Apple is Watching Palm Pre for IP Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrangeWay

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
God forbid Palm produces products in the market IT invented. People talk about Microsoft as a corporate bully, but Apple really sets the standard in both competetion bullying, and locking customers into proprietary formats. Bleh.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
"I'm making a general statement...We will not stand for having our IP ripped off," and Apple will use any "weapons at our disposal."
Kind of a hypocretical comment from a company with a huge track record of playing dirty and ripping off competitors.
Guess they're so afraid of competition that they don't have a choice. Poor rotten apple.
Well actually not poor - appearently quite wealthy in fact.

deredita

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I am getting very disgusted by Apple. I am getting annoyed, as I want a new desktop to go with my aging Macbook, which at the moment is my primary computer. The only desktops Apple offer are exceptionally overpriced units with outdated and obsolete hardware, and the Mac Pro, which would cost me over $3000.

Now this - instead of them seeing some competition as a way for them to spark some further innovation, they seek to get rid of competition at all costs by legal means. I used to hate Microsoft, but to be honest, I think Apple is a far far dirtier player. If they ever become the majority in the computer industry - I think that computer hardware innovation would slowly grind to a halt based on how infrequently they update their desktops.

I am disgusted enough by Apple's shady tactics, and lack of any sort of modern desktop hardware, that I am considering switching back to Windows soon. I can't deal with the lack of quad-core desktops, lack of 8GB ram, lack of innovation, etc... I want a powerful computer, not an overpriced decoration that happens to be able to do some light computing.

I've also had a miserable time with Leopard. Kernel panics, instability, slower performance, etc... How was that any better than Microsoft switching from XP to Vista? Apple went from a rock solid platform 10.4, and went to 10.5, which took forever for them to get working stably. I upgraded from 10.4.11 to 10.5, then after 10.5.4, downgraded back to 10.4.11. I have upgraded a few Windows machines I have at work to Vista, and have yet to downgrade them back to XP.

G

Small typo...good article. "It seems Apple is none too please(d) about this."

captaincharisma

Distinguished
LOL thats funny. Apple offers a quadcore desktop for 3K+ and yey you can go get a quad core PC now for under 1K LOL. just go get a quadcore PC and get a copy of Mac OSX that will work for PC's. I know it can be a pain getting Mac OSX to run on a PC but i rather the pain then wasting an extra 2k on the MAC quadcore

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
If I remember right when the company that has the mac pro 8 core zeon machine bought it, it was somewhere in the range of 9k. And they're relitively underpowered zeons. Though it does have 32GB ram and 4TB of HD space. But either way, I could build the same machine for as little as 2-3k at the very most.

Total Waste. I could have talked them out of it, if they didnt need it for some proprietary apple format. Who would have guessed. :p

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Apple has some pretty funny business practices.

Like their "innovative" keyboards they use on all their notebooks... that they borrowed/stole from Sony.

Or their iPods, iPhones, and now notebooks that cannot be opened for repair, upgrade, or battery replacement by anyone except Apple themselves.

And people honestly complain about Microsoft.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
mac diehards are what we call fanatics

they are no different than any other fanatic whether it be religious, political, etc etc

ive done tech support for macs and some of the ideological crap that comes out of these customer's mouths is disturbing...

like buddy its just a computer, get over it

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
adding to my above post

on the flip side, i have also done tech support for dell computers, and the customers are completely different

its just a computer to them, they just want it fixed, no secret obsession with michael dell

G

Yes, have your pc and your worms, trojans, spyware, flaky windows, keyloggers and viruses and see how far you get before you throw your pc out the window. Mac users are famous for getting things done and not having the system down while redoing the whole system because of viruses.

G

I bet there are more people that have never had a large issue running anything MS than Mac owners. If Mac had the same sales as MS you would hear about all the retards out there with their busted macs blaming apple. Every issue you stated has more to do with the number of idiots using the product rather than the product itself.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
virus or worm makers are not that stupid to make something for macs.

[citation][nom]truthbetold[/nom]Yes, have your pc and your worms, trojans, spyware, flaky windows, keyloggers and viruses and see how far you get before you throw your pc out the window. Mac users are famous for getting things done and not having the system down while redoing the whole system because of viruses.[/citation]

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]LOL thats funny. Apple offers a quadcore desktop for 3K+ and yey you can go get a quad core PC now for under 1K LOL. just go get a quadcore PC and get a copy of Mac OSX that will work for PC's. I know it can be a pain getting Mac OSX to run on a PC but i rather the pain then wasting an extra 2k on the MAC quadcore[/citation]

It's not so difficult, I have a customized quad-core efix built which runs authentic retail Leopard, I am writing this post using this computer. The whole system cost me 1250 Euros with a 24" Samsung screen

Status
Not open for further replies.