Apple Kills Pre Syncing With iTunes Update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moejoe4420

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
This does seem predatory. Is that a problem? This is supposedly a capitalist nation. OK, we're trying to 'fix' that as fast as we can. Disclosure: I own a Macbook, and it's great. An Ipod came with it and I have not taken it out of the box. I'll give it to someone. I don't like compressed music. Screw Itunes. And Ipods, if you can figure out how.

frozenlead

Distinguished
@ timbozero:
Some of my less technically-versed friends still talk about the fact that they can't move their songs around - I attributed this to that fact..but to be honest I'd completely forgot Apple removed the DRM..Perhaps I'll give some of them a call now and find out what's going on.

That still, however, doesn't remove the fact that iTunes sucks :)
Been using Winamp for as long as I can remember.

ant1-b0dy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Meh. Once Apple switches their company computers from Linux RedHat to OSX Snow Leopard, they will encounter the data-erasing -'feature'- and this update will be wiped out :)

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
if this is news to some, it's actually Palm that's doing something shady...

Pre is using USB ID assigned to Apple from USB consortium tricking iTunes seeing Pre as an iPod...

i don't know why USB consortium haven't come out and stopped Palm from using Apple USB ID in Pre....

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]MS - Can't install software (IE) on its own OS without legal trouble.Apple - Can completely block out the competition.This seems perfectly logical...[/citation]

You know I thought about this, what's the difference between MS having to give users a choice on what Browser to install vs Apple not allowing you to install any non approved hardware, and having safari installed when you buy the machine?

But as in the past everyone says the EU is an 'f'ing stupid organization.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Kingssman[/nom]Actually the whole hissy fit of the lawsuit was the fact that you couldn't Uninstall IE in windows. See Apple ships with safari, but you can throw safari in the trash and install firefox and that becomes the default browser. In windows you Can't uninstall IE, only get rid of the icon so you can use your firefox all you want but POOF suddenly your IE pops up with an ad.[/citation]

But with Windows 7 you could uninstall it. Hell you can pretty much get rid of ever major feature if you wanted to. I could see if they made a fuss about previous versions but not about Win 7.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]if this is news to some, it's actually Palm that's doing something shady...Pre is using USB ID assigned to Apple from USB consortium tricking iTunes seeing Pre as an iPod...i don't know why USB consortium haven't come out and stopped Palm from using Apple USB ID in Pre....[/citation]
Palm took their case to the USB consortium and they ruled against them. That didnt stop Palm from doing it again though.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]trevorblain[/nom]Sorry if this starts a flame war, but this story just pisses me off. Imagine if you will that instead of Apple, it was... oh lets just say Microsoft... that pulled a stunt like this THREE TIMES. Courts from a dozen different states and the whole damn EU would be all over em like flies on, well, you know. Why is it that Windows having IE built in is anticompetitive, but Safari is just fine?I'm not a MS or Windows fanboy, they do plenty the irks me as well, but what I can't stand is Apple being treated like some sort of underdog hero for pulling the same kind of stunts MS does. The two companies have been around for about the same amount of time (give or take) and PC holds the lion share of users. All this says is Apple shot themselves in the foot by engaging in practices such as the one in the story. Sorry folks, Apple isn't the scrappy skinny actor sassing the fat Microsoft actor in the adds. They are bullies in their own right. God I hate Apple!Grow up apple, take it as a compliment that Palm wants to use your crappy software.[/citation]
If you take Safari and drop it into the trash can in OS X it is gone, not still burried somewhere, it is gone. Microsoft embedded IE into the OS so you can not remove it. You think it's gone but it's just hidden from you.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]If you take Safari and drop it into the trash can in OS X it is gone, not still burried somewhere, it is gone. Microsoft embedded IE into the OS so you can not remove it. You think it's gone but it's just hidden from you.[/citation]
Whats wrong with IE being integrated into the OS? MS spends millions of dollars to make their products, no one in any government should be able to tell them what they can and can not include in them. If you dont like the way MS integrated IE, then dont use MS products. I think this should have been MS's initial and only response to the EU. "No one is forced to use Microsoft Windows or Internet Explorer. Anyone who does not want Windows bundled with our Internet Explorer product has every right to use a competitors operating system or develop their own."

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
There's no reason that anyone needs to do a full uninstall on any Microsoft software that's included with Windows. There just needs to be a way to hide the unused software. Simply having the software sitting on the hard disk will not affect your system performance in any way. This applies to PC's such as Dell, for example, that include a ton of crapware. If this crapware were just sitting on the hard disk not actually running then there would be no problem because it would not affect system performance in any way.

G

Unless I missed it the real solution to me is don't click update when Apple iTunes says there is a new version available. I just synced my Pre and downloaded 114+ songs with no problems. So don't update!!

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Odd, I thought it was deemed against some code for Palm to continue doing this anyway.

I agree, why the hell would you want to link something as nice as a Pre to something as crap as iTunes? Defeats the purpose. But if that's what people really want... More power to Palm, I s'pose.

I have to wonder how the patching works though. I mean, eventually Palm is going to run out of workarounds, won't they? So, due to attrition, Apple will win in the long run. I *think* anyway. I'm no expert. (No wai, someone admitted it on teh Internetz!)

gravitygirl

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
this article reminds me of a neighbor who thought it was fine to park in my driveway. yes, in my driveway as if they lived in my house. the first couple times i simply walked over and asked them to move their car, but eventually i had to begin towing it and did so twice before they, and their guests, got the message. my driveway. i built it. i maintain. its for me.

why doesnt Pre get this?

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Apple is protecting it's territory on software that they have developed for their devices. The end user doesn't pay anything for the right to use iTunes...Apple picks up the development costs in order to assure a good product experience for people who purchase Apple iPods and iPhones.

They have allowed other device manufacturers access to the iTunes library (in the proper manner) that many other manufacturers have taken advantage of, to include RIM and several others. Most of Apple's competition have instead developed their own interface and media catalog software, either by rolling their own or licensing third-party software. Palm is actually the one doing things in an underhanded manner, by "spoofing" USB IDs licensed to Apple for use with their iPods and iPhones, and then using the interface that Apple built specifically for their products.

The unwashed majority of computer users out there do not understand that this is what is happening. Instead, all they see is big bad Apple being stingy with their "toys" and blocking Palm from making a legitimate profit. That Apple hasn't taken Palm to court over this issue speaks volumes of the tenuous legal grounds. Instead, they are appealing to the USB licensing body, and the USB licensing boy has pulled Palm's right to use the USB-compatible logo from all of their packaging and advertising. Apple has also taken steps to further identify their devices as different from Palm's, and have broken syncing in iTunes with Palm devices.

People like to compare Apple's business practices to Microsoft. I'm here to tell you, as a developer who works on both sides of the fence, there is a night-and-day difference between the two companies. Microsoft has an entire suite of unpublished APIs that are used only for Microsoft applications that give Microsoft an unbelievable advantage when running their own software on Windows. Apple, on the other hand, makes an extreme effort to publish each and every feature (and the requisite APIs) that their software uses, and how any developer can leverage those features in their operating system.

I have yet to come across an API set in Mac OS X that isn't documented, and yet, I run across them all the time when developing UI structures for Windows, and when I try to get more information about these undocumented APIs, I am told that the only way I can have access to that information is to pay an exorbitant fee to have access to Windows source documentation, and the only reason they allow this even now is because the EU forced their hand.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Not a big fan of the Palm, but I like anyone sticking it to Apple. But honestly, what's wrong with letting them sync with iTunes? C'mon Apple we all need our music that we pay for.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]tester24[/nom]You know I thought about this, what's the difference between MS having to give users a choice on what Browser to install vs Apple not allowing you to install any non approved hardware, and having safari installed when you buy the machine? But as in the past everyone says the EU is an 'f'ing stupid organization.[/citation]

Microsoft qualifies as a monopolist, Apple doesn't (yet?). Microsoft is a Godzilla that nobody could face, unless you put restrictions on it. Apple is not (yet?). EU isn't as stupid as you think. And, I think, EU will be the first, that could deny such practices in general, as they already did, for example in case printer cartridges manufacturers cannot artificially forbid 3rd party ones.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"Those of you tempted to buy a Pre based on the fact that it can sync with iTunes, don't be disheartened"

yeah... I'm sure both of them are waiting with bated breath...

Status
Not open for further replies.