Apple iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken, Even Cracks the New iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
After following this community for a long time and having a jailbroken iPhone for a few years, I say "big deal".

The iPhone is a nice device, but the trouble you have to go through just to jailbreak and install custom apps is just not worth the hassle. Also, many of the Cydia apps are poorly written and cause crashes/battery drain, and other strange issues. There is pretty much no quality control regarding Cydia.

In the end, I think users would be much just buying an Android device. They are generally more powerful, more customizable, there tons of apps that are much better than Cydia apps, and the phones are not locked down like the iPhone.

This is just my opinion, but after owning a jailbroken iPhone for a few years and then switching to Android, I'm so glad to be out of that "scene".

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]In the end, I think users would be much just buying an Android device. They are generally more powerful, more customizable, there tons of apps that are much better than Cydia apps, and the phones are not locked down like the iPhone.[/citation]

Some Android phones (and tablets) are locked down but unless they are missing the Google Play marketplace you do have a bit more available that you won't find in the Apple marketplace.

Also with many devices available and the open source nature of the OS jailbreaks tend to be available quickly for any new device. Once jail broken most devices have several options for which ROM to install as well which only further increases the customization options.

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@beardguy: frankly, it depends on who uses the phone - while I'd rather get an Android device myself, I got my hands on a "cheap" iPhone 4 - jailbreaking it gave me a cheap yet rather powerful smartphone, and I can customize it. On top of that, Cydia is nothing more than a package installer: if you can't check that the packages you're installing work well, then you shouldn't get a customizable smartphone - including Android. And you certainly must not get a PC.
Because, when you know what you're doing, a jailbroken iPhone can be:
- faster
- longer lasting
- more secure.
I'll take for example my wife's iPhone 3G (she bought it because, at the time, no other smartphone sold in France allowed Chinese input): this old thing didn't do multitasking, had known security problems (support ended a couple years ago), and was slow as molasse - even when reset to factory settings. Too bad for a phone that could still open a web page, and hold a charge for up to a week (data disabled), typically a couple days of normal use.

After an afternoon of work on it, said security holes are plugged, better access to 3G and wifi settings allow one to save power as an afterthought, and thanks to a few optimizations, not only does it multitasks, it is actually more reactive than before - and can run half a dozen apps in parallel without trouble.

These tweaks allowed iOS 4.2.1's improvements to really shine: virtual memory, multitasking and connection sharing are far more useful when the phone doesn't spend half its CPU time and RAM running useless daemons or rendering transparency effects and drop shadows.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
@zaznet & mitch074,

You both have valid points. While the jailbreaking tools have become really easy to use, you still are constantly at the mercy of a "dev team" who works on new jailbreaks when they feel like it. Since it's a hobby to them, you are stuck waiting for an a jailbreak months after the latest ios releases. And again, the quality control in Cydia is severely lacking. Sure there are plenty of bad Andriod apps, but of the apps in Cydia, I would say 90%+ of them are completely useless and/or poorly done.

To me the iPhone is more a device for mass consumption. In other words, I think it is more appealing to less technical people. That's not to say technical people don't own iPhones.

The fact that the iPhone doesn't even have a file browser is a real eye opener. Yes, I've used "iFile" but it's not elegant at all, and doesn't even come close to the UI or ease of say Androids built in file browser. It's little things like this that drove me crazy. Also Apple forcing you through iTunes to put any music/movies/files on your phone is absurd.

Again, if you have to "hack" an iPhone to even make it halfway customizable and decent, why not just buy an Andriod? I'll admit, part of it is political for me, I just can't stand how Apple locks everything down and forces people to use their ecosystem. And even though I really did like my iPhone when I had it, when I started using Andriod a few weeks ago I realized quickly how much I was missing.

G

Does NOT crack the newest 32nm ipad3. Misinformation. Cracks first gen ipad3 however.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
+16 ( at the time of posting)

[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom] Again, if you have to "hack" an iPhone to even make it halfway customizable and decent, why not just buy an Andriod? I'll admit, part of it is political for me, I just can't stand how Apple locks everything down and forces people to use their ecosystem. And even though I really did like my iPhone when I had it, when I started using Andriod a few weeks ago I realized quickly how much I was missing.[/citation]

+8 ( at the time of posting)
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom] In the end, I think users would be much just buying an Android device. They are generally more powerful, more customizable, there tons of apps that are much better than Cydia apps, and the phones are not locked down like the iPhone. This is just my opinion, but after owning a jailbroken iPhone for a few years and then switching to Android, I'm so glad to be out of that "scene".[/citation]

you posts read like an advert.

( whilst mitch074 insightful comment about jailbroken phones is downvoted -3 )

Everytime phones come up people post how the iphone is crap and android is better. And yet every proffesional reviewer has said Iphone has been best for years and only the latest galaxies are better. I can't help but suspect sock puppeting. even the tone of the forum comments changes when phones come up as a topic.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]After following this community for a long time and having a jailbroken iPhone for a few years, I say "big deal". The iPhone is a nice device, but the trouble you have to go through just to jailbreak and install custom apps is just not worth the hassle. Also, many of the Cydia apps are poorly written and cause crashes/battery drain, and other strange issues. There is pretty much no quality control regarding Cydia. In the end, I think users would be much just buying an Android device. They are generally more powerful, more customizable, there tons of apps that are much better than Cydia apps, and the phones are not locked down like the iPhone. This is just my opinion, but after owning a jailbroken iPhone for a few years and then switching to Android, I'm so glad to be out of that "scene".[/citation]

Frankly, half the benefits you state are lost by ROMs locking you out of root privilege anyway. Having to root your device just to get that experience you describe, how is that different from jailbreaking in the end?

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
LG has just announced the release of a 5 inch retina display much better than the one Samsung manufactures for iCrap, and which trashpple still brags about endlessly, and we are not hearing about this in Tom's Hardware. I think Tom should focus more on technology news. Not hype generation.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
This is just my opinion, but after owning a jailbroken iPhone for a few years and then switching to Android, I'm so glad to be out of that "scene".

So true. Jail breaking an iPhone is like leaving the Apple jail and walking into an uninhabited desert that spreads out hundreds of miles in front o you. Thanks but no thanks.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Everytime phones come up people post how the iphone is crap and android is better. And yet every proffesional reviewer has said Iphone has been best for years and only the latest galaxies are better. I can't help but suspect sock puppeting. even the tone of the forum comments changes when phones come up as a topic.

I think you have lots of learning to do...

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]someoneelse[/nom]+16 ( at the time of posting)+8 ( at the time of posting) you posts read like an advert. ( whilst mitch074 insightful comment about jailbroken phones is downvoted -3 )Everytime phones come up people post how the iphone is crap and android is better. And yet every proffesional reviewer has said Iphone has been best for years and only the latest galaxies are better. I can't help but suspect sock puppeting. even the tone of the forum comments changes when phones come up as a topic.[/citation]
Funny - I don't remember having an iPhone with a slide out keyboard. I hate touch-screen typing.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]LG has just announced the release of a 5 inch retina display much better than the one Samsung manufactures for iCrap, and which trashpple still brags about endlessly, and we are not hearing about this in Tom's Hardware. I think Tom should focus more on technology news. Not hype generation.[/citation]
Really? A display they are just now demoing is better than the one that that was used in a phone that was released almost a year ago? Thats just amazing..

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I guess some people can't read - I have a pair of iPhones, not because I like Apple, but because I had a valid reason to get them:
- the 3G came out when Android was slow as molasse; as a matter of fact, the phone was still supported for quite a while even when contemporary Android phones had been long dropped by their manufacturers - and don't get me started on the homebrew front, a custom build of Android on these oldies usually turned them into not much more than an MP3 player due to proprietary Wi-fi/GSM drivers and simple frame buffers for the screen. I checked.

- the 4 was sold to me second hand, much cheaper than any comparable Android phone: should I pay more for a phone that cannot do much more, but doesn't bear an Apple monogram?

I am NOT an Apple fan - I find their licensing policies revolting. However, they do support their handsets longer than, say, Samsung (I have an original Galaxy Tab - where's ICS for it? I mean an optimized official build with a real video driver! The homebrew builds are fine, but their limitations overcome their advantages), the hardware itself is quite fine (I got an older iPhone 4: I've already taken it apart for some maintenance, easy as pie), and the jailbreaking scene solves the licensing policy problem quite handily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS