Apple Files 3D Display Patent

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A patent on the specific use of others' patents. Brilliant innovation!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
this is a REALLY s***y way to do 3d

there is only one thing that this would work great with though, menus, and games. but not the 3d part of games, the menus and overlays. it would give them some depth and the would look over all a bit nicer. other than that... this is a capitalistic system with only 3 levels (as they say) of depth and the depth wont look as good as any of the current options, even the 3ds would have better 3d.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]this is a REALLY s***y way to do 3dthere is only one thing that this would work great with though, menus, and games. but not the 3d part of games, the menus and overlays. it would give them some depth and the would look over all a bit nicer. other than that... this is a capitalistic system with only 3 levels (as they say) of depth and the depth wont look as good as any of the current options, even the 3ds would have better 3d.[/citation]

Dont forget that this is apple. People will buy it even though it's shit and not something they need.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I don't understand how Apple can patent an idea that was already invented NINE years ago, and has commercial screens available. http://www.puredepth.com/
I guess if you are in the Reaity Distortion Field this idea will somehow still seem to be new and original.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Khimera2000[/nom]But its apple, if the technology works great... nice, but where still dealing with a closed system, just like betamax, and mini disk.[/citation]

What the hell does a closed system have to do with a 3D display without having glasses being cool. Last I checked, that closed system provides a more consistent development environment allowing for more innovative applications to be supported on the platform without having to worry about dealing with many variations in the hardware or the middle ware. There are plenty advantages to it which is why Google is even looking at starting to close their system up a bit more.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
You aren't getting popout without tricking the brain.

Personally i dont mind wearing the nvidia glasses, helps with immersion (lols at g35 headset plus nvidia glasses); I would wear a full body suit and flight helmet if it improved my gaming experience.

I also worry about people that worry about looking silly wearing 3d glasses in their own home...

All that being said, parallax tech has come along fairly well; my evo 3d has excellent 3d, and is viewable from various angles with the only adverse effect being reduced 3d depth.

Were i apple, i would drop this silly idea and focus on parallax, that is where the fashion conscious 3d content consumer is going to spend their dollars. OLED is pricey enough without making a 3 layer display.

Currently you can find a nice 120hz 3d dlp projector for 4-600 dollars (no ghosting with dlp, lol just try to get a 7 color, color wheel if you have fast eyes)

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Put it together with at least 20 layers of transparent OLEDs and you might get close to real 3D.

However, Apple never should have been awarded this patent. This is something people have been doing for about 10 years already, and the idea behind it goes back even further to scifi books around the 1970s. What incompetent patent office worker allowed this through?

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
IMHO it's a stupid technology, not worth spending time on!
There are better alternatives on the market, the best being a plastic ribbed layer (ribs evenly distributed to the pixel width) on top of the LCD that the user can see 3D without wearing glasses. The other is polarization glasses.
Those 2 are the best.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
So stacking 3 of an existing patented technology allows them to apply for a patent for what, coming up with the idea of stacking said patented technology? Stacking transparent displays to provide "3-D" depth has already been done. A simple Google search for "multi-layer display" will land numerous demonstrations of such technology, with many of those results being several years old.

Unless they've concocted a completely new way of doing things, all they're doing is making improvements upon someone else's technology, and thus, would need permission to use their patented tech so as not to risk infringing upon it.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]You aren't getting popout without tricking the brain. Personally i dont mind wearing the nvidia glasses, helps with immersion (lols at g35 headset plus nvidia glasses); I would wear a full body suit and flight helmet if it improved my gaming experience.I also worry about people that worry about looking silly wearing 3d glasses in their own home...All that being said, parallax tech has come along fairly well; my evo 3d has excellent 3d, and is viewable from various angles with the only adverse effect being reduced 3d depth. Were i apple, i would drop this silly idea and focus on parallax, that is where the fashion conscious 3d content consumer is going to spend their dollars. OLED is pricey enough without making a 3 layer display.Currently you can find a nice 120hz 3d dlp projector for 4-600 dollars (no ghosting with dlp, lol just try to get a 7 color, color wheel if you have fast eyes)[/citation]

oleds are actually amazingly cheap. however everyone wants to make them cost so much to mark the prices up because of the "cool" factor of having a monitor that is 1/8 an inch thick.

if apply uses the oled fab, and forces a 1080p minimum resolution, they may jump start oled mass production, as they are FAR cheaper than lcds to produce (from what i read) [citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]IMHO it's a stupid technology, not worth spending time on!There are better alternatives on the market, the best being a plastic ribbed layer (ribs evenly distributed to the pixel width) on top of the LCD that the user can see 3D without wearing glasses. The other is polarization glasses.Those 2 are the best.[/citation]

no, polarization is only good if you need lots of glasses on the cheap, or have kids.
active shutter are the best currently, as they provide sharper images, and i also believe a bit brighter depending on the glasses quality.

the best that we currently have, but not commercially viable yet, would be head mounted displays, with 1080p screens per eye.

with 2 screens, you aren't really tricking your eyes. and you don't get the same sickness that you can get from active shutter if you have fast eyes.

azetec

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
This is so hilarious I see now how Apple is doing their magic, they look into industry at what others are inventing and creating then they file a patent for that kind of technology that others are producing, so since there's so much fuss about 3D Displays these days they thought it would be useful to file a patent for a 3D Display that they don't even produce.

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]I don't understand how Apple can patent an idea that was already invented NINE years ago, and has commercial screens available. http://www.puredepth.com/I guess if you are in the Reaity Distortion Field this idea will somehow still seem to be new and original.[/citation]
BUT that's not 3D that's just layers. They tell lies in those pages and nobody sues? Oh, it's not something that someone could cash on so then it's just "marketing". I wonder if Apples solution is totally different. We will see...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]CyberAngel[/nom]BUT that's not 3D that's just layers. They tell lies in those pages and nobody sues? Oh, it's not something that someone could cash on so then it's just "marketing". I wonder if Apples solution is totally different. We will see...[/citation]

acutually you will get a light 3d effect. its just not all that pronounced, or good.

G

ROFL.

First of all, there are already monitors with 2 lcd screens that mimic 3D, so this isnt new. Apple just added a screen.

Second of all, I just patented life in 3D. Pay Up Suckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.