Apple May Give Up "Thermonuclear War" With Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
After looking at tablet sales, Samsung probably figured that its more profitable to just make parts for the Ipad than to continue to try to push a competing product which does not sell well except at low price points.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Seems to me like Steve Jobs was a man defined by his gigantic ego. Tim Cook, on the other hand, seems to be able to put his aside and actually address the really, really shitty things the company has been doing.

Winding down the patent war Apple started? Understanding that Apple doesn't own the idea of a rectangular device with a touch screen? Addressing the atrocious labor conditions that Apple exploited while posting record shattering profits? Abolishing Steve's policy of refusing to donate any of said record shattering profits to charity (Tim's already donated more than $100M)?

I think Apple with Tim Cook at the head is a company I don't really hate anymore. Steve Jobs may have made some great products, but he was seriously a piece of shit.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
The end is near, thank you apple for brining us the home pc and smart phones, from now on we will take care of it, you can go back and making great software.

tofu2go

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I actually agree with Jobs that Android was a stolen product (see before and after photos of Android phones). And while I would like to see justice served in general, I also believe that Cook's more cool headed approach is perhaps better for the industry. Android is its own worst enemy--fragmentation, poor app store, etc... Apple doesn't really have anything to fear from them. If anything, Android will keep feds off Apple's back about monopolizing smart phones and will motivate Apple to stay ahead of the competition.

G

apple = drm

Why would anyone buy an apple ?
-Hey, llook at me. I like being restriced and told what to do.
Apple .... Pffffffft.

hardeho

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Willard, Company profits are never donated to charity, the shareholders would flip their shit. The CEO's can, and Tom Cook dpoes, donate from his personal salary.

G

I think people are forgetting that Apple hasn't really been able to do much with their lawsuits, Samsung, Google, HTC, etc.... all these companies make billions of dollars as well, and they can afford the best lawyers as well. If they all consider lawsuits, only the lawyers and their firms will win.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Just because Steve Jobs passed away everyone was raving about how great a guy he was. His death does not change what an asshole he was in life. Good riddance, we don't need greedy crazy people like him around, particularly at the head of a massively successful company who only recently finally started paying (very small) dividends to its shareholders.

I need to keep a look out for the next product that appears to be getting popular, but in my opinion is utterly worthless or extremely overpriced/overhyped (ianything, twitter, dr dre beats). These products are inevitably massively successful so I think I may actually be able to get rich off products that piss me off because of all the stupid sheep buying them.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Just because Apple and Samsung will place nice doesn't mean Apple will do the same with the other manufacturers. We don't need legal precedents set by a settlement to be used in court against all the other manufacturers.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]hardeho[/nom]Willard, Company profits are never donated to charity, the shareholders would flip their shit. The CEO's can, and Tom Cook dpoes, donate from his personal salary.[/citation]
Actually, corporations donate to charity regularly. It buys you tax breaks and goodwill, which is why investors don't typically "flip their shit" when their companies do nice things for the community. The $100M was donated by Apple, not Tim Cook.

Also, Tim Cook doesn't make $100M a year. He got a huge bonus (around $325M) when he became CEO, but it's all in company shares that he won't be able to touch until 2016, due to vesting (standard procedure). He makes less than $1M per year.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
[citation][nom]Anon881918[/nom]After steve died, the apple starts to become rotten apple[/citation]
"You f–king ripped off the iPhone, wholesale ripped us off. Grand theft," he reportedly said, adding that he would "spend my last dying breath" and "every [Apple] penny to right this wrong. I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go to thermonuclear war on this."

Steve's a real Saint, isn't he?

G

Did people forget that St. Steve stole Xerox's idea of the OS he used to make his Mac-in-trash??

G

Did people forget that St. Steve stole Xerox's idea of their OS (what would become Windoze)during a visit which he would later used to make his Mac-in-trash??

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Poor Steve, all he's anger and effort turned to nothing because the new management does not want to keep litigating.

Is like growing a farm, and when you are about to harvest, they throw you an atomic bomb.

G

Apple realizes that they can't patent the wheel after all - even if they develope a shiny white one.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So when the competitors starts to look stronger and stronger they realize that its time to make friends of be left out in the cold when the company have lost to much. I would call it a pretty strategic preparation for things to come!

Status
Not open for further replies.