Apple iMac 21.5-inch Review (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HumdrumPenguin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Well Michael, if you're not a die hard Apple fan, you did a poor review. This iMac is just lame, no more words to describe it. In your "PROS" you included "Vivid 1080p display; Included iWork and iLife suites; Comfortable keyboard and mouse". 1080p is standard in a 21.5" display, and sure as hell it's an 8 bit panel (16m colors). They always clame that macs are good for design, well, you'd need a 10bit panel (1.07b colors) and a higher resolution for that. iWork and iLife suites... really? The great majority does not use neither of these. Comfortable keyboard and mouse, for god sake man, what the hell . They're terrible, and that magic mouse, Jesus, I could incinerate then all and nobody would miss. It's a terrible piece of junk that people like because it was developed by Apple. Fanboyism destroys brains all over the world. 1100 bucks and you get a dual core cpu, which is, again... lame. Sorry, but there's no "PROS" in this machine. You actually said that it could play a trailer in the review like it was something nobody should expect from a lower end computer. About being slim and beautiful... well, that's just taste, but they've been sticking to the same design for years, and I personally don't like it. Where's the Apple innovation I wonder. Oh yeah, they threw it in the garbage years ago.

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
@HumdrumPenguin

You are 100% right, but thing is, Apple will manage to sell a few millions of these with ease. I guess even with crappy CPU, GPU,screen size and basically everything this iMac will suit needs of 90% of users and it has Apple logo on it :)

If this was windows machine nobody would dare to sell this piece of junk for more then 600-700 bucks :)

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I have been a rabid Mac hater for years but I bought an iMac in late 2013 (2.9 GHz upgraded model) for my kids to do homework with. I have to admit, it's a slick, gorgeous design and the screen really is superb. I opted for Nvidea graphics and though I don't play games, the ones my kids play are silky-smooth on the iMac.

The sound coming from the iMac is outstanding. Never test using modern brickwall-limited, garbage music and expect it to sound good while being played loudly - use less compressed, older music to test with. The iMac's sound is rich and detailed - shockingly good for an all-in-one. I've got an above-average stereo system at home but if the iMac was the only music provider in my house, I wouldn't be heartbroken. It's that good.

I'm not a huge fan of Mac OS - I think that Windows 7 is much, much better but overall, the iMac is pretty impressive. It's handsome and completey silent which makes it a good fit for my living room. I wish that I had sprung for a faster hard drive but since the computer is being used for homework and web surfing, I didn't see the neccessity. It takes a little longer to boot and launch apps than I would like but I'm willing to overlook that in lieu of everything else the machine has going for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.