Apple: Jailbreak and Kiss Your Warranty Goodbye

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'm with the vocal minority on this one (that they can void the warranty) with one caveat. If Apple intentionally releases an update for the purpose of making jail-broken phones non-functional (whether as the sole reason or additional reason), they should be financially liable to those users.

Time and time again it has been stated here on Tom's that Apple is not selling only hardware or only software, they are selling a proprietary package. This is much like the POS (point of sale) systems used at many restaurants. You can put whatever software you want on it, but the system manufacturer will only warranty and support their specific configuration.

Also, when you drop anything, that is not considered normal wear-and-tear but user negligence (unless specifically stated in the warranty that it can survive drops of a certain distance - but how do you prove you dropped it less than 1 meter onto concrete and not 1.2 or 2 meters). Often you can buy extended and accidental warranties, but these are not the baseline warranty against manufacturing defects.

Unfortunately, phones are integrated devices. It may difficult to prove that your hack didn't push too much power into the screen and cause it to burn out prematurely.

Not fair to the consumer - but then again, as a consumer you do have a choice on what you buy. If you know your warranty is voided when you buy a phone to jail-break it, then you need to live with your decision. If you don't like that loss of a warranty, buy a different phone.

bmikulla

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
My understanding is that using the phone, beyond looking at it a glass case, voided the warranty, so this is not much of a change.

eddieseven

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I'm awfully sorry but a jailbroken experience is a fantastic experience with software of a much higher quality than that available on the app store.
I sold up anyway and gone android for a much more stable experience.
Oh' and I do flash now!

hellswaters

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I don't see why people are bitching. It's common sense. Doesn't matter if it's legal or not, if you tamper with your phone, then you void your warranty. Same goes for any product. You can't even overclcok without voiding your warranty.[/citation]

Actually, your wrong. When I was building this computer, I overclocked my 4870 using ATI overdrive in the control center, and it ended up burning it out. I was able to get it replaced simply enough.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]hellswaters[/nom]Actually, your wrong. When I was building this computer, I overclocked my 4870 using ATI overdrive in the control center, and it ended up burning it out. I was able to get it replaced simply enough.[/citation]

You overclocked a video card using the manufacturers provided software.

I got warranty service from Apple for an iPhone that had been jail broken at one time.

Apple was not made aware of my tampering and thus my warranty was not voided by them and I got a replacement. Doesn't mean the statement made by someone else about overclocking a CPU can void your warranty.

Individual experiences may differ and it's always up to the support provider to determine if they will cover it.

Lorsus

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
fixed.

Apple’s goal has always been to insure that our customers have a mediocre experience with their iPhone and we know that jailbreaking can severely enhance the experience.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Acutally he's not wrong hells.. Even using software that came with your mb or vid. card can still void the warranty.

But what people seem to be forgetting is that you don't deal directly with steve. You may find a place that say hey my phone broke, and they might simply say ok here you go. Then you might have others who will put the thing through the ropes to see if they can find anything to void the warranty.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
this is what it should have said...

“Apple’s goal has always been to insure that our customers have a great experience with their iPhone and we know that jailbreaking can enhance the experience."

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I don't see why people are bitching. It's common sense. Doesn't matter if it's legal or not, if you tamper with your phone, then you void your warranty. Same goes for any product. You can't even overclcok without voiding your warranty.[/citation]

Removing the bloatware from a laptop doesnt void its warranty...

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Let's just face facts. The Apple iPhone is not intended for the minority of people (enthusiasts) that want the level of customization in their mobile computing experience that "jailbreaking" provides.

No problem at all though. ...since Android is generally believed to meet this audience's customization needs.

I'm no iFan but Apple is making money hand over fist. Their "walled garden" provides a pretty consistent experience for the customer that wants that. For those that don't...

Aaaannnnddddrrrroooiiiiidddd.

What's the big deal?

G

With everything that's already stock on the iPhone I just don't see the need to jailbreak anymore. Most people now probably jailbreak to download pirated apps.

swell9

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
1. Steve must have been misquoted on the sentence "jailbreaking can severely degrade the experience". It must have been "upgrade the experience".
2. Thank you Steve for the restore warranty button.

Status
Not open for further replies.