases hoping enough people wouldn't complain about the problem they must have known about before hand. Yes, lots of companies do this. Recalls on any product are often the result of numerous complaints against the product or company (one counter-example is when Johnson and Johnson recalled all that children's pain relief medicine because it failed internal tests). However, no one should praise a company for the recall. Did people praise those egg producers in Iowa for recalling the eggs? No, people blamed them for shipping contaminated eggs in the first place. Did people praise Toyota for recalling those stuck accelerators? No, they lambasted them for designing death cars for the past 8 years. Yet so many Apple faithful (and this site too) seem to praise Apple for doing the right thing by giving away free cases (but only until Sept. 30th, if you buy a phone after that, its your own stupid fault). The rest of us who realized Apple never should have shipped a phone with such problems in the first place still aren't buying it.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]You won't be flamed for liking the bumper, you'll be flamed for being a mindless sheep. You're the reason Apple gets away with what its doing.[/citation]
Whatever floats your boat. I take it you actually have an iPhoine4 to be that informed?

G

@theuerkorn

i take it you brought a toyota to be informed on the stuck accelerator issue.....

when apple outright fails to acknowledge the issue, and by all reckoning there is some kind of issue here, kind of funky to be giving free cases for a non issue (that and the plenty of complaints, although not according to apple....), we can only conjecture as to the probable cause

and really he'll be a stupid bunny if he went out to buy a phone that seems to have unresolved issues, especially and iPhone, thats an expensive exercise in stupidity

Status
Not open for further replies.