Apple Looks Inwards for Future of Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Based on the previous Apple Maps fiasco, I fully expect when rolled out to ask where to find the desk of the Director of Marketing and it takes me to a bathroom cubicle

mugiebahar

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I guess there was some problems, but I never had any real problems. Not saying its as good as google maps, but its wasn't that bad.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
[citation][nom]mugiebahar[/nom]I guess there was some problems, but I never had any real problems. Not saying its as good as google maps, but its wasn't that bad.[/citation]

I think the biggest problem was Apple removed the best map app and replaced it with a worse-in-house app. On top of that, you had no say in the matter. You just upgraded and bam your phone just got terrible at navigation even though apple could have given the end user a choice. This is where I don't understand why MS gets flack for their browser, Apple replaced a 3rd party provided app with an in house for the sake of money and competition and at the cost of the end user.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well hell if outdoor maps don't work, focus on indoor maps. I have a hard time imagining much use for this.... some slight use... maybe.... much use... no. Typically finding the building is the hard part, at that point you look for a directory... takes about 5 minutes... about the same time as using this app.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
The article misses the point. This is about Apple tracking you down to a couple feet and selling that information to the stores in the area, and eventually the government.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]the1kingbob[/nom]I think the biggest problem was Apple removed the best map app and replaced it with a worse-in-house app. On top of that, you had no say in the matter. You just upgraded and bam your phone just got terrible at navigation even though apple could have given the end user a choice. This is where I don't understand why MS gets flack for their browser, Apple replaced a 3rd party provided app with an in house for the sake of money and competition and at the cost of the end user.[/citation]

Google Maps for iOS didn't include navigation which is why Apple made the move, so Apple Maps introduced a free navigation app which users didn't previously have. Apple Maps isn't actually that bad, and now users have Google Maps with navigation as a direct result. Win win for iOS users... The only problem is Google Maps isn't as good as the original version created with Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.