G

one can always fake a 'real' app screenshot and insert a fake app,

same same

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
one can always fake a 'real' app screenshot and insert a fake app,

No, because it wouldn't be approved.

How come fake apps are even approved in the first place?

Because the obviously have a purpose as an app on their own, and when submitted aren't imitating another app. The problem is that the developer can change the pic AFTER.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"App Store scammers have been successful in tricking users into downloading fraudulent apps"...

There goes another myth: App Store is safe.
People need to realize that NOTHING computing-related is 100% safe, and lack of common sense can land one in hot water. There is no computing environment that does the "common sense thinking" for you.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"App Store scammers have been successful in tricking users into downloading fraudulent apps"..

There goes another myth: Apple's App Store is safe.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Sorry for the partial double post, Tom's seems to be really delayed in actually posting the first comment. Not even after trying to post the second one either of the comment showed up.

To top it off, you can't even edit your comments, like on TH forums.
Lame, webmaster, lame.

PS. Pretty sure this comment will take 10 mins to appear, as well.

G

There goes another myth: App Store is safe.
These apps are fine in their own right. There's nothing here to indicate they threaten your security or privacy. They only threaten your wallet by pretending they're something they're not. I'm pretty sure Apple can and will force the publisher to refund you in that case.

I'm close to being an Android fanboy, but this complaint doesn't make sense.

G

Apple, protecting the dumb from the dumber since 1862.

Dude, this is fraud, why would you not want to be protected against it?!?

Can I stand next to you and do a Nelson laugh when you enter your debit card pin at a hacked/replaced terminal?

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]No, because it wouldn't be approved.Because the obviously have a purpose as an app on their own, and when submitted aren't imitating another app. The problem is that the developer can change the pic AFTER.[/citation]

So fake apps have a useful purpose??

By your argument a fake app won't be approved, yet will be approved??

If the appstore is as secure as what most people claim fake apps shouldn't get through to begin with and then then there wouldn't be a screenshot issue.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]"App Store scammers have been successful in tricking users into downloading fraudulent apps"..There goes another myth: Apple's App Store is safe.[/citation]

Fraudulent isn't the same as malicious. So I am not certain why the hate for Apple taking steps against fraud? Yeah, yeah you love Android and hate Apple. That has nothing to do with a company taking steps against fraud.

I used Android for a couple years, and hated it for the most part. But if Google were to take steps against fraud I'd applaud them as well. It isn't about the OS, it's about people getting ripped off.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
It's about developers having approved apps that don't do anything malicious but than changing screen shots to make you think you are downloading a different app. In return they make money on in-app ads, purchasing, getting extra downloads and other things they deem valuable.

Thumbs up for improving the App Store
-IvanTO

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]Fraudulent isn't the same as malicious. So I am not certain why the hate for Apple taking steps against fraud? Yeah, yeah you love Android and hate Apple. That has nothing to do with a company taking steps against fraud..[/citation]
Firstly, the initial quote I included was from the article itself. Not my words.
Secondly, I fail to see the "hate" part in my comment. I was just pointing out the fact that the App Store is not as insulated from fraudsters as you and other fanbois like to think. If your argument in their favor is that "fraudulent is not malicious", with the implication that it is not that bad, then I REALLY have a bridge in NY to sell to you.
Thirdly, you seem to conveniently ignore the fact that quite a few bad apples have been removed from Google Play, or as you remember it, Android Market. Just goes to show that my point is valid (read my first comment again).
[citation][nom]lubandroid[/nom]These apps are fine in their own right. There's nothing here to indicate they threaten your security or privacy. They only threaten your wallet by pretending they're something they're not. I'm pretty sure Apple can and will force the publisher to refund you in that case.I'm close to being an Android fanboy, but this complaint doesn't make sense.[/citation]
Read above. What complaint?
BTW, threatening one's wallet is what all is about (malicious apps, fraudulent apps, etc). They all want to get some money from you using some form of deceit.

If that is OK with you, fellas, then I am a Nigerian princess....You know the rest.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I'm quite appalled by Apple's quality control. The most important mobile game developer's demo of the first game in their most important series does not even work and has not worked for ages now. I've vowed never to buy any games from Gameloft as a result and perhaps even the Apple App Store. I'm talking about N.O.V.A. by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.