Apple ''iTV'' Losing 1080p Playback, Gaining Apps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Weegee64[/nom]Agnickolov is right... Apple is positioning iTV as a home gaming console with some multimedia capabilities. This could easily challenge nintendo, since the Wii is very similar to iTV spec-wise, minus the motion controls. Also, the Apple apps will be cheaper than a full $50 game; great for the casual gamer. Apple is not foolish enough to leave out 1080p if iTV is meant for only tv. The 720p will enable higher fps in games as well. Nintendo is already getting owned by iTouch in the mobile gaming market; now their console is going to have competition as well.[/citation]

Except the Wii has already run it's life cycle pretty much, there isn't anything to steal away, everyone who wanted a Wii has one. Even though there's no announcement, Nintendo's probably already working on their next console, I mean, everyone else is going to have a motion sensor gimmick now, the Wii is losing one of it's major sell points as it is.

The idea that apps are a replacement for real games is an absolute joke. The reason they're so cheap is because there's not a lot of effort put into most. Those totally expensive 50$ games have full dev teams behind them, the only thing Apps would take away are the casual gamers. If they want cheap games, Wii and DSi both have their own cheap minigames to satisfy simpler minds. The only thing apps have over other games is the content delivery. There's nothing stopping Nintendo from announcing their own new system with 1080p and downloadable content as soon as the iTV comes out, and with their superior first party and better third party support (than Apple at least), they'd win that fight easily.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
typical apple snob mentality behind this product .. "our apps are better than true HD viewing" and then "make em pay more for less , they will still love us" well sorry but itv wount be mytv

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I am guessing it is 720p because the price is coming way down. At $99 that is a pretty serious decrease for apple.

Still, this is a terrible product. I cannot think why you would want to lock yourself into iTunes for TV programming.

G

So, yeah. I really love Apple products, but I am really sick and tired of them limiting the potential of every product they put out. Why didn't the 3GS have a front camera or a higher quality main camera? Why don't iMacs, Mac Pros have ESATA? Why didn't the iPad have more memory or a front camera? Why does this new iTV not have 1080p when it's called i_TV_! They constantly make a great product that is 90% of the potential it could be.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Another day..... another poxy apple post about a sub standard product.

I have a question to the apple readers... do you really think that apple is giving you a quality product that matches what is available elsewhere ?

We have people in our office that have iphones with poor signal - so they have to buy Vodaphones "Sure Signal"... others have an ipad that overheats.

And today there is a post on THG about Apple replacing Nano's in Japan due to heat issues.

So the question is... Is "X" apple product worth the money ? and I hope someone out there is honest enough to give a genuine answer

baldinie

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
mm, hate to burst the bubble, but they cant cal it iTV, iTV is the name a long established tv channel here in the UK. mind u, didn't stop them stealing fujitsu's name for the ipad.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I have to admit I can not stand Apple, and completely refuse to have any of their products, but you guys seem to be missing the point here.

The availability of Apps is not dependent upon whether the device (iTV) is capable of delivering 1080P or 720P, anything that can display 1080P can also deliver 720P. I believe the reduction in resolution is more to do with the capabilities of the modern internet, very few people in the USA or in western Europe has a connection sufficient to support streaming 1080P (some do I know but they are in the minority)

Also look at the competition, nearly all deliver their HD at 720P, in fact I don't know of any here in the UK for example that stream any higher, even Sky the biggest provider here in Europe delivers in 720P. To deliver in 1080P Apple would have to at least double the server capability if not treble it.

No matter what I would not buy from Apple, but don't confuse the inclusion of Apps as the reasoning behind the reduction of resolution, the inclusion of Apps is to whittle away your cash at one pathetic micro payment at a time

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itv

Theft - plain and simple - Apple KNOWS that this name is already used by someone else.

Someone give me a legitimate reason why Apple shouldn't be barred from stealing this name the same way they steal everything else. It's just not on and i'm sick to the back teeth with it.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Am i the only one who`s getting sick on this iPad, iPhone, iPod, iTV, iWC, iCar, iSpoon, iSex, iETC ? and no i wouldn`t trade any wide screen TV Panasonic,sony, samsung LG or w/e on an apple TV. I`m getting sick of this corporate wanna take them all scenario.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]baldinie[/nom]mm, hate to burst the bubble, but they cant cal it iTV, iTV is the name a long established tv channel here in the UK. mind u, didn't stop them stealing fujitsu's name for the ipad.[/citation]
The iPhone name was also stolen from Cisco Systems.

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Weegee64[/nom] Nintendo is already getting owned by iTouch in the mobile gaming market; now their console is going to have competition as well.[/citation]

You sir, are wrong. I'd like to see evidence of such a statement. Gaming on Apples mobile devices (iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch) is difficult at best since you are moving the screen around and touching the screen that you need to have an unobstructed view of.

Try this, take your computer monitor or tv and use it as a controller. See how fun it is trying to watch the action while the tv is moving all around since you have to move it inorder to move your character, or to steer, or have to tilt it "up" to jump. It's a retarded gaming platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.